Prolapsed Anus

Help Support CattleToday:

Campground Cattle

Reaction score
I thought I had every problem you could have with a cow this is a new on me. Cow has two month old healthy heifer had no calving promlems is 6 years old. Now I have problems in thirty years with prolapse before, it was always with calving. Have any of ya'll had this before on a cow that was perfectly healty yesterday. On the way to the vet.

I have seen it all now the vet took one inch pcv pipe about 4 inches long with a coupling on each end. The vet inserted up the anus and tied off between the coupling. He stated the intestine of the outside would sluf off and scar over. As soon as her calf reaches six months the cow is sale barn bound. The vet this just happens once in awhile.now I have been messin with cows for over thirty years and I have never seen this.

That must have been one big prolapse. I had it happen in a young Brangus bull that was getting prepared for a purbred sale. It was only a small prolapse, the vet tied a purse string suture around the anus to keep it in, and left the string long enough so as I could cut it at the end of two weeks.

Well, the bull would not eat, lost weight and could not pass his bowels. I had to give him enemas twice each day because he would stand out there trying to vomit. So after about 4 days , I pulled the suture. He went right over and started eating and did fine. He never prolapsed again as long as I owned him.

Other people more knowledgeable than me said that if it was small, and the one I just described was (stuck out about 2 inches), it should have been left alone and most heal themselves.

The pvc thing sound drastic and horrible, I would think also quite uncomfortable. Watch her intake and bowel movements and act accordingly- keep us posted. I'm goin to keep my eye on the hamburger I eat, just incase the pvc is not passed .

Billy

She's doing fine today key word today. The cow actually looks better have her up in a two acre lot on grass and hay and she is eating well. No matter as soon as this calf is weaned off to the sale barn. Be my luck she will head strait down hill and will need a shot. This is just part of the cattle business. It couldn't be one of those dang Brangus I have been culling due to age.

MrBilly":1hctg6u5 said:
That must have been one big prolapse. I had it happen in a young Brangus bull that was getting prepared for a purbred sale. It was only a small prolapse, the vet tied a purse string suture around the anus to keep it in, and left the string long enough so as I could cut it at the end of two weeks.

Well, the bull would not eat, lost weight and could not pass his bowels. I had to give him enemas twice each day because he would stand out there trying to vomit. So after about 4 days , I pulled the suture. He went right over and started eating and did fine. He never prolapsed again as long as I owned him.

Other people more knowledgeable than me said that if it was small, and the one I just described was (stuck out about 2 inches), it should have been left alone and most heal themselves.

The pvc thing sound drastic and horrible, I would think also quite uncomfortable. Watch her intake and bowel movements and act accordingly- keep us posted. I'm goin to keep my eye on the hamburger I eat, just incase the pvc is not passed .

Billy

Cow is doing better everyday eating fine taking care of the calf,still hasn't passed the pvc. We are real lucky here we have a great large animal vet.