Pregnant cow needs?

Help Support CattleToday:

Gliderider

Reaction score
Hi again,
I am awaiting the arival of two bred highland cows(my first) and have a few feeding questions before they get here. My background is in horses and the two dairy calves I have now.
First- I feed my calves horse/cattle feed, the tag is as follows.
Protein - 10%
Fat - 3%
Fiber - 15%
Calcium - 1.2%
Salt - 1%
Phorsphorus - .4%
Potassium - .6%
Copper
Selnium
Zinc
Vit. A
Is this sufficent for a pregnant cow? Should I add something with more fat? When you want to add fat to a horses diet without adding protien you add corn/veggie oil or Black Oil Sunflower seeds(Not for horses with HYPP, too high in Potassium)
What else does a pregnant cow require?
Do I need to worm them now before they calve? If so with what? I have some more questions but I'll post them under the right topics. Thanks for any help you can give me.

the tagg on the feed you posted is just fine to feed to bred cows.they only need 5 or 6lbs grain a day.plus free choice salt an minerals.as for worming.id wait till they calve.then worm them 3wks after calving.

Gliderider":3gcjgcc1 said:
Hi again,
I am awaiting the arival of two bred highland cows(my first) and have a few feeding questions before they get here. My background is in horses and the two dairy calves I have now.
First- I feed my calves horse/cattle feed, the tag is as follows.
Protein - 10%
Fat - 3%
Fiber - 15%
Calcium - 1.2%
Salt - 1%
Phorsphorus - .4%
Potassium - .6%
Copper
Selnium
Zinc
Vit. A
Is this sufficent for a pregnant cow? Should I add something with more fat? When you want to add fat to a horses diet without adding protien you add corn/veggie oil or Black Oil Sunflower seeds(Not for horses with HYPP, too high in Potassium)
What else does a pregnant cow require?
Do I need to worm them now before they calve? If so with what? I have some more questions but I'll post them under the right topics. Thanks for any help you can give me.

We raise Horned Herfs. Usually calve them out at around 14 - 1500 pounds.

They get the following for feed:

Hay, mineral, water.

If it gets real cold - below minus 30 or so - I might - if I have the inclination - throw them some corn. No, they are not bags of bones and no they are not low quality cattle.

If you want to see some pics - go here:
http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic. ... bezs+herfs

and follow the thread. They are all bred and all living outside.

Get your hay tested - 11 - 12% protein or better and they are getting all they need.

You absolutely do not need to feed a bunch of store bought stuff to the cows. It is for the most part a waste of money and a waste of time.

Genetics and good hay will do most for you. Mineral and water come right in at a near second.

On top of all my comments, you are raising Highlands. They were developed to survive on rough feed. Give them the hi classed food and stand the potential of doing your part to reduce this breed to a grain dependant animal.

Believe me, the originals were developed to eat twigs and bark and old weeds and do well.

Regards,

Bez!

Thanks for the replies. I talked to the man I'm buying from and he feeds them cracked corn, but only a handful to get them to come. I will get my hay tested before they get here. I really like the fact that they can survive on what others would starve on.
You have a good point about not ruining them with feed. I certainly don't want to do that. We have enough pasture for them to thrive on. Normally I wouldn't even be feeding hay, but we also had a bad summer for rain. Not nearly as bad as out west but bad anough to kill any chance of grass this winter. I feed the horses grain, mainly because 2 of the 3 I own are, 21 and 24 years old. The two calves get grain for adding weight.
Bez- You've got some great looking cattle!
Caustic- I certainly don't want to play the losers game. I tend to lose when I do. :D
Thanks again for the replies.

Latest posts