Private Treaty Bull Sales

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest":627teaqk said:
Lucky_P":627teaqk said:
I grew up in UCLA(upper corner of lower Alabama). I can talk as 'country' as anyone here (just ask Bigfoot); but I'm going to write - unless I'm making a point or being funny - in a grammatically proper manner. Just because I have a Southern drawl, it doesn't mean that I'm ignorant.

It's funny, but my wife and I were talking about the same thing the other day. I come from an extremely academic family and she comes from a more blue-collar family. I have a really hard time looking past those types of things when I'm going to buy something, but she doesn't seem to care at all-as long as the message is clearly stated that is. If I'm spending a decent amount of money, I expect a certain class from the person/business. Example: I'm not spending $25 for an expensive dinner at a mom and pop greasy spoon where they use plastic baskets and plastic forks. I once went to a seafood place in Maine that did that. Apparently (I don't do seafood so I had a burger), it was wonderful, but it came out in those plastic baskets and I felt ripped off. I don't care how great it's supposed to be, I just can't do it. However, I'm working to overcome that, but sometimes old habits are hard to kill. Sometimes it's the packaging that kills the product, no matter how good it is.

Your just to high class, the best meals are served on Butcher paper.

Lucky_P":14cg57sq said:
Butch,
It's not just us 'Southern' boys. I see plenty of northern/western folks who use the wrong choice of your/you're, there/their/they're, lose/loose, or type 'where' for 'were'.
Just because I have a Southern drawl, it doesn't mean that I'm ignorant.

I know, I know and I'm guilty of it myself and it's a prove fact that there is no correlation between spelling and IQ.
It's just I had never seen the sale/sell before coming on here. At first I thought it was just a typo, but over the years
started to see it so often that I realized it was by choice and not a mistake or typo.
It's one that humors me rather than irritates me. (unlike Aks/axe for Ask which is one that does)

True Grit Farms":ykiikaew said:
Bestoutwest":ykiikaew said:
Lucky_P":ykiikaew said:
I grew up in UCLA(upper corner of lower Alabama). I can talk as 'country' as anyone here (just ask Bigfoot); but I'm going to write - unless I'm making a point or being funny - in a grammatically proper manner. Just because I have a Southern drawl, it doesn't mean that I'm ignorant.

It's funny, but my wife and I were talking about the same thing the other day. I come from an extremely academic family and she comes from a more blue-collar family. I have a really hard time looking past those types of things when I'm going to buy something, but she doesn't seem to care at all-as long as the message is clearly stated that is. If I'm spending a decent amount of money, I expect a certain class from the person/business. Example: I'm not spending $25 for an expensive dinner at a mom and pop greasy spoon where they use plastic baskets and plastic forks. I once went to a seafood place in Maine that did that. Apparently (I don't do seafood so I had a burger), it was wonderful, but it came out in those plastic baskets and I felt ripped off. I don't care how great it's supposed to be, I just can't do it. However, I'm working to overcome that, but sometimes old habits are hard to kill. Sometimes it's the packaging that kills the product, no matter how good it is.

Your (You're) just to (too) high class, the best meals are served on Butcher paper.
I couldn't help myself :)

Son of Butch":uc6utkne said:
True Grit Farms":uc6utkne said:
Bestoutwest":uc6utkne said:

Your (You're) just to (too) high class, the best meals are served on Butcher paper.

TennesseeTuxedo tried to be the grammar Sheriff around here once, but he either quit or got fired. I should work on my proper grammar but that would take work, this is fun time.

True Grit Farms":7xfvbu3u said:
Son of Butch":7xfvbu3u said:
True Grit Farms":7xfvbu3u said:

TennesseeTuxedo tried to be the grammar Sheriff around here once, but he either quit or got fired. I should work on my proper grammar but that would take work, this is fun time.

I thought perhaps you had done it on purpose to make your point and to test me. :)

True Grit Farms":41ngwuh3 said:
Your just to high class, the best meals are served on Butcher paper.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, let's back the train up here. I'm sorry that my comments came across to imply that I'm above a greasy spoon. I love greasy spoons, mom and pops, choke and pukes, whatever you want to call them. However, I just prefer they be appropriately priced. In fact, I've only had one meal, in my life, that cost more than $100 and that was on my honeymoon.

Like the great Sawyer Brown crooned "I ain't first class, but I ain't white trash."

Start with a bit of "dolling him up" as mentioned. You can do it with a scissors if you need to. Shorten his tail switch to about half way up the back of the cannon. A long tail looks unkempt and adds age to cattle, good in horses, bad in cattle. Trim the hair on his navel. As well as looking unkempt, it causes a risk of hair rings, so should be kept short regardless if you are keeping or selling him. Trim up any long hairs on his top line, crest and poll as well. I slick all of mine every spring from the shoulder forward, but that may not be doable for you.

Next, get better pictures. Profile from both sides is a good start. You should be lower than the animal, at about their rear flank. Ideally, both front legs should drop straight down from the shoulder, and one back should be straight as well. The other back should be off set, and pulled forward just a bit (doesn't matter which unless its a show animal). Try to have the animal looking straight ahead, with head up and ears forward. It sounds picky, but the pose outlined is designed to show the animal to optimal potential. Also, pick a day to take photos that is just slightly overcast. Too much sun causes shadows and makes a black bull a large shadow with little definition. I don't know that I would use pictures of this bull from the back and front since it is not his strong suit. Not to be mean, but you have to work with what you are given.

True Grit Farms":1717uz43 said:
TCRanch":1717uz43 said:
There is very little data on his EPD's other than calving ease. Docility is a big factor for me. Personally, I don't like his feet in the first pic. That said, we paid considerably more than your asking price for two 18 month old registered Angus a few months ago BUT from a reputable breeder than had been in business 40 years (so in essence part of what we paid for was the name).

One ET bull from here sold at the Gardiner Angus sale sold for 3 times the money as the bulls ET brothers at the Calhoun bull test. There's no doubt that the name is worth more than the animal.
True! But I have high expectations for these boys & hope they're worth every penny, already anxious for calving next year :D

FlyingLSimmentals":3tfm6ui3 said:
Been to some Bull Sales here in 2017 the bull either sell HIGH or CHEAP and not much in between. Just bought a Register 19 month 3/4 SimAngus for $2000. Only bought him because I thought he was a really good deal and I liked the pedigree. Didn't really need any extra bull power. Figured he would have went for $1,700 if I hadn't joined in to bid. Here's a pic I snapped of him.

Some years it's just ridiculous what they all sell for other years it's how in the world can they not do better than that. Unfortunately it's the latter this time. Best of Luck to you with Him.
That's a nice looking bull, especially for that price! Hope he works out for you.

If they aren't coming out to look then the price is too high. Try saying obo and see what gets offered. That will tell you the market real quick. Fewer pics the better. As other have said, most of those pics are not very flattering.

I personally wouldn't pay that amount for that bull. For a few bucks more you could get twice the bull. I don't think the used bull market cares about his "papers" either.

Boot Jack Bulls":oyp40mv3 said:
Start with a bit of "dolling him up" as mentioned. You can do it with a scissors if you need to. Shorten his tail switch to about half way up the back of the cannon. A long tail looks unkempt and adds age to cattle, good in horses, bad in cattle. Trim the hair on his navel. As well as looking unkempt, it causes a risk of hair rings, so should be kept short regardless if you are keeping or selling him. Trim up any long hairs on his top line, crest and poll as well. I slick all of mine every spring from the shoulder forward, but that may not be doable for you.

Next, get better pictures. Profile from both sides is a good start. You should be lower than the animal, at about their rear flank. Ideally, both front legs should drop straight down from the shoulder, and one back should be straight as well. The other back should be off set, and pulled forward just a bit (doesn't matter which unless its a show animal). Try to have the animal looking straight ahead, with head up and ears forward. It sounds picky, but the pose outlined is designed to show the animal to optimal potential. Also, pick a day to take photos that is just slightly overcast. Too much sun causes shadows and makes a black bull a large shadow with little definition. I don't know that I would use pictures of this bull from the back and front since it is not his strong suit. Not to be mean, but you have to work with what you are given.

Cut the switch is a new one to me. For the past few weeks I have been looking at bulls. If I see a short switch it's an automatic no sale. Looking at the switch on a Brahman bull is the cheapest way to check his fertility. Short switch = low fertility.

JWBrahman":3fgrxd49 said:
Boot Jack Bulls":3fgrxd49 said:

Cut the switch is a new one to me. For the past few weeks I have been looking at bulls. If I see a short switch it's an automatic no sale. Looking at the switch on a Brahman bull is the cheapest way to check his fertility. Short switch = low fertility.
JW I agree when I see it I just walk away. I have a bull I raised that has a natural short switch and that is the main fault I have against him. I believe it shows impurity, doesn't look good and also they can't use it to fight flies and skeeters. I also don't like the front clipping job that some feel compelled to do. I'm going to use the bull in a rough pasture not a show ring. If they were going to be used for show purposes then I could see the trimming up. I kept wanting to look at some bulls a few years ago. The breeder kept putting me off. Then he called and said he had them all clipped up and they were ready for me to look at. I said I want a pasture bull so no need for me driving over there to look at a show bull.

I enjoy reading all of the posts regarding the bull. I have been provided with a lot of useful knowledge that I have used and I actually think I have a couple people coming to look at him. Thank you all for the information and I will continue reading to learn more.

JW, Elkwc, I don't see how clipping the long hair off the front of a bull you are trying to market can be a bad thing. In our region, bull sales start the end of January. Most of the bulls coming off pasture up here have 2 inches of body hair at that time. It makes it more difficult to evaluate front end structure on one, especially the shoulder, an area that can have major faults. The short switch is a new one for me, but I am unfamiliar with Brahma influenced cattle. Like I said, I clip every single one of my bulls every spring, and have yet to have one customer turn away because they are too well presented. They get a clip job, and one good bath, no paints, dyes or glues. I won't put my geldings on the trailer to move pastures without a good brushing and a fresh bridle path either. Just how I operate.

Call me crazy but I trim the tails on every cow that goes through the chute every time we work them, I just like the way it makes them look as a group. Just one of the things we do cows, calves, bulls they all get trimmed when we work them. I swear I have never heard anyone say tail switch has anything to do with fertility, but then again that is why I like this site to hear new things. Is this a brahman thing?

gizmom

I've heard long switches equate to maternal traits (meaning a bull with a long switch will have maternal daughters).

Essentially, it's thought (by some) to be a sign of hormonal balance.

True Grit Farms":ieod8t3u said:
TCRanch":ieod8t3u said:
There is very little data on his EPD's other than calving ease. Docility is a big factor for me. Personally, I don't like his feet in the first pic. That said, we paid considerably more than your asking price for two 18 month old registered Angus a few months ago BUT from a reputable breeder than had been in business 40 years (so in essence part of what we paid for was the name).

One ET bull from here sold at the Gardiner Angus sale sold for 3 times the money as the bulls ET brothers at the Calhoun bull test. There's no doubt that the name is worth more than the animal.

I've also found that to be true, especially with Angus in this area.

I also think that for the market, you might be above average with that price. :2cents:

This has nothing to do with sellsmanship and everything to do with price. Professional sails gimmicks have no place here. The people that are calling know what the bull is worth. Put 2200.00 in the add and the phone will quit ringing. The bull is worth 93cents. I don't care what kinda sells tactics you use to sale him.

Craig, three of the last four vehicles I bought sight unseen. One I didn't even know the color.. : :cboy:

Latest posts