prolapsed cow ? UPDATE!

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds":1tfoyau2 said:
Sorry Dun I disagree. We have had mothers cows do uterine prolapse and their daughters did the same thing. Heritary. Never kept them a second year. Shipped as kill cows.

I'm only speaking from my experience. The cows that prolapsed either died or went to slaughter after weaning

I can only remember two cows prolapsing (uterine - 0 vaginals) (dang I hate to type that - don't want to jinx us) - it was an assisted birth on a heifer. Kept both, never to be repeated by them or offspring.
Yes, there can be inherited problems, but some are management. It takes a MANAGER to weigh the decision.
I Luv Hfd - did they have calving difficulties? maybe they had small pelvic areas that were passed on to their offspring - maybe in your case, it was heritable. But, as said, research says vaginal prolapses are more likely hertitable than uterine.
As I said in another post - not everything is black & white. You must manage your own herd to make the best/most profit. Whether that profit is in immediate $$ or genetics or just a humane decision.

TB we had the vet put it back in and purse string them and let the cows raise them. We did end up with a couple of bottle calves due to the cow tearing the vein running to the uteriste and died.

Jeanne the first one I saw was a 110# bull calf that was pulled. One cow had a small pelvis.
The rest were big surprises. unassited deliveries and moderately weight calves.

I believe they are both hereditery.

Latest posts