Feeding cows when you don't have enough hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter S

Reaction score
Another discussion made me think of this, so I thought I'd start a new discussion instead of derailing that one. Here in southeast Texas we had the worst drought in my lifetime in 2011. I made 8 rolls of hay that summer, and I calculated that between the baling cost and fertilizer they cost me $300.00 each. Fortunately I had quite a bit of hay left from the year before, but not nearly enough to make it through the winter. I talked to a man who was shipping in rice straw hay from Louisiana for $100.00 per roll, and the quality was so poor that the cows got all of it they wanted and were still losing weight. I didn't want to do that.

Here's what I did. I bought some troughs, and found a feed mill about 30 miles from my house that mixed and sold a 12% protein feed that was reasonably priced. That whole winter I fed half the amount of hay I would in normal years, along with 10 pounds per adult animal of the mixed feed on alternate days. The cows came through the winter just fine.

It's looking like this year will be similar, though most people at least got a first cutting, which wasn't the case back then. However, I'm 11 years older now than I was then. This year I will sell cows so that I have enough hay. Or maybe sell all of the cows and the hay, and start over next spring.

Ddgs (3lbs/day) is what I fed last winter to stretch my hay and straw supply, amazing stuff cost /lb protein about beats anything and good energy.

I can't tell you how many people are hitting me up for hay right now. I try to point them to ground feed or cottonseed, and rationing their hay, just like you said. They flat out don't want to hear it. They are going to pay way too much for trash hay at some point because that is all they know how to do.

I've come so close to selling what we have in hay at some crazy price and using it to buy feed this winter. I just don't think I could sleep at night.

One guy told me wcs had gone up too much so he is buying cubes. 🤐

I can't tell you how many people are hitting me up for hay right now. I try to point them to ground feed or cottonseed, and rationing their hay, just like you said. They flat out don't want to hear it. They are going to pay way too much for trash hay at some point because that is all they know how to do.

I've come so close to selling what we have in hay at some crazy price and using it to buy feed this winter. I just don't think I could sleep at night.

One guy told me wcs had gone up too much so he is buying cubes. 🤐

My hay guy told me about one man in particular who called him looking for hay. Mike told him he didn't have any. The guy kept offering him more money. Mike still didn't have any hay. More money doesn't magically make the hay appear, or make the grass grow.

2011 we took switch grass hay, which we were very lucky to get and since it was too switchy for the cows to eat, we chopped it up with this. 1660318531113.png
Then into this with grain and chicken litter.. Yeah, i know some of yas dont like that, but we did what we had to to keep our ranch going. And the cows loved it.

1660318562158.png
So yummy, and you said this is what???? lol

1660318653232.png
We were still doing this in Oct....

We bought the hammermill in Ft Worth for 1000 and it had its original tires on it from 1980, it had been parked in a barn unused since the 80s. Had to drive 30mph and less on 121 through the Dallas area and we're lucky to have lived through that... it was terrifying and i couldnt count how many fingers we got....lol Just sold the tub grinder for what we paid for it in 2011. We've vowed to NEVER be unprepared ever again where we have to use something like this. We still have the Gobstopper, thats what i call it. Its funny and sitting safe in a barn, he can stay a little longer.

I looked at pellets one time also. They had a good price on them. Not sure why they were cheaper than other feeds.

I was debating buying those timed bulk feeders with thw siren. I was running numbers on taking cows through the winter and you could lock in your rates with that feeder and buy in bulk. The place would even deliver to the feeder. It was not a bad deal at all.

That feed I was buying in 2011 contained alfalfa hay, corn, and cotton seed. There were probably other ingredients, but those are the ones I'm aware of.

That's a losing battle. If they would not overgraze they could make way more money off the wildlife. Those guys will eat a pasture to dirt and still lose money on cows when they could have made $20+ an acre on wildlife. With the right deer it can go up in to $5-10K per spot on deer alone.

Remember, you can buy all the feed you want, but, if your ponds arent holding up you're done. I've heard people now saying their ponds are done and they spent all summer buying hay. I guess they can sell now, but they paid a high price already for it. After 2011, we made sure the next drought we were good on ponds first.