Predator

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a real phobia about snakes I think it is because there are none around here I have only saw a couple of little garter snakes in the river valley. When I would go antelope hunting in southern Alberta I was always watching for rattlers even though the locals said they all were gone in Nov it was too cold.I have always growen up with bears and wolves around and am used to them just know how to act around them you cant bluff a sow with cubs but a small yearling may try to act tough but most will run when you call them on it. I knew a woman that was killed by a bear she grew up in the woods and was picking berries and a large boar snuck up and got the drop on her F&W shot the bear near her body. So you do have to be aware of your surroundings when in bear country. Black bears on private land and leases are treated the same as coyotes and foxes you can shoot with no license I always keep the hide but don't care for the meat so I leave it if no one else wants it. I don't shoot every one I see just the ones that hang around home watching the animals. Here are some pics of bears I caught on my trail cam I set up on a pile of grain to see the deer sure surprised me when I looked the pile was about 400yrd from my friends house :eek:

tamarack":6u65lhem said:
Bez I know the area you talk about a good friend had land there and ran cattle, McLachlan was his name passed away in Feb didn't make 55 we hunted and ran cattle together I sure miss him.I used to be a bear guide south of there in the saddle hills area for a few years so I have had a lot of experience with bears and our friends in the USA,boy I have some stories about both. Had to quit when the arthritis got too bad.

I met Eldon one cold, stormy and snowy night just before Christmas at around 2030 hours in that little tiny house on top of the hill - around 1996-7 - wife, kids and I ended up living in it for nearly 5 years. It is a long story and we formed a heck of a friendship with the family that carries on today.

I was a dairy guy and had run some beef over the years but Elden started us off in a big way when we bought a good sized bunch from him and ran them all together on his ground.

As my wife says - he was the first to welcome us into the Peace country and the last to say goodbye. The stories I could tell you about him and his family and our family - and the things we did to each other - he was always ready to pull a prank - and never lost his cool when he got it back.

I was talking to him on New Years Day.

He died on my birthday and when I got the call - I talked to Val on my cell phone from downtown Ottawa - big tough combat soldier - wearing his uniform and looking pretty rough from a rather demanding trip I just got back from - crying like a baby on the main street of town. Hardest call I ever made.

Awesome guy - he touched a lot of people

Allan and Steph just had a baby. I spent about an hour on the phone with him just after it was born. I have never met Steph - I was in Syria when they got married but I sent the wife out to rep for our family. He is a great kid who is now a fine young man and he will fill his Daddy's shadow just fine someday - I told him I had a lot of faith in him and that he could call any time.

Wife and I plan to visit them in the near future.

I suspect we have met a time or two.

Bez

Bez Yes we must have met at one time or another Eldon and I were born 10 days apart and lived 1 mile away when he lived in Brownvale. Val and I went to school together. I talked to him the night before he died and he never said he didn't feel well or was tired he would work a 12hr night shift and feed the cows before turning in for a few hrs sleep and do it all over agin never knew the word tired.

I was near Anaconda, MT helping a friend scout for Bighorn. I had killed one the year before in this range. I got him into the area and he was going to look around for the day so I headed back to where we were parked. It was pre-season so I didn't have a rifle. I saw a large bear near a mountain pool. I thought it was a boar. I had a camera and was moving in to get pictures. I was careful to get as close as I could to take pictures. I assumed my chances were low and he would run off. I surprised myself at how close I got. The bear was not alarmed and running off. He was moving around me in an arc. Then he took a stand and was woofing at me. This was unusual behavior. He retreated a few feet then made a run at me woofing. This happened twice and the second time the distance between us alarmed me. I climbed a tree as I was afraid running would only set him off. My defense was a S&W K-22 masterpiece. When I went up the tree what I thought was a he was a she. She came in closer. That was when I saw the two cubs moving around in the undergrowth not far from the tree. I threw a couple dead limbs at them and they ran off, taking mom with them.

Yes,inyati that woofing and jaw popin sound sure does get your attention when you are in real trouble you hear nothing no warning just bush rustling and they are there that is when they mean business.

tamarack":gpcxac9w said:
Yes,inyati that woofing and jaw popin sound sure does get your attention when you are in real trouble you hear nothing no warning just bush rustling and they are there that is when they mean business.
I forgot about that. She was popin her jaws. That was only time I ever heard that.

Here is the critter to be concerned about particularly in some of the tropics:
http://msnvideo.msn.com/?channelindex=4 ... 8c44865610

People just freak out over snakes and i agree, its programmed in us.
Get bit by a venomous serpent one time and it will change your whole attitude. Watch your leg turn black up to the thigh, see your foot swell to a size 19, and never really go back down to it's normal size. Then, Get the hospital bill.

Tamarack and Bez, I was starting to tear up a bit reading your stories.
My condolences to you both, and this man's other loved ones, for the loss of your friend.

Latest posts