problem with bull

Help Support CattleToday:

sporder

Reaction score
for the past 3 days my 19 month old hereford bull has gone off his food. usually he comes straight over and eats untill he is content but not recently. he seems to stand there looking lost and depressed. is it possible for him to get depressed? i brought him several months ago from a respected breeder in which the bull had been penned with other bulls. since i have had him he has been alone but for 6 calves opposite. he still looks in good condition but i am worried that this will not be the case if he does not start to eat. the only other thing i have done different recently is provide him with a mineral lick. could this have upset him. all thoughts would be helpfull

I think he's depressed physically not mentally. If he really overate on the mineral lick it might upset him but he shouldn't be off feed this long. I would have the vet out to check for hardware, twisted stomach, rumen acidosis, etc. IMO if he's been off a few days I woulnt be waiting to see if a shot or a magnet makes a difference. Most bulls have a lot invested in them at this point. If one of my boys did this I'd be very concerned as they generally would do anything for food. I have kept bulls separated with fenceline friends with no problems mentally.

Is he running a temp? Ruminating? What are his stools like? Does he stand humped? Ears down? This info might help.

will take your advice and get vet out tomorrow. there is very little poo in his pen which leads me to think that he could be constipated. could this be the problem and if so what could have caused this?

sporder":1btas2vk said:
will take your advice and get vet out tomorrow. there is very little poo in his pen which leads me to think that he could be constipated. could this be the problem and if so what could have caused this?

Get storeys guide to raising beef cattle and you would not even be asking these questions. It is a great book.

i dont wish to put anyone out by asking these questions but this seems to be the quickiest way of getting information back on certain topics. books are very helpfull but generaly give one point of view where as on here you get more opinions which can be more upto date. on here you also get to know certain people and know who knows their stuff.

Sounds like he is sick . Get a temp on him first, then go from there . Make sure you get the vet out as quickly as possible .

Larry