Premise ID

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefordcross":1h271bml said:
We got a number, now the question is, what in the world do we do with it?!

The only thing we've needed ours for so far is the states QSA program

dun

We use our number on our advertizing...adds creditability with the yuppies, they seen to like anything that has a ID number.
One question did come up...if you lease pasture to another guy, does your farm number need to be used by him?
As a rule the cattle that leave our place are cold, naked and upside-down so the tags will be used on the retrained heifers.
Just my two bits worth....DMc

We registered our farm last year. We were told that if you don't have an ID # by November 1st, we won't buy your beef. Our neighbor dairy farmer was told the same thing about his milk, no ID#, no milk check! I'm not completely against the ID system, just don't like having a gun put to my head to do it! We also had to have the ID # for my kids to show at the county fair this year. I can understand the market class, but what is the purpose of needing it for the breed class? What has most people in an uproar around here is, WI wants to force small farms to register that may raise 1 or 2 animals for their own comsumption and/or pets (It's just not meat animals they want to account for).

i was told back in june about the premise ID number at a 4H meeting, they told us everyone had to have one, my in-laws house our cattle so they helped me fill the paper work out but in order for my daughter to continue showing her cattle at the fair they said she had to have a premise ID no ID no show, also the vet will not fill out paper work (health papers) on animals if you do not have this ID,
all i was told if there is a outbreak you need this premise ID, i have nothing to hide and wanted my daughter to continue in the fair so we did ours

I love it when people believe everything they read on the internet just b/c it goes along with their narrow way of thinking.
Recently at the NAIS ID INFO Symposium the words directly out of the Secretary of Agriculture was that their plans were to keep this Animal ID program voluntary, private, and out of the hands of the government. By keeping it in private industries hands it would be safe from the "freedom of Information act", also he stated by keeping out of gov't hands it would open it to industry to compete for sale of tags and equipment, etc.... which will keep the cost down.

Diehard40":1567d87k said:
I love it when people believe everything they read on the internet just b/c it goes along with their narrow way of thinking.
Recently at the NAIS ID INFO Symposium the words directly out of the Secretary of Agriculture was that their plans were to keep this Animal ID program voluntary, private, and out of the hands of the government. By keeping it in private industries hands it would be safe from the "freedom of Information act", also he stated by keeping out of gov't hands it would open it to industry to compete for sale of tags and equipment, etc.... which will keep the cost down.
No one ever told us it was voluntary here, we were told we had to have it by january, even if we were not showing in the fair my in laws were told they had to get one, anyways if it was voluntary no one in northern indiana was told this and I had to have it anyways because that is the new rule added for showing animals at the fair, i have the ID now, no going back

Many different states have adopted their own systems this was from the federal level. Some individual state have already made premise ID mandatory. I think the comments may have been targetted more so at the individual animal ID. I know Wisconsin and some of the other states in that area are a little more progressive then others.

Legislation proposed to prohibit mandatory animal ID

U.S. Department of Agriculture, National Animal Identification System

Henry Lamb

Canada Free Press

September 18, 2006

Another rebellion is brewing across the hinterland. The U.S. Department of Agriculture has targeted ranchers, farmers, horse owners, homesteaders, organic gardeners, and chicken-owning grandmas for participation in a new National Animal Identification System. The targets are unhappy, and are organizing to see that the USDA cannot force participation in this new high-tech USDA program.

Senator Jim Talent, and Representative Jo Ann Emerson, both from Missouri, have introduced legislation in both chambers that will prohibit the USDA from imposing a "mandatory" animal identification program on livestock owners. The bills will also prohibit the use of federal funds to support any state program that mandates participation in a state program.

The USDA, and the promoters of the NAIS, are furious. The American Farm Bureau Federation, in particular, has been a strong supporter of the program. But many individual Farm Bureau members, and some county and state organizations, oppose a mandatory program, and are supporting the Talent-Emerson bills. There has been more than casual talk about widespread defections from the Farm Bureau because of the national association's support for the program.

The National Cattle and Beef Association is also concerned about losing members because of the association's outspoken support for NAIS. NCBA's response to the introduction of the Talent-Emerson bills was considerably less caustic than was the American Farm Bureau Federation's. NCBA's recent increase in membership fees, and the emergence of the competitive R-CALF organization, was already causing concern about member loyalty for the NCBA leadership. According to a Congressional staffer (who must remain anonymous in order to keep his job), the NCBA folks are softening their position on NAIS.

The grassroots community is ramping up its opposition to the NAIS, and generating support for the Talent-Emerson bills.

Karin Bergener, an Ohio Attorney, who is also a founding member of the Liberty Ark Coalition's steering committee, had this to say about the Talent-Emerson bills: "This is a real step forward, The grassroots community has been working hard to get legislators to pay attention to this intrusive program USDA has been trying to implement."

The Coalition, not yet six months old, has attracted 80 organization members, and more than 1200 individual members in 50 states. Half of the states have volunteer coordinators who have organized "Town Hall" meetings and candidate forums during the summer. An online presentation tells the NAIS story, and other materials supplied by the coalition have helped to fan the rebellion that is spreading across the countryside.

In an effort to quiet the growing opposition, the USDA released a publication last April stressing that the NAIS is "voluntary." But when pressed by reporters, Secretary of the Department of Agriculture, Mike Johanns, said the USDA had the authority to make the program mandatory if there was less than 100% voluntary participation.

Originally, the NAIS consisted of three elements: (1) premises registration by 2007; (2) animal registration by 2008; and (3) reporting any movement of livestock off a registered premises by 2009. Grassroots opposition has disrupted this schedule. Wisconsin and Indiana have already enacted state laws mandating premises registration, and several other states are considering similar legislation. The Talent-Emerson bills would prohibit federal funding for these programs, and the future of state programs is now in question.

Although the NAIS has been under development since at least 2002, the USDA has never asked for input from the organizations that now lead the opposition - that is, until about a month ago. A meeting is now scheduled for later this month. The USDA has invited some members of the grassroots community, again, in hopes of quieting the opposition.

Livestock owners are not about to be quiet. They absolutely do not want a federal program that requires them to register their premises, tag every livestock animal with an electronic device, and then have to report to the government any time the animal is moved off their premises. No one knows what such a program would cost, but livestock owners know it is they who would have to pay the bill.

The Talent-Emerson bills may not be the silver bullet that kills the NAIS, but it does put the opposition to the program at the table. Many opponents of the NAIS would like the new legislation to go much further in spelling out exactly what the USDA may and may not do, to livestock owners. These bills will undoubtedly undergo revision as they collide with other bills that seek to authorize a mandatory animal identification program.

Such is the stuff of the legislative process. The opponents of the NAIS have exercised their civic responsibility by organizing, and convincing at least, some, of their elected representatives to listen to their ideas. Opponents know, however, that this legislation is simply a first step. The real work is yet to come.

canadafreepress.com

I, for one, am glad to see that there's more open opposition to NAIS on this forum. In the not-so-distant past, an all-out assault would be waged against the minority of folks (like me) who spoke out against it.

In any case, I've read a couple of different things lately which state that the USDA has given up on trying to make the system mandatory. If what a lot of the 'authorities' said was true -- that ID'd cattle will bring big money and non-ID'd cattle will be heavily discounted -- then market forces should make voluntary NAIS compliance standard procedure before too long.

"Should" being the operative word...

Personally, I think people are gonna keep on doing what they've been doing for years, and I don't think non-compliance is going to hurt a bit at the sale barn. It might be that compliant producers get a small premium for their big trouble, but it's dang sure not going to drive non-compliant producers out of business. :roll:

NAIS is/was nothing but a big waste of taxpayer dollars.

I think we need a little more thought going into this numbering system. Just consider my number to show how little thought went into this.
In my number, I have the following all in one number.
The letter I and the number 1
The letter O, the number zero, and the letter Q
Yes, it is all in one number and rather confusing when typing, writing or giving by voice over the phone.

alabama":zyq6xv6c said:
I think we need a little more thought going into this numbering system. Just consider my number to show how little thought went into this.
In my number, I have the following all in one number.
The letter I and the number 1
The letter O, the number zero, and the letter Q
Yes, it is all in one number and rather confusing when typing, writing or giving by voice over the phone.

What I don't understand is the FSA has every tract of farm land in the state identified using a number.

Why didn't they just use those numbers?

That would be too easy. BTW I have two numbers one for the home place and one for the rented pasture.

FFAgal":3or8mzr9 said:
We registered our farm last year. We were told that if you don't have an ID # by November 1st, we won't buy your beef. Our neighbor dairy farmer was told the same thing about his milk, no ID#, no milk check! I'm not completely against the ID system, just don't like having a gun put to my head to do it! We also had to have the ID # for my kids to show at the county fair this year. I can understand the market class, but what is the purpose of needing it for the breed class? What has most people in an uproar around here is, WI wants to force small farms to register that may raise 1 or 2 animals for their own comsumption and/or pets (It's just not meat animals they want to account for).

Apparently even tho people are being told it is not federal and is in the hands of the state- the feds are requiring the info...Kind of like Johanns saying it will be "voluntary"- unless they don't have 100% "voluntary participation" then they can mandate it by their authority... :???: Just more government and bureaucratic doubletalk which lessens their credibility daily...

--------------------------------------

Confidentiality concerns prompt state officials to withhold livestock reports

by Ann Bagel on 9/18/2006 for Meatingplace.com

Agricultural officials in Massachusetts are withholding monthly livestock reports to the federal government because of confidentiality concerns, the Springfield Republican reported.

About 11,000 Massachusetts farms, homes and businesses are believed to have livestock, and information about a third of those have been sent to USDA.

USDA wants the voluntary reports to help track animal diseases, but state officials and farmers are worried that the information will be available to the public through the Freedom of Information Act.

"We are waiting for confirmation of whether it is confidential or not," a spokeswoman from the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources told the Republican. "Once we hear that it will be kept confidential, we will continue sending them the information."

The problem I have with this program is if someone wants to vaccinate there calves or ween them 30 days befor the sale or breed them all the same color for a uniform lot more power to them, but I do not like people saying everyone should do this so they can try and get a premium. BSE cases will spring up no matter what they do and the market will react.

Latest posts