Pregnat horse?

Help Support CattleToday:

bigjohn513

Reaction score
any "sure sign's" that a horse is getting ready to birth?
she's not due (according to the vet) untill late nov. but at times you can see the colt kicking..im new to this so any help you can give would be great

bigjohn513":ims5pksw said:
any "sure sign's" that a horse is getting ready to birth?
she's not due (according to the vet) untill late nov. but at times you can see the colt kicking..im new to this so any help you can give would be great
Some kicking is a good sign in my opinion. At least you know theres life in there.
Your vet is probably more right than any of us because we haven't seen her. Good Luck :)

Its not a whole lot different in horses than it is in cows. They will bag up tight and the muscles either side of their tailhead will be almost like jello. This can happen anywhere from a week to a few days prior. Their teats will get a waxy looking film over the ends, and when that happens you have anywhere from 24-48 hrs to go.

Thank you all so much...just a bit of nerves kicking in
I'm having a problem with a cow and our vet is going to stop out tomorrow morning and check her too

Dancer2.jpg

Dancer1.jpg
[/img]

Bigjohn,
This horse was our first born on our land. She is now 4 years old, and it was very exciting to watch the birth.
You'll do fine, good luck.

hope the pictures are not too big, first time for posting pictures.

Thank you Kaneranch....we kind of like her too. ;-)

She gets lots of attention when we take her places.
Had some man come to the house to see if she was for sale. he had spotted her in the back pasture while driving down the highway. All I can say is, he has good eyes.

I'm anxious to hear how Bigjohn is doing with his pregnant horse.

Vet came out and said "yep she's about ready"... he put her at about 2 weeks.
The last time he seen her was 3 months ago with the old owner and made a "guess" back then (because were not sure when she was with the stud) after feeling the baby's head.
I'm really looking forward to this but, I'm kinda scared how its all going to go down but looking forward to it at the same time.
Not really sure why im worried i've helped a few calf's come into this world, this just seems diffrent to me.
The horse is an 8yo and this is her first (that we know of)

bigjohn,

I'm not an expert at this. But our mare started pacing about 3 or 4 hours right before laying down and delivering. The birth took time, mom was exhausted after birth. Baby was out but still in sack for too long of a time and mom wasn't doing anything about the sack so we broke it.

We kept the mare in another pasture away from the other horses because they (the other horses) were acting stupid. We were afraid that they would try to hurt her and the baby during delivery.

I taped the entire thing, and then taped days and weeks after the birth. It was great. :D

When Dancer found her legs, she bounced all over her mother and sister. Made them crazy.

Take pictures, I want to see the new addition.

good luck.

hey just a girl! boy! do you have a good lookin horse...i think i'm gonna have to paint her-i'm an artist.just wanna say thanks for postin it...big john, good luck with your girl...can't wait to see the new one...mell

[email protected]":2h89gpzb said:
hey just a girl! boy! do you have a good lookin horse...i think i'm gonna have to paint her-i'm an artist.just wanna say thanks for postin it...big john, good luck with your girl...can't wait to see the new one...mell

thank you....you really made my day. :D

If you have a site where we can see your work, please let us know.

I really like the pictures that are posted on the boards. Some really good pictures of nice green pastures, cattle, and different areas.

Thanks for update bigjohn.....try to relax. :shock:

Latest posts