Proof of the fact they look for ways to die

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

544473_394717293894361_251249921574433_1271834_126472658_n.jpg

The bull may have put her there so he would always have some available when he had the desire.

Been there, done that. About a year and a half ago I finished milking the girls and put all but one very pregnant heifer out to pasture. This heifer's name was Rosie, I think, but I always called her Squirrely because she was one of those flighty holstein heifers that didn't want you near her. I walked into her box stall to get a good look at her back door and she decides to jump the gate ending up just like the cow above. Unable to open the gate because her weight had bent the latch bar, I got a wooden box we use for hoof trimming thinking that she could push herself back with her front foot on something. Not so- all she could do was push the box into my shins. Now there is NOBODY around but me this particular evening and the aisle outside the box stall is too narrow for the skid steer. I'm 6'2" 210 lbs. but a lot of what used to be muscle is no longer, but not seeing any alternative and becoming increasingly concerned about what her predicament is doing to her calf, I grabbed her behind each knee, put my left shoulder into her brisket, and hefted her front end back over the gate. Adrenaline- it's amazing stuff. The next day every muscle in my body hurt. Craig

I had one do that a number of years ago, ole #1045, cow from he77! About when we figured a way to get the old grouch un-stuck, she started scrambling and flailing about and worked herself loose.

Katherine

cowmilker":3h8ifq7v said:
Adrenaline- it's amazing stuff. The next day every muscle in my body hurt.
You are so right, it is amazing what we can do if we really have to :nod:

About nine - twelve years ago I milked several daughters of one bull in three different herds and the whole lot were the sort that would look at a gate and take it head-on.
One of those was a tall three year old that had just calved, I brought her to the dairy with the herd and that's what she did... but she wasn't stuck like that because she climbed that gate with her hind feet like it was a ladder, over the top and away she went. Milked her next time.

alisonb":34qomcmn said:
cowmilker":34qomcmn said:
Adrenaline- it's amazing stuff. The next day every muscle in my body hurt.
You are so right, it is amazing what we can do if we really have to :nod:

Yep, like picking the up front end of a old Silverado half ton so that you wouldn't have to explain to dad where you were and why you were there. :secret: Pretty certain it prevented a hate crime.

Had one flip over upsidedown in the chute one time. Now that was a rodeo I could have sold tickets to.
Fixed that problem with the chute when I built the new pen.

My buddy had a Gelbvieh bull do that the day we were going to haul him to the salebarn. Stood straight up and came down on the gate. Crushed it almost to the ground then walked over it. He had never done enything like that before. He could have jumped it the way he could jump. It was like he knew something was up!

Good gates aren't always the best in those situations. Have had a cutting bull almost clear a gate, ran one back leg between the top two bars. Gate was made from 2 3/8's pipe and 3/4 sucker rod. It held, the leg didn't. Jagged break below the hock, by the time we got him out one tendon was all that was holding the foot on. Quick amputation and blood stop, gauze and duct tape and he went to the freezer pen. Finally got fat enough to make hamburger out of. So not a total loss but doubt if I broke even on that deal.

Latest posts