Processing

Help Support CattleToday:

Dega Moo":1020sd8e said:
sudonsan":1020sd8e said:
Just like nutritional labels

http://www.tlbaa.org/Registered%20Lean% ... beefad.jpg

Also, grams for protein and fat, and mgms for cholesterol.

Info can be found in a number of cattle magazines - not just longhorn publications. My husband's boss is a beefmaster breeder and was surprised to find an article about the nutritional benefits of longhorns in their publication.

Texas A&M has done studies as well.

This is a bit curious. First, it looks like a 3.5 oz serving of Longhorn has fewer combined grams of protein and fat than a 3.5 oz serving of any of the other 'meats'. As far as I know there's only protein, fat and carbs and no carbs will be found in any of these meats so it must be a difference of water. In other words, on a dry matter basis then these are not equal servings if those numbers are accepted.

Second, carbs and protein release 5 calories per gram while fat releases 9 calories per gram. So 3.5 oz of Longhorn beef with 25.5 grams of protein and 3.7 grams of fat would release 160.8 calories rather than the stated 140. White meat chicken would accordingly release 195 calories rather than the 173 stated. Accepting the numbers as provided requires suspending the laws of physics or those of basic math.

Yep. :clap:

Fat
When your body runs out of glucose, it turns to fat for energy, which has 9 calories in every gram. This is a little more than double the amount in carbohydrates. Converting fat into energy takes longer than it does to convert glucose into energy, because fat must be first be broken down into its two component parts: fatty acid and glycerol. Each part follows a separate pathway to ultimately become available as energy. One common saturated fat, palmitic acid, makes 130 molecules of ATP for each molecule of fat.
Protein
Your body prefers not to use protein for energy because it is specifically needed to build and repair all kinds of tissues. Your muscles, hair, skin, organs, enzymes, antibodies and hormones depend on proteins. In short, proteins have other essential jobs to fill. If you don't have enough carbohydrates or fats to meet your energy needs, amino acids from dietary protein are converted into energy. Each gram of protein equals four calories.

This adds up to: 154.1 chicken calories and 135.3 longhorn beef, if you want to be technical. And, further assumes everything is an exact round number. Guess people don't want longhorn beef to be healthy?

sudonsan":ybatvgyt said:
Fat
When your body runs out of glucose, it turns to fat for energy, which has 9 calories in every gram. This is a little more than double the amount in carbohydrates. Converting fat into energy takes longer than it does to convert glucose into energy, because fat must be first be broken down into its two component parts: fatty acid and glycerol. Each part follows a separate pathway to ultimately become available as energy. One common saturated fat, palmitic acid, makes 130 molecules of ATP for each molecule of fat.
Protein
Your body prefers not to use protein for energy because it is specifically needed to build and repair all kinds of tissues. Your muscles, hair, skin, organs, enzymes, antibodies and hormones depend on proteins. In short, proteins have other essential jobs to fill. If you don't have enough carbohydrates or fats to meet your energy needs, amino acids from dietary protein are converted into energy. Each gram of protein equals four calories.

This adds up to: 154.1 chicken calories and 135.3 longhorn beef, if you want to be technical. And, further assumes everything is an exact round number. Guess people don't want longhorn beef to be healthy? It's not that at all - rather it's we don't each get our own separate set of 'facts' to use defending our positions.

The long and currently accepted values for calories is 9 for fat and 5 for protein, regardless of the preference of the body for either as a fuel. But that doesn't really matter in the numbers you provided because your example is dominated by the 'fact' that there's less total protein and fat in 3.5oz of longhorn beef than in 3.5oz of white meat chicken ( for that matter in all of the examples on the web page). The only way that can occur is there is more water in the longhorn beef sample. Factually, there must be 6.2 grams more water in that Longhorn serving.

Can you effectively explain how that comes to pass as equivalent samples?

Please note that I'm not attacking the concept that eating Longhorn beef is healthy as I believe red meat is or can be healthy. Nor am I questioning lower cholesterol numbers of grass fed beef. I am questioning the facts being used to support the original implied contention and that of the cited web page that Longhorn beef is healthier than the other protein sources listed or provides fewer calories that other breeds.

I always thought that a serving was 4 oz.
I like Belgian Blue beef. Delicious. The following is based on a 4 oz serving. Wonder what 4 oz of Longhorn meat would be?

chart-01.jpg

Dega Moo":348vlrv2 said:
sudonsan":348vlrv2 said:
Fat
Protein

This adds up to: 154.1 chicken calories and 135.3 longhorn beef, if you want to be technical. And, further assumes everything is an exact round number. Guess people don't want longhorn beef to be healthy? It's not that at all - rather it's we don't each get our own separate set of 'facts' to use defending our positions.

The long and currently accepted values for calories is 9 for fat and 5 for protein, regardless of the preference of the body for either as a fuel. But that doesn't really matter in the numbers you provided because your example is dominated by the 'fact' that there's less total protein and fat in 3.5oz of longhorn beef than in 3.5oz of white meat chicken ( for that matter in all of the examples on the web page). The only way that can occur is there is more water in the longhorn beef sample. Factually, there must be 6.2 grams more water in that Longhorn serving.

Please note that I'm not attacking the concept that eating Longhorn beef is healthy as I believe red meat is or can be healthy. Nor am I questioning lower cholesterol numbers of grass fed beef. I am questioning the facts being used to support the original implied contention and that of the cited web page that Longhorn beef is healthier than the other protein sources listed or provides fewer calories that other breeds.

As a 'newbie' not feeling welcome. I'm gone.

sudonsan":1s2xx6th said:
Dega Moo":1s2xx6th said:
sudonsan":1s2xx6th said:
Fat
Protein

As a 'newbie' not feeling welcome. I'm gone.
Your leaving because someone question your statement, and tried to have a discussion about meat's nutritional value?

Well have a nice trip. :tiphat:

Maybe someone should ask the Longhorn association how they calculated this... The OP obviously was just passing on the info received from the breed association.

:shrug:

No - this started as a question about processing. I quoted what the national organization Texas Longhorn Breeders Association of America provides to its members and I HAVE BEEN REPEATEDLY expected to defend this. How in the world is a NEWBIE supposed to defend with the national organization has researched and provided their members???? And your comment is FLIP and NOT welcoming AT ALL. I don't know it all - not even close - I am a NEWBIE. But to repeatedly CHALLENGE me is ridiculous! SOME people wanted to have a discussion - but a few wanted to be RIGHT - different entirely. I'm not leaving cattle or longhorns - only judgmental people. I am tired of trying to DEFEND, not discuss - did you read the entire thread??? It wasn't ONE comment. How can I defend research I didn't do????

Some of the people here do not want to welcome new people.

WalnutCrest":3aid6e3t said:
Maybe someone should ask the Longhorn association how they calculated this... The OP obviously was just passing on the info received from the breed association.

:shrug:

Thank you.

I have checked the web and need to admit that when I said that 5 calories was the current accepted number of calories for protein (and carbs) I was incorrect and it is 4.

With that said, the real problem remains with the amount of water in a given serving size.

sudonsan":2e7tfug1 said:
No - this started as a question about processing. I quoted what the national organization Texas Longhorn Breeders Association of America provides to its members and I HAVE BEEN REPEATEDLY expected to defend this. How in the world is a NEWBIE supposed to defend with the national organization has researched and provided their members???? And your comment is FLIP and NOT welcoming AT ALL. I don't know it all - not even close - I am a NEWBIE. But to repeatedly CHALLENGE me is ridiculous! SOME people wanted to have a discussion - but a few wanted to be RIGHT - different entirely. I'm not leaving cattle or longhorns - only judgmental people. I am tired of trying to DEFEND, not discuss - did you read the entire thread??? It wasn't ONE comment. How can I defend research I didn't do????

:welcome:

Your post came off like a commercial and folks here are pretty jaded to that kind of stuff. Besides we have already had enuf smoke blown up our a$$es to last a lifetime.

Believe me i have seen far worse but whippins administered on CT than what u got.

BTW :welcome: to Cattle Today.

No - I asked about processing - hoof to processed. Someone said that to give me an accurate answer they needed to know breed. When I said 'longhorns' the LH haters pounced. As a newbie I stated why I am raising longhorns. Then I was attacked by some.

As a newbie, I do NOT think I deserved ANY whippin - 'Believe me i have seen far worse but whippins administered on CT than what u got.' and this does not justify people attacking me because 'they are jaded.'

This does not IN ANY WAY feel welcoming. I haven't attacked ANY one, and did not deserve to be whipped.

sudonsan":3egn41fe said:

Well it appears to me that you went on defending it instead of saying "I don't know the details myself but this is what they say". Then if someone had problem with it, you can just leave it at that. Or you could keep posting, and get mad then want to say everyone is so mean here, and hates newbies. Only one forcing you to post, or be offended, is yourself. People here are crude, skeptic, and straight forward, and it's not just this board, it's the whole beef industry. You don't make money believing everything you read, not everyone talks smooth, and poetic, and for sure they don't hold back any feelings on a subject. There have been threads on here that I felt like I was getting shot at from all sides, but when I leaned back in my chair, I soon didn't care, and the thread went away.
Always give it a good fight, and don't hold back. Don't quit just because someone doesn't like you.
When you get knocked down and defeated wimps quit, but the bold dust off their pants, tip their hat, and move on.

:welcome: to the boards, and I hope you stick around to see me get a beating. :lol2: ;-)

sudonsan":6hmv9cct said:
No - I asked about processing - hoof to processed. Someone said that to give me an accurate answer they needed to know breed. When I said 'longhorns' the LH haters pounced. As a newbie I stated why I am raising longhorns. Then I was attacked by some.

As a newbie, I do NOT think I deserved ANY whippin - 'Believe me i have seen far worse but whippins administered on CT than what u got.' and this does not justify people attacking me because 'they are jaded.'

This does not IN ANY WAY feel welcoming. I haven't attacked ANY one, and did not deserve to be whipped.

No one attacked you. Now stop :cry2: and move on to another thread. This one is just gonna get worse for you.

sudonsan":t3tzbam6 said:

As 3way stated, you got a little smack on the rear side for your comment, compare that to some real toe to toe battles ( that usually get locked) and just plain azz kickings that happen here from time to time. You need a lot thicker skin, regroup and continue to post.

:tiphat: and :welcome:

Latest posts