Predator

Help Support CattleToday:

tamarack

Reaction score
Caught this fellow scoping out the new calves just had my camera and sorting stick my old 30-06 is now on the quad every time I go to do my checks it gets spooky at night but his days are numbered I think its the one that got my pb shorthorns tail last fall.

I've got some bear around but never had a problem. I just figured a mother cow, or several together, would send them packing.

I have fields out of sight and surounded by woods and we have never lost a cow or calf. If I ever saw a bear in the pasture I'd drop him like a bad habit though.

Awe poor stubby!
Had a black bear living with the cattle in Oregon. He never bothered them at all. Except i lost a calf down one of his den holes, and it took us awhile to find her! She was fine, just laying there waiting to be rescued.
Now the cougars gave us a lot of trouble! The mamma cows had the calves all circled up fighting one off one day, not far from the house. Heard the cows bellering in a voice I never heard before! We ran up there and was able to shoot about a 200lb cat. It had taken the end of the tail off a calf, but other then that, those Brangus cows kept it off! They had those calves totally surrounded in tight between them! And old grandma cow was facing off the cougar making a weriod bellering that I never heard before, or ever heard since.

Branguscowgirl, we have had cougar here too, and I'm certain the cows make different noises for different animals.. black bears and coyotes, Make some noise, but not really a big worry... We've had a grizzly and the cougar, and they make a whole lot more fuss about them! It is a weird bellering, often lots of low grunts that shake the ground. I know I am grabbing my rifle on the way out the door when I hear it though.. The cows are never wrong about what's out there!

Fellow about 40 miles north of us (that is *really* in the boonies) had Salers and they'd circle around the calves to keep them safe.. Wolves were his big predators.. he rarely lost one, since he went to mostly angus, the cows scatter more and he's been losing a lot more. I guess I'd leave my cows horned if I lived around there!

branguscowgirl":3vs5dc4r said:
Awe poor stubby!
Had a black bear living with the cattle in Oregon. He never bothered them at all. Except i lost a calf down one of his den holes, and it took us awhile to find her! She was fine, just laying there waiting to be rescued.
Now the cougars gave us a lot of trouble! The mamma cows had the calves all circled up fighting one off one day, not far from the house. Heard the cows bellering in a voice I never heard before! We ran up there and was able to shoot about a 200lb cat. It had taken the end of the tail off a calf, but other then that, those Brangus cows kept it off! They had those calves totally surrounded in tight between them! And old grandma cow was facing off the cougar making a weriod bellering that I never heard before, or ever heard since.
Good mommas!

tamarack":2bzjo4oz said:
Caught this fellow scoping out the new calves just had my camera and sorting stick my old 30-06 is now on the quad every time I go to do my checks it gets spooky at night but his days are numbered I think its the one that got my pb shorthorns tail last fall.

Peace River country.

We used to run a few cattle just north of the Dunvegan bridge. Would go back in a heart beat.

The bear population was and still is quite healthy there. You need to invite a few Americans up for a shoot. Biggest and prettiest bear I ever shot was a cinnamon coloured black bear as the off-coloured bear population is really high.

Shot it at around 10 paces with a 54 cal Hawkins and a 550 grain buffalo bullet backed by 110 grains of FF black powder.

If you can see the ears sticking up like a dog they are not a heavy bear folks - shoot the ones that have small ears - because they are not really small - the head is big!

Cheers

Bez__

Now bears are something to be afraid of.
I got a picture of a bear in California, forget what park. But we were driving around and saw a family parked in a rest area. What we saw and what they didnt see was a big bear just down an embankment. We stopped and warned them. They acted like they didnt care. I was like, ok, looked them over and noted several i knew i could outrun leaned over and took a picture. Pointed the bear out again, got no response, so we left. I didnt hear of any bear attacks so i''m guessing they got moving again with the same amount of passengers. I did not like being in parks where you have to lock your things up to keep bears out. Did not like it at all. We have bears where i live, but they are small black bears and all i've ever seen have been foot prints. We also have cougars and we see them often. Our daughter had a dog run over and the person who did it came to their door to tell them. A few minutes later my son in law went out to get the dog off the road. It was gone but left a trail of blood. He followed the trail and it ended at a tree. He looked up the tree and there was a very large cougar with the dog, a full grown lab, in its mouth...Had a report that one fell onto a car out of a tree just down from our house next to our heifer pasture. Didnt like that one bit, but so far everyone still has their calves.

cowgirl8":1e0nek8x said:
I got a picture of a bear in California, forget what park. But we were driving around and saw a family parked in a rest area. What we saw and what they didnt see was a big bear just down an embankment. We stopped and warned them. They acted like they didnt care. I was like, ok, looked them over and noted several i knew i could outrun leaned over and took a picture. Pointed the bear out again, got no response, so we left. I didnt hear of any bear attacks so i''m guessing they got moving again with the same amount of passengers. I did not like being in parks where you have to lock your things up to keep bears out. Did not like it at all. We have bears where i live, but they are small black bears and all i've ever seen have been foot prints. We also have cougars and we see them often. Our daughter had a dog run over and the person who did it came to their door to tell them. A few minutes later my son in law went out to get the dog off the road. It was gone but left a trail of blood. He followed the trail and it ended at a tree. He looked up the tree and there was a very large cougar with the dog, a full grown lab, in its mouth...Had a report that one fell onto a car out of a tree just down from our house next to our heifer pasture. Didnt like that one bit, but so far everyone still has their calves.

Snakes aren't something to be afraid of but bears are.......Hmmmmmm. I have been around lots and lots of bears all my life. Western Washington has more bears per square mile than any other part of the USA including Alaska and it is pretty rare to hear of a bear attack. Less than one a year. A whole lot more people end up in the hospital every year from snake bite than from bears. I have throw rocks at bears to get them out of my way (black bears, I am not near tough enough to toss rocks at grizzly bears).

Dave":fsnkll26 said:
cowgirl8":fsnkll26 said:

Snakes aren't something to be afraid of but bears are.......Hmmmmmm. I have been around lots and lots of bears all my life. Western Washington has more bears per square mile than any other part of the USA including Alaska and it is pretty rare to hear of a bear attack. Less than one a year. A whole lot more people end up in the hospital every year from snake bite than from bears. I have throw rocks at bears to get them out of my way (black bears, I am not near tough enough to toss rocks at grizzly bears).
So see, its all in what you are use to. You know how to avoid being attacked by a bear, i know my way around snakes. I'll just have to point out that in parks down here, there are no special rules to do to avoid snakes, but there are laws in bear country. And point me to the logic where you need a shotgun for a snake, and a rock for a bear. lol.........its all what you're use to.. If i'm ever in bear country, i'll always make sure i'm not the slowest person in the group, forget the rocks... :lol2:

So see, its all in what you are use to. You know how to avoid being attacked by a bear, i know my way around snakes. I'll just have to point out that in parks down here, there are no special rules to do to avoid snakes, but there are laws in bear country. And point me to the logic where you need a shotgun for a snake, and a rock for a bear. lol.........its all what you're use to.. If i'm ever in bear country, i'll always make sure i'm not the slowest person in the group, forget the rocks... :lol2:[/quote]

Would that include a family picnic?

3waycross":h7fktjqe said:
So see, its all in what you are use to. You know how to avoid being attacked by a bear, i know my way around snakes. I'll just have to point out that in parks down here, there are no special rules to do to avoid snakes, but there are laws in bear country. And point me to the logic where you need a shotgun for a snake, and a rock for a bear. lol.........its all what you're use to.. If i'm ever in bear country, i'll always make sure i'm not the slowest person in the group, forget the rocks... :lol2:

Would that include a family picnic?[/quote]
I would throw myself in front of a bear for my family as i'm sure everyone here would do also. :?

My Dad always said the cows wouldn't cross where a bear had walked. Anything to that? If the girls weren't at the barn in the morning he would have to walk out and get them. Use to aggravate him getting the girls to move over their perceived line of danger. Would have been black bears as the farm was in northern new york.

presmudjo":8n6yaaaw said:
My Dad always said the cows wouldn't cross where a bear had walked. Anything to that? If the girls weren't at the barn in the morning he would have to walk out and get them. Use to aggravate him getting the girls to move over their perceived line of danger. Would have been black bears as the farm was in northern new york.

I see bear tracks often fairly often in the pasture the cows don't seem to care.

You missed my point. People in hospitals. Bears vs Snakes. I believe the snakes are ahead by a considerable margin. If you talk about cougars which you mentioned the margin gets even wider. I have seen signs in places warning people about the possibility of snakes. The food thing with the bears is to keep them from being attracted to the areas where campers are thus avoiding potential issues. Yogi gets use to raiding the picnic baskets and the next guy is sleeping beside his picnic basket.

We have a huge bear problem where my cows run. As the crow flies most of my ground is only ten miles from Sequoia and Kings National Parks so in the fall all those protected bears just stroll down the ridge to ranch country. My neighbor shot three last year on calf carcasses but I haven't lost any calves to them that I know of. My problem with them is that they're he!! on my springs. They will tear up a spring box that is pig proof and leave the cows with nothing. There is one big guy in particular that guards his spring and won't let anything come in to drink. I've been gunning for hims for a few years.
As far as the cows and bears, my cows don't care unless the bear is on the hunt. I've watched bears stroll right past my cows and they never even looked at each other.

Dave":2ghpmf9x said:
Yogi gets use to raiding the picnic baskets and the next guy is sleeping beside his picnic basket.
I had a bear pull a sack of grain that I was using for a pillow out from under my head once. If he had any intention of hurting me I wouldn't be here typing. I have also had snake venom all over my shin after he got through the top of my boot... one of those two encounters involved an animal that meant me harm.

We have a lot of snakes, yet, never lost a cow to a snake bite. Not that it doesnt happen. But their heads are always in snake territory, on the ground. If i ever have a snake chew the tail off my cow, i'll post it here.

Latest posts