feral hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
In our area feral hogs have to be 70 lbs or more for a processor to buy them, the majority trapped are under that weight, could a person take a 40 to 50 lb pig and feed till it reaches 70 lbs, and make a profit? The buying price is .30 a lb for approved weight hog, I have been told ( no) because of the feed conversion ratio in captivity.

You have been told right. You would be better off just buying some weanlings and raising them for the butcher. You still probably won't make money unless you are raising some heritage breed and the butcher has a niche market. A true wild hog will be a sieve for feed and not gain anything compared to their domesticated genetically improved counterparts.

Agree, and don't try to raise a pen full of little feral piglets either. Even if cut, they just don't grow good under domestic conditions. btdt--lost my butt on it and ended up with pork chops about as big around as a silver dollar---just couldn't afford to feed them any more.

Just out of my own curiosity, the processor have a upper end for a weight limit? Will they take an old boar?

Found web site in Nacogdoches County Tx. who are a holding facility and buy hogs, they then sell to processing plant who ships the meat world wide. Price they paid in 2012 was 50 to 85lbs=.12 lb - 86 to 110 lbs= .20 lb -- 111 to 210 lbs= .35 lb all over 200 lbs they pay .45 lb . So Alan I believe they would buy an old boar so long as it was healthy.

cowboy43":2yvaaylj said:
Found web site in Nacogdoches County Tx. who are a holding facility and buy hogs, they then sell to processing plant who ships the meat world wide. Price they paid in 2012 was 50 to 85lbs=.12 lb - 86 to 110 lbs= .20 lb -- 111 to 210 lbs= .35 lb all over 200 lbs they pay .45 lb . So Alan I believe they would buy an old boar so long as it was healthy.
I believe it will be fine Alan--You seem pretty healthy--for what all ya been thru anyway.
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

There are people who will buy wild hogs. They use them for hunting. You know, someone pays them to hunt the hog.
I don't know where you are located, but the auction barns that I have been to usually have flyers posted by the buyers.

DON"T waste your time and money trying to feed one to a good butcher size. It will be the most expensive pork you have ever had. Been there, done that. Never again.

greybeard":1ce2xpbo said:
cowboy43":1ce2xpbo said:
I believe it will be fine Alan--You seem pretty healthy--for what all ya been thru anyway.
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

You know, my wife calls me an old boar all the time! But I think she is saying I'm an old Boer, it can't be I'm an old bore.

I'm going back to my chair in the living room, turn on the TV for a few hours and ponder this.

Latest posts