Processing Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

jwggriff

Reaction score
I have a healthy 5 year old Longhorn Steer that I want to have processed. Is this steer to old for anything but ground beef? This is our first steer of this age to process and want to get the best quality of meats we can. Thanks for any input.

Let the processor split the sides hand it and decide. He can tell you what is best if he honest

Hang it for a couple of weeks and have the butcher cut you a couple of steaks. Gve them a try, if they;'re tough grind it it, otherwise just process it like usual

hooknline":2zvmm210 said:
*hang* the sides, not hand..stupid phone

I'm really glad you clarified that. Here I was thinking this was more jargon I was gonna have to try and look up or ask somebody without sounding totally blonde/clueless... :lol2: :help: :lol2:

Our rule of thumb is that if the animal is over 30 months old, it is all hamburger. When we butcher one of ours, we do it before 24 months old.

On an "old" one, IMO, just keep the tenderloins, ribeyes, top sirloin and grind the rest.

hooknline":2t3drxvn said:
*hang* the sides, not hand..stupid phone
Got me one of those phones also that auto corrects (many times incorrectly) spelling. Hard to say what I send sometimes.
I would think a 5 year old longhorn steer might need to be hamburger.

Started out as "yard art". He came with the starter herd I bought. With the drought, cost of feed etc. it's time for him to go.

jwggriff":39zq4om7 said:
Started out as "yard art". He came with the starter herd I bought. With the drought, cost of feed etc. it's time for him to go.

I tend to like my yard art in the form of flowers or statues that do not eat. ;-)

jwggriff":red6kwwc said:
hahaha...in reality that was a long time ago....you can have you "hard art" but keep turning over inventory... :D

ok guys here's a question for ya. we have a 18month holstein steer that we've been feeding grain and hay for the last 90 days. he is not fat by any means and i think we will feed him another 30 days for sure. would a holstein be different for cuts of meat verses a beef steer? what type of cuts would you avoid with a holstein? my quess is he weighs about 1000lbs plus, he is really tall just not to bulky. would it be better to wait until he is heavier/older are go ahead and butcher him in 30 days. we have had beef cow's for a long time just have never keep one to butcher. the only reason we have him is bcuz we had to bottle feed a twin and thought we might as well feed two. if he turns out ok we might end up keeping one of our good beef steers next time.

snickers":k6xwxe3j said:
ok guys here's a question for ya. we have a 18month holstein steer that we've been feeding grain and hay for the last 90 days. he is not fat by any means and i think we will feed him another 30 days for sure. would a holstein be different for cuts of meat verses a beef steer? what type of cuts would you avoid with a holstein? my quess is he weighs about 1000lbs plus, he is really tall just not to bulky. would it be better to wait until he is heavier/older are go ahead and butcher him in 30 days. we have had beef cow's for a long time just have never keep one to butcher. the only reason we have him is bcuz we had to bottle feed a twin and thought we might as well feed two. if he turns out ok we might end up keeping one of our good beef steers next time.

I'd butcher him sooner rather than later as long as he has a reasonable amount of cover on him. Cuts are exactly the same, just not the exact same shape. No reason not to butcher a holstein steer, finished well they make very good eating.

Latest posts