Property names,what are they and how did they get them?

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian Cattleman

Reaction score
Tenterfield,New England Region NSW,Australia
The names of properties (or ranches,stations etc) has always interested me. We have 5 properties,their names are "Rose-Lea" (our home block),names after a lady called "Lea-Rose","Lea-View" which actually overlooks Rose-Lea. "Galvans" names after a man by that name,"Forty Acres" that one is self explanatory and "Glenroy" not sure about this one it was selected by my Grand father who died about 50 years ago and my dad last year so I have no one really to ask of its origins.
I'll be really interested to find out some names.

Colin :cboy:

I live on the "Old Brown Farm" or just the "Brown Farm", not cause my last name is Brown but because the name of the person that homesteaded this place over 100 years ago last name was Brown and we bought it from his son who was pushing 80 years old.

Folks called our farm before this one "The Old Thomlinson Place" as the previous owner of the ranch had a last name of Thomlinson and they had lived there over 70 years.

Possibly one day this place will be refered to by my last name but it's gonna be another 30-40 years before that will happen. We could come up with a fancy name for our ranch but locals will all still know it and refer to it as the Brown farm. Least it makes it easy when giving directions!

J

BTW- I have a dear friend that ranches near Tatyroon and Ballarat (I'm sure I screwed up the spelling of the towns). Are you in the Victoria area?

Our ranch is named El Rancho En Debto. i don't know many that are not in debt. the brand is -$. it is reg. in Texas and Nevada. we freeze brand and it looks good on Black angus cows.

EIEIO":2fd21wv1 said:
I live on the "Old Brown Farm" or just the "Brown Farm", not cause my last name is Brown but because the name of the person that homesteaded this place over 100 years ago last name was Brown and we bought it from his son who was pushing 80 years old.

Folks called our farm before this one "The Old Thomlinson Place" as the previous owner of the ranch had a last name of Thomlinson and they had lived there over 70 years.

Possibly one day this place will be refered to by my last name but it's gonna be another 30-40 years before that will happen. We could come up with a fancy name for our ranch but locals will all still know it and refer to it as the Brown farm. Least it makes it easy when giving directions!

J

That's how most places seem to get their names. It's the "old (last people to live there) place"
This particular one is different. The Barrs were the second ones to homstead the place, nobody remembers who the first ones were. The Bars died out and/or moved about 40 years ago but the place has either been vacant or the only people living here were short timers (4-5 years). It's still known as the "old Barr place". I talked to a grand-son of the last Barrs to live here, he's in his 80's and it's interesting to hear the history of this place from someone that spent their childhood running all over this farm.

dun

Our farm is right on the historical Crown Point Trail, which is the "road" that General Amherst and his British army chose to go from the Fort # 4 in New Hampshire across the mighty Connecticut River to Fort Ticondaroga in NY. Rogers Rangers also frequented this trail as well and some of the giant trees on the property were witness to the activity of that century years ago. We still find Indian and Militia artifacts in the woods near the miles of stone walls every spring while repairing fences. There are many treasure hunters still searching for the solid gold statue stolen from the fort 200+ years ago and valued at over 2 million dollars. The entire story was featured on the mystery channel last year.

Most folks call the farm the Crown Point Hill farm, even though there is an actual farm already called Crown Point a few miles away.

Our farm is comprized from several old smaller farms. We still refer to the different pasture sections as what they used to be, like the Letlow place, the Wet hill, the weaver side and so on. When you talk to people you don't say 'Oh, we live on so and so road, they will look at you kind of funny, but if you say the old Letlow place or the old Harris dairy they know what your talking about. That just goes to show how much a reputation is worth.

sidney411":11x38shu said:
Our farm is comprized from several old smaller farms. We still refer to the different pasture sections as what they used to be, like the Letlow place, the Wet hill, the weaver side and so on. When you talk to people you don't say 'Oh, we live on so and so road, they will look at you kind of funny, but if you say the old Letlow place or the old Harris dairy they know what your talking about. That just goes to show how much a reputation is worth.

The ranch I work for is similar. I don't remember the name with the original piece of property, but we refer to the 2 pieces we added as the 'Berry Property' and the 'Fitzgerald Property.' People in town still refer to the original piece by the name of the last owners.

Ryan

Dr. Knox's ranch. Old Dr. owned 1700 acres or so, died and his son the lawyer sold the place.

Giving property names and using those names in legal transactions was pretty common in colonial times in the US, but not too common anymore.

CowCop":2grg9z7g said:
Our farm is right on the historical Crown Point Trail, which is the "road" that General Amherst and his British army chose to go from the Fort # 4 in New Hampshire across the mighty Connecticut River to Fort Ticondaroga in NY. Rogers Rangers also frequented this trail as well and some of the giant trees on the property were witness to the activity of that century years ago. We still find Indian and Militia artifacts in the woods near the miles of stone walls every spring while repairing fences. There are many treasure hunters still searching for the solid gold statue stolen from the fort 200+ years ago and valued at over 2 million dollars. The entire story was featured on the mystery channel last year.

i got a kick out of the treasure part. we have a place that was once owned by belle starr and one of her husban ds. think it was back in the 1870s. would have to get the abstract out and read it to be sure. she lived in a log cabin on the creek. it was used as a corn crib and later as a hog pen until sometime around ww2. lots of lowlife came and went on that place and other lowlife besides her owned it over the years. its fairly certain sam bass stayed there on his way south just before he pulled the bank job that got him shot. the james brothers would visit along with lesser known outlaws. over the years theres been holes dug all over that place by treasure hunters. plenty of metal detectors have swept it too. i dont figure theres anything there. first of all if there was she would have taken it with her when she sold the place and moved to arkansas. second of all i dont figure she ever had a lot of gold. third of all there were a lot of stories about a guy that was suspected of finding a cache back in the depression. my grandad told the story of how he was always digging around on that place and about the time he quit digging was about the time he had plenty of money all the sudden. who knows. i figure if its there and meant to be found ill find it some day. if not so be it. not going to waste m y time lookin for a long shot dream when plenty of others have already wasted thiers. btw all you treasure hunters who might read this dont waste your time by trying to contact me. i aint interested. lol.

I named our place Tin Can Ranch as a joke on my husband. Money is tight and buildings need repair. He buys used galvanized tin to reroof with. Sometimes even the walls get tinned. So much tin on the place that one day I told him it looked like we live in a tin can. The name stuck.

Since moving to the country this has been a hard lesson. We have street addresses, old farmers refuse to use them. I called to go look at a bull last year, and in a 65 mile trip, I was told to turn South, at a town that no longer exist, then to turn East where an "old red school house used to be", then to Coleman's corner (who are they???) and "40 rods up the road from where the pheasant farm USED to be" I asked him for his ADDRESS, he had to go get the wife.
It makes me feel sorry for the guys that deliver creep feed. I have heard some guys in the feed store giving directions to some remote pasture...WOW! It's like over the hill and through the woods, across two small streams, open 7 gates, drive down the big hill, and it's right there!
I guess I have to much city in me yet. This is MY HOUSE! I will call it my house now, not when I'm dead.

Latest posts