processing feral hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
My "inbox" is getting questions.

This is how I process hogs.

Get yourself a pair of loppers and wash them. Lop the armor plate in half, right up the middle, that run up the chest. The heart and lungs are inside that plate, in front of the front legs. Lop off the front and back legs below the hocks before you skin them (lopping the legs works great on deer too). After you skin them, lop their ribs adjacent to the backbone. You'll have to cut to the rib with your knife first. Keep the knife edge right against the back bone and go up the hog bouncing along on the ribs. Have someone pulling out that half while you are lopping the ribs (chiefgriz is good at that part). Take the whole half and put it in the ice chest, ice it. Then go back and lop the backbone out of the other half and then put it in the ice chest as well, another layer of ice. Those halves are beautiful looking when you're done.

I put one quart of vinegar in a 150 quart 5 day ice chest. I put 1 whole lemon, squeezed in there. I put one cup of salt. Some others put in 3 cups of brown sugar too but I have not tried that yet. Let that set for 8 hours and it will brine the meat just fine. (You could do that with a really rank buck too). Drain the water and brine, then re-fill the ice chest with water about every 6 hours for a couple of days draining it. That rinses everything well.

I have to admit that I am not an old time hog person. Kind of new at this but everything I do I learned over on Texasboars.com forum about 2 years ago.

I smoke the entire hog and the meat falls off of the bone. Baby back ribs are best on hogs over 200 lbs but pretty darn good on 100 pounders. The best meat is in the front shoulder in my opinion, once smoked.

While you are smoking them it might be best to cut the halves in half if you are going to turn them (big slab of hot meat) or rotate them from the cool front to the fire in the back. Half of a 100 pound dressed hog is a heavy piece of meat, especially when its hot. You'll need some good glaves.

You can rub them down with any kind of rub before you smoke them. You can baste them while they are being smoked. Just remember that everytime you open the smoker hatch you loose most of your heat and you add to your cooking time. Cook them very thoroughly.

Chiefgriz and I smoked two at thanksgiving. Sister-in-law was cautious and cooked a turkey. The turkey wasn't eaten. They were calling up friends and neighbors, "come on over here and try this hog...." Even the little kids had hog on their faces. No one wanted turkey. We cooked two and there wasn't much pickings left.

Chiefgriz or anyone else can jump in here for anything I forgot to mention or missed.

warpaint":1vi14qee said:
Now you gone and done it boogie. Got my mouth a waterin for me some ribs. :p

Well get out there and kill a bunch. We all need to do our share to be rid of those rut rooting fence wreckers.

All right if you are going to have a hog killin need to do it right, first need a butthole cold day, a couple of 55 gallon drums with a fire built under them gettin the water hot scald the hair off the demon. Cut up 2 or 3 old tin cans in half to scape the hair off the varmit. Then gut the varmit be sure to save the intestines got to wash them in clorox water after all the **** has been slung out for sausage casing. Now proceed to rubbing hams and bacon down with sugar cure and hang in smoke house using bear grass to hang with. Bone out shoulders neck and other parts mix with seasoning stuff hog intestine with sausage roll and tie in about 12 inch lengths, proceed to smoke house with suasage. After sausage has cured place in old churn and cover with hog lard until needed for supper at a later date.

Caustic Burno":i9jf2e4d said:
All right if you are going to have a hog killin need to do it right, first need a butthole cold day, a couple of 55 gallon drums with a fire built under them gettin the water hot scald the hair off the demon. Cut up 2 or 3 old tin cans in half to scape the hair off the varmit. Then gut the varmit be sure to save the intestines got to wash them in clorox water after all the be nice has been slung out for sausage casing. Now proceed to rubbing hams and bacon down with sugar cure and hang in smoke house using bear grass to hang with. Bone out shoulders neck and other parts mix with seasoning stuff hog intestine with sausage roll and tie in about 12 inch lengths, proceed to smoke house with suasage. After sausage has cured place in old churn and cover with hog lard until needed for supper at a later date.

There you go again Caustic, making sense. You're telling it just like the old timers do. Hang yourself a hog up and they come out of the woodwork telling you how you're doing it all wrong. They all want you to get water pots to 150 degrees to dip 'em and scrape 'em. Then they all go one telling it to ya. Kind of neat to listen at. We enjoy them being around. Most of my generation hasn't had to cure hams and such. I'd like to know (and have the time to do it right).

One man was telling me how they used to have to rope the front leg, then the back, stretch 'em out flat, then saw off their long cutters wtih a hacksaw and castrate them. Thought he was going off on a yarn but couldn't find a grin on that poker face. Then he told me to pitch the little boars out and he'd castrate them for me. So I was jerking them up and putting them down. Whack whack he was done. No blood or nothing. I couldn't catch those little boogers quick enough. He knew what the heck he was talking about. I wanted to know how to do it but he was so doggone fast I didn't learn a thing. Got them all castrated tho.

Just tryin to teach kids is so hard today.

Directions For Smoking
Build a fire in the firebox with non-resinous dry wood. After the wood has burned down to red coals, put on a few pieces of green hardwood or hardwood sawdust. If green wood is not available, use semi-dry wood or hardwood sawdust.
Hang pieces of meat in the drum, 6 to 8 inches apart. Put cover on firebox and place wood cover on top of drum, weighting it down with a stone or brick. Keep temperature in the drum below 140-150°F. If there is not enough draft, raise firebox cover at the back. Smoke meat until it is a bright nut brown color. This may take several hours or most of the day, depending on the heat of the firebox and the outside temperature.

After this process, the meat is now smoked, but not cooked. The internal temperature of a smoked meat product is in the 140° range. Smoked products are NOT fully cooked, remove meat from smokehouse and cook thoroughly before eating.

Latest posts