Pre-calving nursing cow

Help Support CattleToday:

djalbaugh

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to call it, but I have a cow that is due to calve today but has not done so yet. I know this is no reason for real concern. The problem is that I have limited space to provide for calving so I had this cow in with another cow that had twins on 9 Jan this year and the one calf has started to nurse off the expecting cow. The expecting cow has good milk but we were growing concerned that she is showing signs of an adoptive mother and is treating the calf as her own and that this nursing may have some impact on her maternal instinct to continue with her own pregnancy and deliver her calf on time. I clearly don't have any experience with this type of thing it is simply me trying to theorize as to what is happening here.

We have since separated our expecting cow and she is penned alone now. I noticed this afternoon that her udder is getting extremely full and I have some concern that this could lead to mastitis or some other problems if she doesn't calve soon. Any information pertaining to this would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

If she has been nursing that other calf for very long I'd let her keep doing it until she starts to calve. She most likely will take her own calf as long as they are separated. What you need to do ASAP is get a good colostrum replacement as this cow won't have it for her calf any more. Get it into the calf as soon as it's born, or you'll have a calf with zero immunity. If you can't be there to watch her all day separate when you leave and put her back in when you come back. You could get mastitis if you quit now.

Thank you. That's kinda what I was thinking but wanted another opinion. The colostrum issue was another concern of mine. I would say it's been about a week since the calf has been nursing on her and we only separated them yesterday.

I just got back from checking on the expectant cow and she has a small amount (about 12 inches long) of discharge/plug/something hanging. Hopefully this is a sign of something good happening. Her udders seem very full although she still moves around with ease. We're hoping that something will happen by morning--if not, she will go back in with the other cow and her twins just to reduce the size of her udder a little bit to prevent the mastitis problem.

I'll get the colostrum replacer tomorrow morning and will have it on stand-by. Thank you again for your assistance.

djalbaugh":yolm11a0 said:
I just got back from checking on the expectant cow and she has a small amount (about 12 inches long) of discharge/plug/something hanging. Hopefully this is a sign of something good happening. Her udders seem very full although she still moves around with ease. We're hoping that something will happen by morning--if not, she will go back in with the other cow and her twins just to reduce the size of her udder a little bit to prevent the mastitis problem.

I'll get the colostrum replacer tomorrow morning and will have it on stand-by. Thank you again for your assistance.

Do NOT, I repeat, do not, put this cow back with the calf that was sucking her. A full udder will not cause mastitis, that is caused by contamination getting into the cow's udder. And, the more another calf sucks out of her, the less colostrum she will have for her own calf. I agree, get some colostrum replacer for her calf, and get it into it when it is born. But the more she has left for her calf, the better.

She sounds like a perfectly normal cow, that is getting close to calving. If she is trying to mother the other calf, that will most likely cause you problems. It won't prevent or delay her giving birth, but it is very possible she will reject her own calf in favor of the twin calf. After she has mothered up with her own baby good, then you can put her back with the other calves.

randiliana":327i31cb said:
Do NOT, I repeat, do not, put this cow back with the calf that was sucking her. A full udder will not cause mastitis, that is caused by contamination getting into the cow's udder. And, the more another calf sucks out of her, the less colostrum she will have for her own calf. I agree, get some colostrum replacer for her calf, and get it into it when it is born. But the more she has left for her calf, the better.

If she is trying to mother the other calf, that will most likely cause you problems. .... it is very possible she will reject her own calf in favor of the twin calf. After she has mothered up with her own baby good, then you can put her back with the other calves.

I couldn't agree more.

ABSOLUELY DO NOT put that cow back with those twins.

And as to what Caustic posted...I also agree 100%. She sure could come in handy as a nurse cow.....AFTER she's had her own calf.

Katherine.

Latest posts