Pregnant Heifer Signs

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
I have a pregnant heifer who is supposed to be due in March. Her nipples are getting large and starting to hang down. Her bag is not filling with milk. Is this normal this early? This is my first time with a heifer having a baby so just making sure I should not keep her close to the house to keep an eye on her. She is pretty big but could be some bloat from winter clover. She is a black brangus.

Hfrs often get a little udder development at about seven months. Unless she may have a earlier breeding date I would just keep a eye on her.

Heifers are tricky! Don't gauge by the udder because some (especially heifers) just aren't that big when they calve. She most likely won't calve until her teats start to fill/are full (sometimes not all the teats are full when they calve) but prior to that her hoo-hoo will swell, tail raised &/or to the side, she'll pace or show signs out of character and watch for the mucus plug. Watch her sides to see if the calf has dropped, getting into position (she'll look thinner). My girls always spend quality time at the protein tub just prior to calving and some of them start licking my jeans or grooming other cows - hormones kicking in. If you have her contained you can keep an eye on her, otherwise she may start looking for a place to calve. If you're fairly certain she's due in March I wouldn't worry unless/until you see the signs. Keep us posted & good luck!

Latest posts