propane tractor, good or bad?

Help Support CattleToday:

Pretty much a popular thing in the 40s and 50's. My dad converted a gas tractor to propane. Oil remains very clean. Maybe less pollution??

Downside: IMO... Propane not nearly as easily obtained as Diesel, even though lot of F&R stores have propane service. Probably not as much power as Diesel?? Unless you have a portable propane tank on wheels, would have to bring your tractor back to your place when it needed re-filling...could be a real pain, though.

We had a Propane Massey Ferguson 65 when I was growing up. It was already old so that may have something to do with it. I was always having to work on the thing to get it started. the regulator was a PITA. Cold weather...might as hook a chain up to it and pull start it with the pickup. Not even ether would get it to fire on a cold day. Parts were getting hard to find back 20 yrs ago for the propane system when we finally got rid of it. The oil stays clean and ditto on having to take it to the refuel source unless you are going to run portable bottles of some sort. How does propane compare to gas price these days?

The propane forklifts seem to work good that are used around cooperatives to load/unload items and inside/around factories. Probably most of the tractors are so old that used propane that is could be a problem just because of age. In the future they might become popular again because of the low emission they produce and the fact that all new tractors are Tier 4 compatible and will be problematic.

I have been around some propane equipment but not alot. Never had any problems but most of them were generators that were kept at the ready (warm). One thing to remember is the btu equivalent: if gas = 100, diesel =110, propane roughly = 76, natural gas roughly = 52. Meaning, propane is roughly 76% as powerful as gasoline in the same motor.

Sizmic

sizmic":3fk54afb said:
I have been around some propane equipment but not alot. Never had any problems but most of them were generators that were kept at the ready (warm). One thing to remember is the btu equivalent: if gas = 100, diesel =110, propane roughly = 76, natural gas roughly = 52. Meaning, propane is roughly 76% as powerful as gasoline in the same motor.

Sizmic

Also factor in the cost of fuels. At our local suppliers last propane we bought for house tank was about $2.69 a gal. Our "red" diesel was $3.46 a gal.

When one factors in the BTU of propane vs. diesel, they're probably about the same cost, diesel little better bang for dollar.

Dad had a late 50's Ford, maybe a 660 and a John Deere 60 both ran LP. He always said they ran cleaner. I think the power is the same.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractor ... d-660.html

236-td3a.jpg

36-td3a.jpg

We had a propane 4020 JD when I was growing up, and a good friend had a propane 3020 JD for several years. They were good tractors. We had a propane tank on wheels, and my friend lived pretty close to the co-op, so fuel supply wasn't a problem. I had a chance to buy the 3020, and wish I would have. It had a 146 JD loader with a joystick, factory axle mount duals, dual hydraulics... it was a very nice, well kept tractor. They're cheaper to buy and cheaper to run than a comparable diesel. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I found one in good condition.

Latest posts