Prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

Wick

Reaction score
A few years back I had three cows prolapse. In which all 3 cows died and one of the calves. The other 2 were fine and bottle fed. The thing I don't understand is how come this happens. The cow were big Charolais Momma cows and the calves were not excessivly big for them to have. The cows were fed the same as the other cows here and have acess to free choice mineral all the time. This just puzzles me to no end. I understand that if a cow has a hard labor or if they just keep a pushin after the calf is out that this can happen but that was not hte case. Any thoughts??????

Did you have a vet put the prolapses back in and sew up.

Have had a number of prolapses over the years and never had one die. Some were out a cpl of days before they were put back in.

Where are you located. Down here in the south it not to cold. Could see a problem up nort where very cold.

Johnny

It wasn't that cold. I am talking a complete uterine prolapse. Its huge when this happens. I have had them come out in past years but like one in 10-20 years. Dun advised genetics but none of the cows were related and the sires on the calves were all different. Getting a vet here sometimes is like hitting the lottery.

Vets are tough to get out in my area too. Plus I hate paying a vet all that money so I usually push it back in and sew it myself. It can be a lot of work and usually takes at least 2 people but its worth a shot if it saves the cow.

novaman":19lquc47 said:
Vets are tough to get out in my area too. Plus I hate paying a vet all that money so I usually push it back in and sew it myself. It can be a lot of work and usually takes at least 2 people but its worth a shot if it saves the cow.
like shovin a basketball through a key hole

Our vet gives the cows an epidural shot to keep them from pushing it back out as he pushes it in. After putting it back in he sews her up and loads her up with antibiotics. Haven't lost one yet.

Guess we are lucky here, have three vets here in town within 15 miles of us. All three do lage animal work and farm visits.

The Vet we use is the greatest. He works late afternoons or on Sat if we need him. Works strictly by himself. Keeps clinics in two different towns open with no receptionist or help.

Trying to talk one of my sons into Vet School cause in this guy retires I will be out of luck.

The Vet school here in MS is like most in that about 90% don't want to do large animal work.

Seems that grades are by far most important requirement to get in. Also seems that young people with a farm background that want in haven't always been up to par on grades.

Hope the Vet Schools start looking at things beside grades before we run out of large animal Vets.

Johnny

Genetics, dystocia & Selenium Deficiency are probably the biggest factors on prolapse.
We've had a couple over the years (heifers) - vet taught us to give epidermal shot & coat the prolapse with dry sugar. It helps it shrink up, & makes it gritty so you can grip it to push. Old vet's trick.

Latest posts