price of feed

Help Support CattleToday:

I think alot of acreage was devoted to corn, thats why everything else is in short supply. Even milk is going up, $5 at WalMart.

CowpokeJ":9bxf2p3x said:
I think alot of acreage was devoted to corn, thats why everything else is in short supply. Even milk is going up, $5 at WalMart.

Wow, I hope that's just a short spike in the price in your area and not headed this way. Around here a gallon of milk at the grocery is still close to $4.

Cuz

pbnewbie":2mom6oai said:
So, if the price of feed is going to double, HOW are ranchers going to be able to stay in business?

A lot of ranchers don't feed grain. The general exception to this is weaning calves and, even then, it is for a set amount of time over the winter, and is only a pound or two per calf.

CowpokeJ":22kuinz6 said:
Even milk is going up, $5 at WalMart.

I might be wrong on this, but I believe that if you do a little research the price of milk has gone up because the price the government has guaranteed the dairy farmers has increased. I don't remember all the details, but it has something to do with a price floor established by the government.

msscamp":2w5v76w6 said:
CowpokeJ":2w5v76w6 said:

I might be wrong on this, but I believe that if you do a little research the price of milk has gone up because the price the government has guaranteed the dairy farmers has increased. I don't remember all the details, but it has something to do with a price floor established by the government.

I's the foreign demand for milk and milk by products that has goosed the milk price. We can;t keep up with the export demand. But dairymen are finally making a decent return on they're investment. Been a long time since they could really see a real profit. Until the last couple of months it's been pretty rough dairying for the past several years.

dun":3pv555vz said:
msscamp":3pv555vz said:
CowpokeJ":3pv555vz said:

I's the foreign demand for milk and milk by products that has goosed the milk price. We can;t keep up with the export demand. But dairymen are finally making a decent return on they're investment. Been a long time since they could really see a real profit. Until the last couple of months it's been pretty rough dairying for the past several years.

Thank you for the information, and the correction. I guess I misunderstood the article, and I'm sorry about that. :oops: I know it's been a very long time.

Here's my take on things...

Corn ethanol is an excellent solution, just not to the problem we thought everybody was trying to solve. The problem corn ethanol solves is the corn subsidy problem. So long as corn ethanol continues to solve the corn subsidy problem, it will be touted as the solution to our national energy crisis -- even though it's clearly not. It's such a woefully inefficient product that it's barely even a step in the right direction, IMO..

The extra money we're paying now for everything which previously benefitted from cheap corn (which was pretty much EVERYTHING, btw) is really just an open-market substitute for tax dollars and money the federal government used to have to borrow to keep corn growers operating. As I see it, making fuel has little to do with the push for ethanol.

In other words, we're being had. Surprise! :roll:

So far as how cattle producers are going to stay in business, many probably won't. Small timers would naturally go first, since they can't take advantage of any kind of economy of scale. Whenever it's whittled down to the big producers, it's gonna come down to them versus imported beef and/or live cattle. If the average consumer doesn't care (or know) where their beef is coming from, or if the cost of producing American beef simply outstrips what the average consumer is willing to pay for it, the American producer is pretty much hosed.

And when I say imported, I'm not just talking Canada -- I'm talking Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, etc.. Places where people live on $2/day.

What are the chances we're going to be able to compete with them?

Slim to none, IMO, and Slim's packing his bags for Argentina as we speak.

Welcome to the global economy.

Corn ethanol is an excellent solution, just not to the problem we thought everybody was trying to solve. The problem corn ethanol solves is the corn subsidy problem.

I beg to differ. ADM and Cargill (the biggest grain brokers and ethanol makers) are getting $0.52 per gallon subsidy for making ethanol, plus they still get to sell it!

My guess is that the amount of TOTAL subsidies will increase!

pbnewbie":2bkim8bc said:
I had intended to grass feed all along, but I just started wondering, given the market conditions, if there was even going to be a market available.

Unless PETA gains ascendancy in this country, there will always be BEEF in the meat case and in the restaurants no matter what the price of corn. NOW, will that beef be USDA Choice (as we define it today) or will that be some other degree of finish, grass fattened, baby beef, etc? THAT I can't predict.

Wow. It seems like the market just got turned upside down. No wonder Bush is retiring in Argentina or wherever...he's seen this coming for a long time.

The guys in my area are not going crazy over changing land to corn. They think great today but they are worried if they change over everything what happens if no one is there to pay that big price to make up for the price changing over in 2 years. They worry that as with everything it will go to some other country.

My view is with the subsidy we are getting screwed big time. We grew up here in WNY and after being gone for 30 years and thinking about moving back we came up for three weeks last year. I did a lot of comparision grocery prices here vs NC and the dairy prices were way cheaper here and meat as well. Now taking the same list of groceries we priced last year it cost us about $75 a month more than last year. This sucks since we are on fixed income and when they adjust the amount you get for social security each year the price increase for food and gas are not included. Like I asked my senator "who did he know that didn't eat or drive"
They just had a big dairy thing here about 2 months ago where some kind of price subsidy went up and all dairy, milk, cheese, and anything from the milkers went up like 50% over night.These dairy guys must be manic since they don't even know what price they are getting until the next month.Sell in June fine out what you get paid in July. Don't know if that happens other places than NY. Milk went from 1.99 to 4.29, ice cream went from 2.79 to 5.99. As best as I can find it is all connected to the ethonol/corn thing.

Why is there a corn subsity of like 45 cents when they are already are getting a bloodly fortune for the product as is.
I think most people would be suprised how many things have corn in them. All I know is the price of everything going up due to the corn thing hurts me worse than the gas price but I don't drive as much as the average person either but when you get a double hit from the price of gas and food at the same time we find our budget is worthless since every week things seem to go up. Heck our grocery store has signs all over explaining the price increases are due to the corn thng and they are not making a penny more than before and even holding the price on somethings which hurts their margins.

How long can people continue living with the cost of everything going up which includes feed for the cqttle when wages are stagnent and cost of beef is not going up near the same as your groceries or gas.

Heck I spent 19 bucks to fill my 2 lawn mowers and trimmer. Guy next door even stopped running the spreader every week to now every two weeks because of gas prices. The man we bought our hay from delivered them from 2 fields within sight and he told me he lost money from the fuel he used, he gave us a great price on the hay but he said he had no idea how much would cost in fuel cost running bales to us from the fields across the sreet and the other across the pasture. He said he had just hoped to make a few bucks but ended up losing money and we feel like crap since he gave is such a great price on the hay.
You got to eat and you got to drive but you also get the right to *itch about it. I am just happy have no babies since you get killed with the price of milk and cereal.

dun":3bhuzz94 said:
msscamp":3bhuzz94 said:
CowpokeJ":3bhuzz94 said:

So many things going up in price nowadays can be linked to the growing demand over seas. We have outsourced so many jobs to China and India, etc.... that now they have money to spend and in turn push up prices of our every day items like Milk, Gasoline, Metal, Lumber etc.....

Milk is really a supply and demand thing, almost more than other crops because liquid milk has a relatively short shelf life. For the last several years milk has been real low. This caused dairies to shut down, margin cows get sent to slaughter, and other factors like hot weather caused supply to drop. Supply finally went past demand. This has cause farm gate milk prices to shoot up. Of course the stores raise the price when this happens. But watch when milk prices crash again the price in the store will stay the same.

I know one thing when I lived hetre 36 years ago the dairy cows were somsomij geight. Thid year at the fait them cpws were so big a full size man could barely reach halter to show them. They must have gotten 10 what barry bonds got.

I read in the Des Moines paper the other day that if all tillable land in the WORLD were put into corn production and that corn was only used to make ethanol, the global consumption of oil would only drop by 10%! How's that for an eye opener. I don't think the price of corn or corn related products is going to drop in the foreseeable future. When it comes to milk, my in laws have a small dairy operation and it's nice that they are getting a good return finally. It always seems to me that people will complain when they pay too much, i.e. corn, milk, but when it is them who are getting the premiums, i.e. cattle, they are happy as a lark. Human nature, go figure. ;-)

Latest posts