Preg check results with decent feed

Help Support CattleToday:

No I don't own any $200,000 bulls and I don't think any bull is worth anywhere near that.Lots of bulls in the world,if a bull costs $200,000 it must be rare and if he is that rare I don't think he will recreate himself very often.I don't mind paying $50 or more for a straw of semen either,but just because a bull sold for $200,000 doesn't make him any better than a bull that for $2,000.Ever notice how high a dollar bulls calves sell high untill there are a bunch of them around. The two bulls I owned that went on to be used A.I. were bought back by the breeders and then promoted,because if I had tried to sell semen on them they would just have been another bull. I don't think the last bull that went back to the breeder would sell for $200,000,but he is just hitting his stride and bet he would bring $40,000-$50,000 + if they sold him in their next production sale.I would not give half that for him if I just hit the lotto,not because I don't think he is a good bull but because I think others will do the same thing.

EAT BEEF":1gk7261f said:
No I don't own any $200,000 bulls and I don't think any bull is worth anywhere near that.Lots of bulls in the world,if a bull costs $200,000 it must be rare and if he is that rare I don't think he will recreate himself very often.I don't mind paying $50 or more for a straw of semen either,but just because a bull sold for $200,000 doesn't make him any better than a bull that for $2,000.Ever notice how high a dollar bulls calves sell high untill there are a bunch of them around. The two bulls I owned that went on to be used A.I. were bought back by the breeders and then promoted,because if I had tried to sell semen on them they would just have been another bull. I don't think the last bull that went back to the breeder would sell for $200,000,but he is just hitting his stride and bet he would bring $40,000-$50,000 + if they sold him in their next production sale.I would not give half that for him if I just hit the lotto,not because I don't think he is a good bull but because I think others will do the same thing.
What changes in the bull or the breeder so that he wants to buy a bull back for AI? I got two or three I sure wish the breeder wanted back ;-)

denoginnizer":1rjlethg said:
EAT BEEF":1rjlethg said:
What changes in the bull or the breeder so that he wants to buy a bull back for AI? I got two or three I sure wish the breeder wanted back ;-)
They liked the calves,so they gave me 200 straws and another bull I wanted to use on his heifers.If I was smart I would have kept half interest,but it was a win win because if I had kept him he would just have been another bull.

EAT BEEF":13wqe4jv said:
denoginnizer":13wqe4jv said:
EAT BEEF":13wqe4jv said:
They liked the calves,so they gave me 200 straws and another bull I wanted to use on his heifers.If I was smart I would have kept half interest,but it was a win win because if I had kept him he would just have been another bull.

What will you do with 200 straws of semen from "just another bull" and how much would you want for that semen if it were for sale?? Value is in the eye of the beholder and what his plans are for something may be nowhere near what yours or mine were. He's in the business to make money...nothing else..At $50 and up for a straw of semen it doesn't take long to recoup money. Many of the bulls used to day in all breeds for AI have been dead for years as well so the semen then becomes even more valuable if it was ever valuable.

My initial point was simply that with AI I have access to many very good bulls instead of owning one so=so bull that I used only because it was all I could afford.