Price per pound in the southern region

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattlelow

Reaction score
What do you charge your customer per pound for processed beef? Or, do you charge a flat amount. Does anyone sell directly to a specialty meat market? I'm located in north central Louisiana.

What do you charge your customer per pound for processed beef? Or, do you charge a flat amount. Does anyone sell directly to a specialty meat market? I'm located in north central Louisiana.
$3.75/lb hanging weight and I pay processing, haul to processing and deliver meat within a reasonable area. Will probably go up to $3.85/lb this spring due to feed costs and live cattle costs going up.

We charge a flat rate. Most of my customers don't understand live weight vs hanging weight Vs take home weight.

Whole $3300
Half $1650
1/4 $900

I get a $200 per quarter non refundable deposit.

I pay for processing.
I deliver to processor almost 2 hours away.
I pick up beef and meat in central location for pickup for no extra charge.

$3.75/lb hanging weight and I pay processing, haul to processing and deliver meat within a reasonable area. Will probably go up to $3.85/lb this spring due to feed costs and live cattle costs going up.
That's a 2.6% price increase, I think you're losing ground as compared to your input costs. Feeder cattle and grain are both up more than that.

We charge a flat rate. Most of my customers don't understand live weight vs hanging weight Vs take home weight.

Whole $3300
Half $1650
1/4 $900

I get a $200 per quarter non refundable deposit.

I pay for processing.
I deliver to processor almost 2 hours away.
I pick up beef and meat in central location for pickup for no extra charge.
Do you charge more for a hindquarter than a forequarter?

Ken

I use 2 different ones, one is .75/ lb hw ( can't remember kill fee off hand) and the other is .55/lb hw $40 kill fee. I try to get in the cheaper one.
Thanks again for the information. With feed going up, do you see a larger increase in the price you charge in the near future? I know you mentioned $3.85.
That's a 2.6% price increase, I think you're losing ground as compared to your input costs. Feeder cattle and grain are both up more than that.
J+ Cattle, I'm interested in what price you would charge as well. Between the drought we are having and the feed bill, I'm considering $4 per lb. I appreciate the feed back.

I'm getting $5/lb HW, I pay processing and deliver nearby, and adjust to price around $7.50/lb for cuts if yield isn't what is expected. My processing costs are quite a bit higher-custom is $75 kill .85/lb cut/vacuum pack, USDA is $75 kill/.95 cut and wrap. I regularly sell out quickly. (Central Texas)

Thanks again for the information. With feed going up, do you see a larger increase in the price you charge in the near future? I know you mentioned $3.85.

J+ Cattle, I'm interested in what price you would charge as well. Between the drought we are having and the feed bill, I'm considering $4 per lb. I appreciate the feed back.

There are some in my area that have been charging $4/lb hw, I will slowly work up to that price. Many of my customers are repeat customers so I hate to go up too much at one time. I've put the pencil to it and unless something drastic changes I'll do good at $3.85/lb hw for the set that will go out this spring. After that I'll just have to evaluate prices again.

Latest posts