Preserving Birdhouse Gourds

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
How do I preserve my birdhouse gourds? I grew some year before last and they got moldy. Is that normal? I have some more this year and I don't want them to go bad. What can I do?

This is a little late, I've been busy. Gourds are 95% water and will moldy when they dry out. That is just part of the process. Just put them somewhere outside your house, like a shed or something and leave them for at least 6 months to dry, some take a year here in Iowa. Then go through them and check them over for cracks etc. To clean them I like to set them out in the rain and soak all the crud off. A power washer will then slough off all the yuckiness. I don't sand them b/c that leaves marks on them. Hope this helps.

....how do you seal them and with what after they get done with the mold and drying process? thanks, John

combine":ipkvlzk6 said:
....how do you seal them and with what after they get done with the mold and drying process? thanks, John

You don't have to seal them, mine have lasted several years through our winters etc. But if you want to, just do the outside with polyurethane, painted on or spray can.

I let mine dry clean the inside and out side and dip in polyurethane. I have 100's that are 5+ years old and look as good as the day I hung them up.

I like to clean with a small power washer. I think sanding makes them look bad after the polly. Tossing them in a tub of water for a few hours will help loosen the stuff up.

THANKS for the info....how large of a hole do you make and at what area of the gourd...how high from bottom...for purple martins I assume? John

I grew gourd for my mother (for painting) few years back...She just put them in garage, they molded, then she soaked them in a bleack/water solution...let them dry out. You need to cut the holes (or atleast score) before they dry hard, I think that helps in the drying. She made the holes about 1", 3-4 " from bottom, but again it was a craft projet.

We did it as something to keep the kids doing something. So we just did it with out to much thought.

[url:2zn47ksy said:
http://purplemartin.org/main/mgt.html[/url]":2zn47ksy]I
Houses and gourds should be painted white, or a light pastel color; trim can be any color. White housing seems to attract martins best. White housing reflects the heat of the sun, keeping nestlings cooler. Compartment floor dimensions should measure at least 6"x6," but 7" x 12" offers better protection against predators and weather, if starlings are controlled. Compartment height can be from 5" to 7" high. Place entrance holes about 1" above the floor. Hole size can range from 1-3/4" up to 2-1/4", but 2-1/8" is recommended. Many published plans for martin housing (and some manufactured houses) are made to improper dimensions. If your housing is unsuccessful, check the dimensions and modify where needed.

Latest posts