prolapsed cow calved

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
had a cow prolapse calving last year.well we put it back in an sewed her up.well she calved again today.had a nice size red bull calf.an cow an calf are just fine.just goes to show that a cow can prolapse.an breed an calve back.an everything be ok.

Workinonit Farm":38j2y34b said:
That's good news.

Sometimes it works out okay and sometimes not. Glad it worked out okay for you.

Katherine
yes its very good news.im posting this in hopes that people know just because a cow prolapses.an you fix her.it doesnt make her a cull.she can breed back an calve ok.

bigbull338":3vs9vriu said:
im posting this in hopes that people know just because a cow prolapses.an you fix her.it doesnt make her a cull.she can breed back an calve ok.

Many will breed back and calve just fine. I think there may be one or two others on this board who have had the same experience. My memory may be wrong, but possibly dun, Texan and maybe Beefy? had successes with previously prolapsed cows.

Katherine

Bigbull - I just sold a cow this fall that had prolapsed for the past 3 years. She would calve and breed back fine each year. The problem is that the prolapse got worse each year. The first year I was able to put it back in. The last 2 years, the vet had to put it back in & sow it closed. You had to be very diligent watching for labor so you could cut the ties. I was sad to see her go, but it had to be done.

nagwag":1g8hqlgj said:
Bigbull - I just sold a cow this fall that had prolapsed for the past 3 years. She would calve and breed back fine each year. The problem is that the prolapse got worse each year. The first year I was able to put it back in. The last 2 years, the vet had to put it back in & sow it closed. You had to be very diligent watching for labor so you could cut the ties. I was sad to see her go, but it had to be done.
the vet has only done 1 prolapse for us in 35yrs.if a cow prolapsed.we would put it back in an sew her up.i dont think weve ever had a cow to prolapse twice.never had to cut the stitches for a cow to calve.the thread would dissolve on its on.

nagwag":wugvyx14 said:

I think you guys are talking about different types of prolapse. Bigbull's I think was a Uterine prolapse at calving and you I think are talking about a Vaginal prolapse.

Uterine isn't supposed to be hereditary, and Vaginal usually IS hereditary.

bigbull338":3bzb463c said:
had a cow prolapse calving last year.well we put it back in an sewed her up.well she calved again today.had a nice size red bull calf.an cow an calf are just fine.just goes to show that a cow can prolapse.an breed an calve back.an everything be ok.

Uterine or vaginal? One of the neighbor's cows vaginally prolapsed a full month post-calving. He's a professional vacationer and I keep some cattle at his place in return for caring for his. He was in Florida at the time so we brought her home and stitched her up. Two weeks later cut the stitches out and left her in quarantine pen. She came into heat two days after that and shot it back out again. Long story short the wife put enough stitches in her this time to hold a canvas on a bar-top trailer and they will stay there til she gets beheaded.

cfpinz

TNfamilyfarm":6uqeiuk4 said:
di you sew her up last year or did the vet?
it was a uterine prolapse/where she lost her whole womb.as stated before its been 35yrs since used the vet on a uterine prolapse.we just put her back togather.used regular thread.an it dissolved on its own.

Glad to hear of your success, but that is pretty heritable as far as I am concerned. We had a Hereford line that produced prolapsers. After the 4th 1st calf heifer from the old cow prolapsed we had figured it out. Thank god we sold them each year when they did it. If that's what works for you, I can't judge too much. It just doesn't work around here. There are other cows out there that calve out each year with no problems that can replace the prolapse cows.

Uterine prolapse CAN be heritable ( was quite common in Hereford lines). But, most Ut Pro are caused from dystocia, and if caught & fixed properly, may never do it again. We had one that did it as a first calf heifer, but never again.

Latest posts