Previous lessee won't remove his cows

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't know about Florida, but those cattle would be considered stays here in Texas. Have the landowner call the sheriff have the cattle removed as stray animals.

Kathie in Thorp":3afexkus said:
hooknline":3afexkus said:
There's 12 there now including a calf that we saw born today.
He has a piece that he's leasing across the street but as sue happy as this guy is I don't even want to push them with out a court order. I'll call animal control Monday and see if they can enforce the statute. And the land owner is going to put his lawyers on it Monday also.
The land will carry 15 pairs with very minimal input year round. But I won't do squat until this guy is out of the picture.
Animal control people will not EVEN attempt to enforce your lease rights! They will only get involved if there is abuse/neglect. They are not in the real estate or contract enforcement business. This is on your land owner.

true

Anything in the contract about grass to be left? It's the previous lessee's responsibility to make good on that if so, and he grazes too much - but then you have to chase him to do it and that might not be worth it.

I moved here with most of the pasture grazed, farm owner lied to me and said the contract had been adhered to. Now more trouble...
I've been advised before that none of this is going to stop till I get my own place and don't have to deal with these idiots. Farm owner didn't tell the previous lessee my cows were arriving.

Good luck with this but everything between farm owner and previous lessee is farm owner's responsibilty to deal with. Watch carefully what he does - I've twice now followed situations where the farm owner/lessee hate each other and you can be quite sure it wasn't the lessee's fault in either case.

Well I can be sure the lessee is the problem. He charges the landowners to run cows on their land so they get the ag exemption. He's running quite a racket and like i said before he doesn't have a good rep to begin with. Add in the fact he won't move em, won't respond, my mind is made up as far as who i stand with.

I bought 116 acres across the road from me year before last. The day before we closed the seller called and said the people leasing it told him they were going to refuse to move their livestock, their lease had expired several months before and they were paying by the month. He also informed me that they were planning to leave their deer stands and hunt the place like they always had. Well, about 2 hours later a truck pulls in my drive and a fat slob exits the vehicle. He walks up and matter of factly informs me that they had livestock on the property I was purchasing and that they had hunted the place for years, "just so you know we'll be there" he says with a wink. I smiled at him and replied, "Well, seein' as how I can't do anything about it I guess you can do what you want. Till 1:pM tomorrow when I close. At that time that place belongs to me. As soon as I get here chains and locks will be placed on the gates and anything inside belongs to me. With the exception of livestock, which will be loaded at 5:pM tomorrow afternoon and hauled to the salebarn for someone to claim the check on. No one will hunt that place but me, anyone I find on it carrying a firearm is subject to a law in Oklahoma we have called "Make My Day". Now get off my property". "So you're going to be like that huh?" Says he. "Yep" says I. He stomps off and drives away. At 7:AM the next morning trucks pulled in and loaded all cattle and horses, all deer stands and blinds with the exception of one they missed, which I figured was just forgotten in haste so I loaded it upand set it on their fron porch.
Same idiot pulls in the drive three months later with his whole family loaded up. With out getting out he says "We was just wanting to take the kids fishing down there". My reply, "No, and there is a huge nail in your tire I doubt you can make it home.". "Shyt!" he says. And speeds off down the road. I ain't seen him again.

I know it's no help Hook, I just felt like telling a story. :lol:

Hook, would the land owner be interested in paying someone to remove the cattle from his land? And what county are the cows in?
Thanks

Isomade":1c2gdq2k said:
I bought 116 acres across the road from me year before last. The day before we closed the seller called and said the people leasing it told him they were going to refuse to move their livestock, their lease had expired several months before and they were paying by the month. He also informed me that they were planning to leave their deer stands and hunt the place like they always had. Well, about 2 hours later a truck pulls in my drive and a fat slob exits the vehicle. He walks up and matter of factly informs me that they had livestock on the property I was purchasing and that they had hunted the place for years, "just so you know we'll be there" he says with a wink. I smiled at him and replied, "Well, seein' as how I can't do anything about it I guess you can do what you want. Till 1:pM tomorrow when I close. At that time that place belongs to me. As soon as I get here chains and locks will be placed on the gates and anything inside belongs to me. With the exception of livestock, which will be loaded at 5:pM tomorrow afternoon and hauled to the salebarn for someone to claim the check on. No one will hunt that place but me, anyone I find on it carrying a firearm is subject to a law in Oklahoma we have called "Make My Day". Now get off my property". "So you're going to be like that huh?" Says he. "Yep" says I. He stomps off and drives away. At 7:AM the next morning trucks pulled in and loaded all cattle and horses, all deer stands and blinds with the exception of one they missed, which I figured was just forgotten in haste so I loaded it upand set it on their fron porch.
Same idiot pulls in the drive three months later with his whole family loaded up. With out getting out he says "We was just wanting to take the kids fishing down there". My reply, "No, and there is a huge nail in your tire I doubt you can make it home.". "Shyt!" he says. And speeds off down the road. I ain't seen him again.

I know it's no help Hook, I just felt like telling a story. :lol:

Good story!

The landowner wants to do things the most legal way possible because of potential legal ramifications and liability.
Iso, that's a gripping story. Not being the landowner and rather shallow pockets my hands are tied beyond what I've already done or can do Monday.

Sounds to me like your deal is over. The landowner is going to keep the one that is there. He is just sweating you out and hopes you will go away. Look for something somewhere else or buy you a place.

hooknline":3u1a4cdw said:
The landowner wants to do things the most legal way possible because of potential legal ramifications and liability.
Iso, that's a gripping story. Not being the landowner and rather shallow pockets my hands are tied beyond what I've already done or can do Monday.
You can demand performance by the landowner, via his lease agreement with you. Other guy out; you in. If he won't do it, you either eat it, or fight it, depending on the prevailing politics/good sense.

I know what county. I can find out where he lives easy enough I think. I'm telling you right now, offering to buy the cattle will go no where.
He's going to lose several k/ yr just in income That he's charging the landowners. not counting cattle profits he will lose by me snatching these 2 properties from him. That's not even counting what he's going to lose once I get the bigger parcels. Which I will.

you think this guy cares about what kind of calves those cows will have next year? make up something about having a holstein or mini zebu bull that you will be turning out there under your new lease agreement. send him a letter notifying him of this and see if he responds. certainly not legal advice, but if he cares he'll move 'em.

And all this time, I've not known anything good about Florida ;-) So, land owners in FL actually pay cattlemen to graze the land?? How much is the ag exemption worth?

You save more than 50% in property taxes, and your property Insurance is cheaper also with an ag exemption.

Ouachita":dei9a1sx said:
And all this time, I've not known anything good about Florida ;-) So, land owners in FL actually pay cattlemen to graze the land?? How much is the ag exemption worth?
On commercial zoned land it's worth many thousands per acre.

Brihop, he doesn't care one iota about his cows. There are several carcasses on the property of cattle that have died and never even got buried or noticed. The cows are always getting out from what the sheriff told me. Thy even got The main highway that runs thru Orlando. I-4.