Presentation-Vet recommendations

Help Support CattleToday:

Surprised to see the almost equal numbers regarding deworming protocol. I would have thought vets more favorable by a larger margin toward injectables deworming.

Type of de-worming product most highly recommended for the female herd:
Injectable 56%
Pour on 50%

Chemical de-worming creates strong worms and weak cows. Problem gets worse and more expensive over time. Genetics-genetics-genetics!

One thing that caught my attention was the years in large animal. I wonder why it falls so low at around 20 but there is several at 5 and over 30 years? The old vets like what they do I guess. The young vets are helping the old vets or have found work in feedlots, etc.?

City Guy":16qedcr5 said:
Chemical de-worming creates strong worms and weak cows. Problem gets worse and more expensive over time. Genetics-genetics-genetics!
More great advice based on your vast knowledge and experience.

dun":325guj7z said:
City Guy":325guj7z said:
More great advice based on your vast knowledge and experience.

Where is that dadgum thumbs up button

It works on his imaginary herd , so it must work in real life.

ClinchValley":2l1y133m said:
City Guy":2l1y133m said:

Are you saying to not deworm?

Yes. here is what many successful producers do.
Don't de-worm as a matter of protocol
When an animal shows signs of infestation, isolate it and treat until the worms are gone, then sell cow and calf.
Select replacement heifers from cows that don't get heavy infestations
Select bulls from parents that have high tolerance for parasites.
This is difficult and will take some serious investigation. Expect to be lied to.

City Guy":nss82xs0 said:
ClinchValley":nss82xs0 said:
City Guy":nss82xs0 said:

When an animal shows signs of infestation, isolate it and treat until the worms are gone, then sell cow and calf.
This is difficult and will take some serious investigation. Expect to be lied to.

CG- While I agree some cows seem to fair better than others with parasites your ignorance is hanging out again and you should put it away , every part of this country is different and while some may profess this others successful ones do not. Your advise is unsubstantiated because your just regurgitating something you read. 99.9% of the people here give advise based on experience right or wrong they have skin in the game. no one is saying you cant comment but no one takes what you say serious because you honestly do not know ....

M-5":29elcdv4 said:
City Guy":29elcdv4 said:
ClinchValley":29elcdv4 said:

CG- While I agree some cows seem to fair better than others with parasites your ignorance is hanging out again and you should put it away , every part of this country is different and while some may profess this others successful ones do not. Your advise is unsubstantiated because your just regurgitating something you read. 99.9% of the people here give advise based on experience right or wrong they have skin in the game. no one is saying you cant comment but no one takes what you say serious because you honestly do not know ....

Have you tried it my way? If not then you have no experience either. If you have then why not share with the rest of us?

M-5":zru0lqdi said:
City Guy":zru0lqdi said:
ClinchValley":zru0lqdi said:

Have you tried it my way? If not you have no experience either. If you have, why not share your knowledge with the rest of us?

City Guy":shh4bdu7 said:
M-5":shh4bdu7 said:
City Guy":shh4bdu7 said:

Have you tried it my way? If not then you have no experience either. If you have then why not share with the rest of us?

your way would require me to sell my cows , tractors, truck , land and move to the city to become an expert ... No thank you.

I'm not culling a cow because it's more susceptible to worms. Growing a heifer calf to a cow cost money. Between culling and calving problems as a heifer, and then she's required to produce a good calf while breeding back on time, I'll spend the money on wormer if she makes it through all those obstacles.

M-5":5hbjs49w said:
City Guy":5hbjs49w said:
M-5":5hbjs49w said:

your way would require me to sell my cows , tractors, truck , land and move to the city to become an expert ... No thank you.

A ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR THAT ONE!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

City Guy":61b5y0s8 said:
M-5":61b5y0s8 said:
City Guy":61b5y0s8 said:

City Guy please let us know your results when you try it your way :lol: :lol:

City Guy":363yp2kw said:
Genetics-genetics-genetics!
All you old timers should listen to City Guy there is a lot of cows out there that will not get worms or any parasites they are cheaper to buy and ours never even get sick. I still have a few that belong to my son, they are close to 20 years old and still just as good today as they were 20 years ago. here is a picture of a pair that I might would sell if the price is right also have some horses and a mule that never get sick or needs wormed might even sell them also. open to offers - no low balling.

BRYANT":wwx5u52r said:
City Guy":wwx5u52r said:
Genetics-genetics-genetics!
All you old timers should listen to City Guy there is a lot of cows out there that will not get worms or any parasites they are cheaper to buy and ours never even get sick. I still have a few that belong to my son, they are close to 20 years old and still just as good today as they were 20 years ago. here is a picture of a pair that I might would sell if the price is right also have some horses and a mule that never get sick or needs wormed might even sell them also. open to offers - no low balling.
:lol: :lol: :lol: perfect!

Latest posts