predator deterrent lights

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
Coyote thread and some other things made me think about this.

Do any of you use Nitegard,Predatorguard or some other kind of blinking lights to scare off coyotes? I've seen several brands advertised but can't decide if they would work for a calving pasture or if they are just a way for someone else to have some of my money.
If they work,I guess an electric fence pulse indicator would too.Monitor fence performance while they keep some coyotes at bay.

No . They are not vampires, light doesn't bother them...
When we had sheep ,we learned they become accustomed to anything quite quickly. When we where actively losing stock we would even leave a truck with the radio playing in the pasture. It would work for a couple of nights. But that's it.

https://pestrepellerultimate.com/products/guardian-g2-propane-cannon-telescoping-barrel?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpLfzBRCRARIsAHuj6qU5MH0zlXyOKPMM5rVn1mD9vXgdFP6czE4vfaluuVcps2-_WMmb72saAkQEEALw_wcB
Check out one of these. We use one like this at our tree nursery to keep deer away

Can't use those here in Augusta County.BOS outlawed them in the last couple of weeks.People using them for bird deterrent and people in their areas weren't happy.I can see both sides.If it was a short term use and not real close together,that's one thing.But day after day close together would get old fast.I know what Saturdays can be like here occasionally when some of the camps in hearing distance are occupied.Maybe I should start an ammo sideline.Might do right well.

kenny thomas said:
https://pestrepellerultimate.com/products/guardian-g2-propane-cannon-telescoping-barrel?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpLfzBRCRARIsAHuj6qU5MH0zlXyOKPMM5rVn1mD9vXgdFP6czE4vfaluuVcps2-_WMmb72saAkQEEALw_wcB
Check out one of these. We use one like this at our tree nursery to keep deer away
I got one of those. I have only given it limited use so far, got it v. cheap at an auction. thought it would be handy for roos on crops. Everyone tells me they get used to them. My neighbour said they get used to them but you get to shoot 3 or 4 of them before they wake up and take off. It is very loud and I do worry about neighbours.

Ken

JW IN VA said:
Can't use those here in Augusta County.BOS outlawed them in the last couple of weeks.People using them for bird deterrent and people in their areas weren't happy.I can see both sides.If it was a short term use and not real close together,that's one thing.But day after day close together would get old fast.I know what Saturdays can be like here occasionally when some of the camps in hearing distance are occupied.Maybe I should start an ammo sideline.Might do right well.
The nursery in Augusta Co is where we have used them for years. Lol.
Maybe we are the cause of the new rules

No one said anything about that one.There was a vineyard in Swoope and a hog farm on the eastern side the story talked about.
I saw a man have one once to keep deer out of his corn.The "cannon" was on one side of the field and the deer on the other.
Only cannon I know of to keep deer out of corn is a much smaller bore. :)