gourds

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
Do gourd seeds need to be soaked before planting? We only wanted a couple of plants to get some of the different shaped grurds. But we've planted most of the packet and only have one plant. :oops: Would soaking them overnight help? Thanks for any help.

We planted birdhouse gourds and we didn't soak them. Seems like it takes a while for them to all come up. Might you have some old seeds? Our's came up in about 7 - 10 days.

I'm wondering about the seeds. I bought the packet from a local greenhouse. It had their name on the package, not a big seed company. I'm wondering now if they might have packaged their own? Do they have to tell you if they do? Lammie, where did you get seeds? We're only wanting a few dipper gourds. If we don't get any from our one plant, I'll look for different seeds next spring.

msscamp":2gutx4rr said:
Frankie, not according to this link unless you were planting luffa's. It does recommend starting them in peat pots, though, because they can rot if planted in cold, wet soil. Here is the link, and I hope it helps! Best of luck with your gourds.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1630.html

Thanks for the link. Our soil is just now starting to warm up good. We've had some cooler than normal nights late this spring, but also some 99 degree days already. The bermuda grass is out, just not doing much growing yet.

I got the seeds from the local coop, but they came from somewhere else. Just in the package.

planted a bunch of gourds - just for fun bought several different gourds, pumpkins and watermelons - planted them in the little jiffy peat circles that swell when you wet them - then planted peat thing, plant and all in a 6 inch pot after the plants were probably 4 or 5 inches tall -
just today finally was able to get them in the garden - had huge plants with wonderful root systems - the plants don't seem to even know they were moved
bought our seed from gurney's and wal-mart
I think that every seed germinated in the peat and every plant that I put in the pots has survived as well.

a few gourds were left at one of our rent houses, so i took em home and took the seeds out, put them in a butter bowl, after several weeks, and when i remembered that i had them, took them out set them on the deck and was gettin ready to get em in the ground, got sidetracked, and forgot about them again, a storm came and blew the bowl over, realized what had happened, so i moved some of the them to a sunnier spot and they are now climbing a piece of cattle panel and have white blooms on them..now if i had actually planted them with tender lovin care, they would have died right away. i can grow a good vegetable garden, but have to get lucky with the pretty flowers and stuff.

stolen from this link
http://www.turtlefeathers.com/pdf/growing/planting.pdf

Planting Gourd Seed Directly in the Ground
Soak hard shell seeds in water for 24 hours before planting. Dump them in a bowl or just submerge the packet that they came in. This will prime the seeds for a quicker
germination. The length of time is not critical. A few more hours of soaking won't hurt the hard shell varieties. The ornamental varieties should be soaked for less time,
perhaps 12-15 hours. This prolonged and thorough soaking makes a substantial difference in germination time, whether starting inside or in the ground.
Plant the seed approximately 1/2 inch deep and try to keep the immediate area moist (not wet) at all times until germination occurs. Temperature and moisture are the two most important factors affecting the germination of gourd seed. Warmer temperatures result in quicker germination times, as well as higher levels of germination.

Latest posts