Prospective Bull-Comments Please!

Help Support CattleToday:

gallowaygirl

Reaction score
I am into White Galloways, and already have a few, but am looking into getting a new bull for the new genetics and to use on my heifers from my bull of the last two years. He is a long yearling, weighs in at about 800#, which I know isn't as large as you will all like, but remember, Galloways are a slower growing animal, and average bull size is only about 1500-1800#. I'm just trying to see what everyone thinks of how he is put together, even though it's hard to tell with all that hair :) Thanks!

P.S: Still trying to figure this picture thing, I hope it works!

DSCN0651.jpg

DSCN0653.jpg

DSCN0656.jpg

Milkmaid - there are a number of breeds with the white body black points.

The true White Park (or ancient White Park) is a horned breed, not closely related to the British White or American White Park, more closely related to Highlands and Galloways. True White Parks are found in Britain, US, Germany, Denmark, Australia and Canada. The most well known herd is the ancient Chillingham herd in England, which dates back to the thirteenth century, and has been a closed herd since. The White Park is a heritage/rare breed. They are about 300 pounds heavier at maturity than British Whites and American White Parks.

The American White Park is a predominantly polled breed (3 - 5% horned), similar in size to Herefords, Shorthorns etc. Its origin is unclear, one theory is that they were developed from British Whites, another theory favours mainly Angus blood with some ancient White Park. Genetic market tests show that American White Parks and ancient White Parks are not closely related, so any contribution to the genetics have been diluted by the introduction of other breeds.

The British White was originally a polled and horned breed, but since 1948 only polled animals have been registered. Similar in size to the American White Park.

The Galloway comes in a range of colours including black, dun (silver through brown), red, white with dark pigment on the points, and belted.

There are other breeds that occasionally display the white body black points, including the Berrenda, N'guni, BON and Texas Longhorn.

MM there is a really good book called breeds of cattle, it has dairy as well as beef and all breeds with pics as well. A beautiful hard cover book.

I got it for my hubby this year for his BD and we both love reading and looking through it. Well worth the money.

Thank you Keren that pretty much answered it. Galloway breeders aren't sure how the white's got in there, either maybe from some White Park influence, or something else, but if so, there couldn't have been too much of it, as Galloways are still VERY polled. Supposedly they will poll out anything, even a longhorn. I haven't tried it yet, but that's what I've heard.

gallowaygirl":1s6xdhev said:
Supposedly they will poll out anything, even a longhorn. I haven't tried it yet, but that's what I've heard.

Of course they will. Simple genetics, a homozygous polled bull or cow will have all polled offspring.

No, he's not very big, but like I said, they are also slow growers. He wouldn't be used until next spring, which would give him plenty of time to grow more. Also, he would mainly be used on the cows that are out of my main bull now, which is only a couple, so he wouldn't be used to an extreme or anything.

Oh. I think I will put a picture of our main bull on here. Feel free to say whatever you want about him, I'm not going to say he's the best, but he was the only registered Galloway we could find at the time. Don't worry-he is in the process of being replaced. So far, even compared to what he looks like, he is throwing fairly nice calves that are straight and are coming out the right color to register so he has that going for him. And we haven't had any cows not come up bred! :banana:

DSCN0525.jpg

So the younger bull (in my opinion) is MUCH nicer, a definite upgrade. But we'll see.

So the younger bull (in my opinion) is MUCH nicer, a definite upgrade. But we'll see.

I agree, however I think you'll need more bull power if you need to breed the get of the older bull.

ALACOWMAN-which country? the younger bull is not at my place, but the older bull is just down at our field. It's fairly nice, but gets wet during winter because it's at the bottom of a hill that has just been developed by rich snobs. :devil2:

KNERSIE":1p79gmyw said:

I agree, however I think you'll need more bull power if you need to breed the get of the older bull.

What do you mean? (I'm still fairly new to cattle, only two years into it :p )

baxter78":3jzogywb said:
gallowaygirl":3jzogywb said:
Oh. I think I will put a picture of our main bull on here. Feel free to say whatever you want about him, I'm not going to say he's the best, but he was the only registered Galloway we could find at the time. Don't worry-he is in the process of being replaced. So far, even compared to what he looks like, he is throwing fairly nice calves that are straight and are coming out the right color to register so he has that going for him. And we haven't had any cows not come up bred! :banana:

DSCN0525.jpg

I would not register any calves out of this bull. He is lacking in depth and has loss conditioning. He does not appear to be an easy keeper. He is an okay bull if you just want to have calves from him but if you are trying to start a registered herd get rid of this bull. The younger one is much butter than this one. Has so much more thickness and depth.

Baxter78, I can't answer your pm as you've disabled your incoming pms. Pm me again when you've changed this

This picture is actually from about 5 months ago, and, if you look at the field, there is hardly any grass, and the whole herd (about 15 at the time) were only getting about 3 small square bales a day, so, in my mind, I thought he was holding condition much better than he looks. And yes, I know, he's not very nice, but, at the time, he was the only reg. white Galloway bull for sale in 5 states. We didn't want to buy him when we did, but we didn't want to use an Angus bull again (no offense Angus people, but having all matching cattle doesn't appeal to me). I'm working on getting rid of him. This year he had a REALLY nice bull calf out of a cow that isn't related to anyone else, so we're going to keep him around to replace him. I'll try to get pictures to show off, but he's kind of hard to tell what he looks like with all the hair he has (Galloway thing, they hide flaws good, but its also more difficult to see the good things) ;)

Well, I figured since I'm throwing pictures out here, I might as well show you another of my bulls. He is out of Red Alert (if that means anything to anyone here) and is one of my first calves. He is out of a white appendix galloway cow and a solid red bull, but because he came out solid, not white, I can't register him. He is about 2 1/2 years old.

DSCN0637.jpg

He is for sale, if anyone is interested. ;-)

Right now he is pastured with two of my angus/galloway heifers. I'm hoping to get calves out of him before he's gone, but we have made the decision that if he doesn't sell by the time we butcher, we might just eat him. Looks like good steak to me!

Let me know what you think!

galloway girl,

I don't mean to be harsh, but if you have to make excuses for him, he isn't good enough! To say they are a slow growing breed just doesn't cut it. 800 lbs as a long yearling is way too small. I know people who breed Galloways and they are capable of much better performance than that. My advice to you is keep looking, your cows deserve beter.

Yes, I am aware that 800 lbs is small, but he's not been on anything but grass and range, and I don't mind if my cattle aren't HUGE. I like that they are a smaller framed cow. None of my cows weigh over 1100 lbs, and they are all full grown and are close to "breed standard" size if you ask me. The younger bulls sire's top weight was 1700 lbs, and that was when he was four. He had been grain fed during his optimal growing period in life, and that was what he finished out at when stuck out to fend for himself. So yes, I know there are some Galloways that are much larger, but when I see a nice, filled out animal, especially if I see where they have been living (scarce mountain climate, lots of snow, wind, not a lot of thick, lush, green grass) I can see how 800 lbs is actually large. I have also seen the crossbred Galloways, (specifically a Charlois/Galloway cross heifer) that are close to 800 lbs and are only about 6 months old. THAT is what I like to see, so knowing that a "small" Galloway can produce something like that, and maintain her body condition on sparse food tells me a lot.

But thanks for the constructive criticism (somebody needs to knock me down a peg or two every now and then :) )