Predator

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8":66cohu3q said:
We have a lot of snakes, yet, never lost a cow to a snake bite. Not that it doesnt happen. But their heads are always in snake territory, on the ground. If i ever have a snake chew the tail off my cow, i'll post it here.

I stand in awe of your ability to be an ass. You have set a new standard at Cattle Today. :tiphat: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

3waycross":oxu6qfli said:
cowgirl8":oxu6qfli said:
We have a lot of snakes, yet, never lost a cow to a snake bite. Not that it doesnt happen. But their heads are always in snake territory, on the ground. If i ever have a snake chew the tail off my cow, i'll post it here.

I stand in awe of your ability to be an ass. You have set a new standard at Cattle Today. :tiphat: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
And that's saying something.

Bez I know the area you talk about a good friend had land there and ran cattle, McLachlan was his name passed away in Feb didn't make 55 we hunted and ran cattle together I sure miss him.I used to be a bear guide south of there in the saddle hills area for a few years so I have had a lot of experience with bears and our friends in the USA,boy I have some stories about both. Had to quit when the arthritis got too bad.

You are definitely in some rough terrain Tamarack .
Hope everything works out well for you . :tiphat:

We have a cougar again , spotted so far where no calves and cattle are . Hopefully he/she moves along to the riverbed and soon .

One of my friends in Colombia had a Boa eat one of his yearlings.. thing was HUGE... Glad we don't have anything that big around here, though there are rattlers around, not on my side of the river though.. Around here we have king snakes and garter snakes, both non venomous, and some are beautiful!

so if you shoot a bear can you butcher it? Is there regulations on it do you have to notify a wild life department or what just curious. I don't have wolves or bears around here mainly just coyotes, bobcats, snakes and hogs and no one gives a rats if you shoot those on your property. Was just wondering if it is different with bears, wolves and cougars.

A guy told me once to avoid being attacked by a grizzly it's a good idea to wear little bells and carry bear spray.

He also told me how to tell the diference between black bear and grizzly poop.

He said grizzy poop smells a little like bear spray and will have little bells in it. :cowboy:

That view of the town of Peace River as you are coming down that hill on Route 2 is a wonder. I did help you out a few years ago, I shot 2 black bears up there. Cannot remember the year but in the 1990s. I do remember getting sick, I think from drinking water from an open impoundment they had at the cabin. Interesting country.

I bet running cattle up there is a tough ballgame!!!

Richardin52":xicguuoh said:
A guy told me once to avoid being attacked by a grizzly it's a good idea to wear little bells and carry bear spray.

He said grizzy poop smells a little like bear spray and will have little bells in it. :cowboy:

:lol:

Richardin52":3du3iih9 said:

The reality of the difference between Grizzly and Black bears is that if you get attacked by a black bear you had better fight like he[[ for your life cuz he's gonna kill you for sure if he can.

With a Grizzly if you can actually play dead while he is tearing your scalp off he might quit and walk away.

and for what it's worth I have been chased by a snake especially a cottonmouth. I have not been chased by a rattlesnake but I have been struck at by a few and unprovoked most of the time.

Cotton mouths do chase you. I have a video of one doing it. Even freaked me out a little but then again I was poking him with my foot. Lol

I do this to every snake i see and i was well aware they do come at you sometimes. Being out on a 4wheeler so much, i gotta find something to entertain me. This one though came after me..lol As you can see, all i had to do was jump out of the way. Not sure i'd poke at a grizzly with my shoe...lol But hey, if yall have a video of you doing such please post it.
[youtube]zU3C6DUQA24[/youtube]

How did we switch from bears in general to grizzlies. Very few people live is serious grizzly country and those that do generally go around packing serious heat. You never did answer the question about number of people at the hospital from snakes as opposed to bears. Bears don't lay in hiding in the grass while you walk up and step on them. They are big enough that you see them a ways off and generally avoid them. Especially grizzlies.

Dave":213dlple said:
How did we switch from bears in general to grizzlies. Very few people live is serious grizzly country and those that do generally go around packing serious heat. You never did answer the question about number of people at the hospital from snakes as opposed to bears. Bears don't lay in hiding in the grass while you walk up and step on them. They are big enough that you see them a ways off and generally avoid them. Especially grizzlies.
I'm guessing that there are way more snakes than bears so that should lower the numbers. I'm also going to guess that a great % of non fatal snake bite reports were nonpoisonous since most people dont know the difference. I'll also guess there are more people who are around snakes than there are in bear country. Snakes can live anywhere, where bears get relocated if they go to a populated area and become problems. About 5 people a year die from snake bites..Mosquito's are widely regarded as the most deadly creature on the planet, killing an estimated 3 million people per year. I'll say it again, its all what you are use to. I'm around way more snakes than i have ever been around bears. And if you can get a video of you poking a bear with a stick, please post it. I'd love to see it, really.. :clap:

neighbor of mine, a well built fellow, was changing irrigation lines in tall grass when a grizzly bear stood up in front of him, He hit it with the only thing he had.. a pipe wrench... I'd have paid to get that on video! I think it was the same bear that spooked our cows one day about 4 years ago, and he may be back again this year

Most of people who live in areas with lots of bears rarely or never even see any bears let alone poke one with a stick. The only time I have been close enough was at the garbage dump from a logging camp in Alaska. Yogi would help you unload the garbage out of the back of the pickup. We were so bored that we would bet on which bear got the best garbage. But old Yogi would kick Boo Boo's rear every single night. We would have to get a new guy into camp to take Boo Boo in the bet.

I do know some guys that were up at Larson Bay on Kodiak Island. They put some food in the back of a pickup and drove to the dump and parked. When a young brown bear climbed into the truck to get the food they drove back into town. The bear was busy eating while they toured him around town. Maybe not the brightest thing to do. After they took the bear back to the dump the town marshal had words with them.

Please excuse me if I am being ignorant, but why would anyone go around "poking bears or snakes with a stick"?
OR ANY ANIMAL for that matter. :roll: I see no point in it, except to maybe move it out of your way. Anything else is just tormenting it. (Yes, even a snake that is trying to get away.) JMHO

Dave":3cel03vn said:
Most of people who live in areas with lots of bears rarely or never even see any bears let alone poke one with a stick. The only time I have been close enough was at the garbage dump from a logging camp in Alaska. Yogi would help you unload the garbage out of the back of the pickup. We were so bored that we would bet on which bear got the best garbage. But old Yogi would kick Boo Boo's rear every single night. We would have to get a new guy into camp to take Boo Boo in the bet.

I do know some guys that were up at Larson Bay on Kodiak Island. They put some food in the back of a pickup and drove to the dump and parked. When a young brown bear climbed into the truck to get the food they drove back into town. The bear was busy eating while they toured him around town. Maybe not the brightest thing to do. After they took the bear back to the dump the town marshal had words with them.

Talking about garbage dumps. When I was a young fella dating girls we used take them to the dump to watch the bears sometimes. There would be three or four bears at a time at the dump. Best thing was the girls did'nt dare to get out of the truck. ;-)

Cowgirl8, I agree. There are more myths about snakes than any other animal in the Kingdom. They cannot leap tall buildings, their mobility is restricted by the absence of legs, the best ones at striking maybe reach one third the length of their body, and except for members of the family viperidae most venomous serpents are not as fast as the human hand delivering a bite. I can take a three eighth inch wooden dowel and absolutely wear a king cobra out trying to bite me. Nevertheless, venomous snakes kill more people worldwide than any of the big mammals like the elephant, the big cats or even the hippo. Many people in undeveloped countries are bitten by snakes laying on the dusty paths to the latrine during the night. Venomous snakes crawl into rondavels and huts seeking mice, they become threatened by the human inhabitants and respond in defense by biting the humans on the face or arms. Snakebite is horrific. I have studied snakebite. The venom of snakes is a masterpiece in tissue destruction. Some snakes like the Gaboon Viper of African forests and tropics, have venom that works on several levels to destroy your tissue, red blood cells and nervous system. But as you mention, venomous snakes do not even hold a candle to the threat posed by malaria and a multitude of other tropical diseases like schistosomiasis. Insects kill far more people than venomous snakes. Honey bees alone kill more people than snakes. But you are fighting a losing battle in your effort to diminish the impact a serpent has on humans. I believe it has it's origins deeply implanted in man's relationship with the serpent going all the way back to the myths of ancient times including the serpent in the Garden of Eden. I saw a picture one of my friends posted on Facebook of a Black Ratsnake mutilated. It was disgusting to someone who understands they are harmless creatures who do a great service to mankind but to so many Kentuckians, they are the very essence of evil.

inyati13":1cmtyhv5 said:
Cowgirl8, I agree. There are more myths about snakes than any other animal in the Kingdom. They cannot leap tall buildings, their mobility is restricted by the absence of legs, the best ones at striking maybe reach one third the length of their body, and except for members of the family viperidae most venomous serpents are not as fast as the human hand delivering a bite. I can take a three eighth inch wooden dowel and absolutely wear a king cobra out trying to bite me. Nevertheless, venomous snakes kill more people worldwide than any of the big mammals like the elephant, the big cats or even the hippo. Many people in undeveloped countries are bitten by snakes laying on the dusty paths to the latrine during the night. Venomous snakes crawl into rondavels and huts seeking mice, they become threatened by the human inhabitants and respond in defense by biting the humans on the face or arms. Snakebite is horrific. I have studied snakebite. The venom of snakes is a masterpiece in tissue destruction. Some snakes like the Gaboon Viper of African forests and tropics, have venom that works on several levels to destroy your tissue, red blood cells and nervous system. But as you mention, venomous snakes do not even hold a candle to the threat posed by malaria and a multitude of other tropical diseases like schistosomiasis. Insects kill far more people than venomous snakes. Honey bees alone kill more people than snakes. But you are fighting a losing battle in your effort to diminish the impact a serpent has on humans. I believe it has it's origins deeply implanted in man's relationship with the serpent going all the way back to the myths of ancient times including the serpent in the Garden of Eden. I saw a picture one of my friends posted on Facebook of a Black Ratsnake mutilated. It was disgusting to someone who understands they are harmless creatures who do a great service to mankind but to so many Kentuckians, they are the very essence of evil.
I saw on my FB where someone killed a big whip snake. They were so proud that they were so brave... Ugh, i can tell if a snake is poisonous instantly, even from a distance. People just freak out over snakes and i agree, its programmed in us.

Latest posts