premise I.D.

Help Support CattleToday:

jcarkie

Reaction score
do any of you have your number yet? then what do we do buy electronic tags and start tagging? have you check the prices out? what do you think?

I've got my ID. I havn't started tagging yet. I havn't checked into the cost of the tags.

The sale barns aren;t even intrerested in premises IDs. If the buyers were looking for it you can bet the salebarns would be wanting it.
All that being registered has done for us is that we get an update on general topics from the MO dept of ag once a month

dun

Got my ID. One of the sale barns here is in the process of trying to figure out which system to use. Not mandatory until 2009. It might change a dozen times before then.

When we ship calves to the feedlot they will be tagged w/ RFID's and visuals. They have been charging $5 for RFID tagging and keeping a database for the grid we use. There will be no charge if we do it beforehand to get carcass data.

No one knows yet who will be the info recipient.

Scotty":3q7fr8bt said:

I think UNLESS something bad happens like several BSE positives in a 90 day period, a foot and mouth breakout in the U.S. OR any kind of major terrorist attack in the U.S. they will postpone the deadline. I think there will be a lot of political pressure to give producers more time. We could implement it next spring (IF USDA had all their ducks in a row); but this thing has never been a priority. It is going to happen SOMEDAY, but barring the doomsday scenario(which is very possible) I will be shocked if we see this before 2012.

Brandonm2":36kcozzb said:
Scotty":36kcozzb said:

I think UNLESS something bad happens like several BSE positives in a 90 day period, a foot and mouth breakout in the U.S. OR any kind of major terrorist attack in the U.S. they will postpone the deadline. I think there will be a lot of political pressure to give producers more time. We could implement it next spring (IF USDA had all their ducks in a row); but this thing has never been a priority. It is going to happen SOMEDAY, but barring the doomsday scenario(which is very possible) I will be shocked if we see this before 2012.

I don't understand it either Brandon. The BEV (USDA Beef Export Verification) Program which uses the technology cannot even put enough cattle together to satisfy the Japan market. Should the Japs open the doors. Our own Alabama Cattlemen's association is fighting mandatory ID because they want to offer an elective system and sell tags themselves. The insiders are fighting amongst themselves on who will profit. JMHO

Brandonm2":26p91gro said:
Scotty":26p91gro said:

Your right, most see the need for more time. Some say that why we should, or USDA should, privatise the whole NAIS.

Scotty

Dun,
I saw where the auction in Lucedale, MS is having a source verified sale at the end of August. I dont think they are that far from having RIF tagged feeder calf sale.

MikeC":nhpvm5sy said:
I don't understand it either Brandon. The BEV (USDA Beef Export Verification) Program which uses the technology cannot even put enough cattle together to satisfy the Japan market. Should the Japs open the doors. Our own Alabama Cattlemen's association is fighting mandatory ID because they want to offer an elective system and sell tags themselves. The insiders are fighting amongst themselves on who will profit. JMHO

I am on the fence on this waiting for our "leaders" to make the call; but it looks to me like we are losing so much of the export market to Australia and company that SOMEBODY should get the ball rolling. Of course even many progressive producers are sitting on the sideline fearing that if they tag everything; that USDA will still adopt a different standard. I don't really care at this point whether it is mandatory OR elective, I just wish a final decision would be made. The current chaos can only be explained by differing viewpoints in the govt. itself. I sorted a group of cattle yesterday and told the owner that he was going to have to have a premises I.D. and mandatory tags by 2009 (any kind of numbers would have been nice when trying to sort out the red angus cows he wanted to keep AND their red angus calves from the pairs we were loading) and they just laughed at me. When the stockyards start tagging (for a fee) or start refusing untagged cattle altogether there will be a real backlash to this and another postponement will almost certainly occur.

jscunn":1ttgnv3s said:
Dun,
I saw where the auction in Lucedale, MS is having a source verified sale at the end of August. I dont think they are that far from having RIF tagged feeder calf sale.

There was a sale like that at Joplin, MO a while back. Never heard what the results were. I would thnk that if it was a huge success there would have been more of them by now.

dun

I have had teh premesis ID since Feb, not that anyone cares. BQA seems important to buyers. I put RFID tags in the calves this year. It cost $2.50 per tag, with $1 extra to enter them into the computer system. There have been a few RFID sales in SD, but the results are the same if you had not tagged. At this point I think it is just trying to raise awareness. the one barn I inquired with said they had 5 lots go through and nobody wanted the cattle scanned. Although one buyer asked some questions about it he didn't really know what he was going to do with the tags.

Here's a article from JRS newsletter
http://www.joplinstockyards.com/newspaper/july.pdf
page 13 has the value added sales results from the 23rd of June. Sales were 4-6 higher than the regular sales.They have had the system in place for about a year I think. And have a sales program a producer can participate in (page 12 lower right corner).
To address the first post the tags are going to be the cheap part of it. You'll still need special software,reader/responders,
probably a laptop with wireless capabilities, and I don't know what all.

i checked out cattlelog, do you pay for the service monthly yearly? they will send tags and forms to fill in information and send back, without a national system where does that information go?

If you have your ID don't worry about the tags yet . Just remember you only have to tag animals that you are selling .

I went to a class tonight on this very subject. There are still a lot of unanswered questions out there. In Alabama there are only currently 1200 of us with I.D's. They expect 75% buy the end of 06. One of the biggest concerns tonight was cattle in differant premises. If you had a differant pasture a little ways down the road for weaning or such your supposed to report which ones are where. They said they realized this was not going to happen. They said at this time they didn't even know who you would report that to. A state vet said, you need to have multiple I.D's to be within the law by 09. He said he was sure folks wouldn't be doing that. The only backlash was if he had to quarintene he would have to do em all. He also said that terrorist are trying to figure out a way to spread a disease in the U.S.. market. If we ain't got enough problems already.

i have 3 or 4 places i rent but i use my home as a base. all of the cows and calves are here at some point in the year. i wondered how that would work. i have an i.d. for the farm but not on individual places, i keep a record of who is where at what time of the year and where they are going next.
has anyone started tagging calves for sale yet? i am fixing to wean my spring calves, should i wait till it is mandatory?

jcarkie":2y0ws8bt said:
i am fixing to wean my spring calves, should i wait till it is mandatory?

We'll be weaning next week and that's what we plan on doing.

dun

The subject of renting also came up at the meeting. If you stop renting you have to call in to take your name off the premise I.D. The I.D. stays with the dirt. It then goes back to the landowner. The biggest problem I had with it is You can't track your calf through the system. He said there will be people out there that will do that for you FOR A FEE!! :mad:

jcarkie":2r5aedr5 said:
i have 3 or 4 places i rent but i use my home as a base. all of the cows and calves are here at some point in the year. i wondered how that would work. i have an i.d. for the farm but not on individual places, i keep a record of who is where at what time of the year and where they are going next.
has anyone started tagging calves for sale yet? i am fixing to wean my spring calves, should i wait till it is mandatory?

In the meeting that I attended they stated you will only need one ID for your homeplace.

You can move cattle from one place to another and you only have to tag cattle when you sell them.

The ID will stay with your homeplace if you ever sell it. If you have a lease and you give up that lease then the property owner will need an ID or the next person leasing it will need an ID if they don't already have one.

I wouldn't worry about tagging cattle now. I bet something will change before it is all said and done.

Latest posts