pregnant or not....For those of you that can tell

Help Support CattleToday:

PLR

Reaction score
So for those of you that can tell by looking...Is she bred or not? Cause I honestly dont know. If she is it is a half highland calf

butts_4.jpg

Shelby

http://www.promiselandranch.net/

Well... She could be Bred to calve anywhere from Jan 10(obviously not) to the End of April.

there is absolutely no way to tell by looking at that cow. so you have a 50/50 chance by guessing.

jt

She certainly doesn't look heavy bred to me, but what would I know, I have the vet preg check my cows. I don't trust visual inspections and I'm not interested in feeding open cows.

deffinately not very close to calving... short bred or medium if anything... she doesn't really look bred, but those are the ones that are.

jerry27150":s8j65pdw said:
if she is only 2-3 months off you should be able to handle the calf on the right side

What do you mean here jerry? That you should be able to feel the calf by touching the right side of the cow's belly?............george

That you should be able to feel the calf by touching the right side of the cow's belly

Yes. The key word is "should", but on most cows you can bump the calf low in the flank area. Sometimes it takes a good bump - it's not going to be something you can feel just by running your hand over the cow's side.

milkmaid":2rh59qaq said:
That you should be able to feel the calf by touching the right side of the cow's belly

Yes. The key word is "should", but on most cows you can bump the calf low in the flank area. Sometimes it takes a good bump - it's not going to be something you can feel just by running your hand over the cow's side.

Hmmmm.......sounds like a good way to get a good swift kick if she's not in a squeeze :shock:

george

that's the way us dairy farmers tell when to dry off a cow if you don't have a breeding date. you get good at it after awhile. about half way between the hollow spot just above the udder and the last rib, you make a fist & press in about 6 inches. if you bump something it is the calf

She doesn't look like she's going to calf in April to me. Short bred maybe.. but not in her third trimester.

If she's quiet and you can handle her, you should be able to lightly "bump" a calf on her lower abdomen.

I have tried the bump technique on her and my other bred cows but it is hit and miss. Sometimes you can feel the calf other times you cant. She is such a thick cow and the calf would only weigh sixtyish pounds and in a 1700 pound cow that is not alot of calf to find. Had the vet out about two months ago and the vet said she was bred cause she couldnt feel uterine horns or a calf so she would have to be bred about 4 or 5 months so maybe in april...I guess we will wait and see.

Shelby

http://www.promiselandranch.net/

Latest posts