Powerstroke or Duramax?

Help Support CattleToday:

Wilson_Cattle_Company

Reaction score
Manchester, Oklahoma, In a Saddle, ridin' rodeos,
I am looking around for a new pickemup.

I have always been a ford guy myself.

I called Chevorlet today, I can get a 2006 Chevy 3500 Regular Cab Duramax w/allison auto. 4x4 red dually cab and chassis for 28,100 this is just the work-truck package (crank windows and manual locks) which is fine by me.

I called ford and got the same thing as the chevorlet (red also) with the 6.0 powerstroke and the torque shift auto for 32,000

I can't make up my mind on what I want. I am seeing more and more chevys around here alot.

I was thinking Ford because they have that extended warranty 5 yr 60,000

What do you guys think?

Wilson_Cattle_Company":619d80vg said:
I was thinking Ford because they have that extended warranty 5 yr 60,000

What do you guys think?

I think you can buy the same warrenty from GM for much less than the difference you listed.

I would expect way more miles than that though.

I don't if you can buy that same one from GM or not. I forgot to ask but not that I have heard. I will call and ask in the morning. Well, they say 5 years or 60,000 which ever comes first. We could put 60,000 on in a year easy. The Chevy has the 3 year 36,000. Injectors 200,000. Ford doesn't have the 200,000 mile on their injectors.

I am gunna get rid of it before the warranty runs out anyway. That is about what everybody does around here.

D.R. Cattle":15rnau6p said:
Dodge Cummins

I drove an 06 cummins while back and my cheeks went to flappin. I don't know about Dodge though. I have just heard so much about the 4 wheel drive problems and the transmission problems and the body problems..... I just ain't sure yet.

But I would really love to have a new cummins in a ford body and chassis.

Herefordcross":1ss7rkfg said:
Power Struck diesel is hard to beat but, what do I know never owned a Duramx

You got a 6.0

I am leaning towards ford because that is all Dad and I have ever had for pickups. I just don't know if the Chevys body can take the abuse we put on our pickups. We take care of them we just use them awful hard. I gotta make up my mind by Friday. But I just ain't sure. I do sure like the way the chevys ride though they are awful cumfy! Fords are real stiff riding.

Wilson_Cattle_Company":z7j2tzc5 said:
I am leaning towards ford because that is all Dad and I have ever had for pickups.

I made the change. Two generations that i saw of Ford men.

Still drive Fords. Hard to beat my dad's 7.3 2500 for power. Just ain't much on comfort.

If I was driving 60k miles a year, I might weigh in on that.

Wewild":1cgtms8g said:
Wilson_Cattle_Company":1cgtms8g said:
I am leaning towards ford because that is all Dad and I have ever had for pickups.

I made the change. Two generations that i saw of Ford men.

Still drive Fords. Hard to beat my dad's 7.3 2500 for power. Just ain't much on comfort.

If I was driving 60k miles a year, I might weigh in on that.

Yeah but them 60,000 a year come awful hard. They ain't miles I put on driving down the interstate sipping on pop and eatin ice cream. We slam across ditches in heavy mud (when it rains) driving in lots heavy hauling driving pastures and stuff like that.

I hate to even say b/c most of it is opinion but... I have a 01 chevy duramax and it has been a good truck. retired it and let it rest on the farm last year and bought a ford. They have both been great trucks. I dislike dodge to say the least. Had an 01 bought same time as chevy and 2 years 70000 later it was JUNK :mad: :mad: :mad: Also if u are as hard as I am on trucks, ie. Well they did that in the commercial!, u might consider that most oilfield companys run ford and chevy, and they are as hard on a truck as anybody. Just my opinion, don't want 2 get a ford-gm-mopar argument started.

Wilson_Cattle_Company":1ko9i91x said:
Well, I am gunna go test drive this chevy duramax.......I still have a gut feeling I should buy a ford.

Go with your gut

dun

Stay away from them Dodges! ;-) If everybody quites buying them, maybe the price will go down, then it will be time for me to buy another one.

If you got the money to burn, then I'd buy a Ford with the Cummins engine. (F650 and up).

But to answer your question, I'd stick with the Ford over the Chevy. From what I've seen and heard, they hold up better in the ranch envirmonment (twisting, bending, driving down rough roads, etc.)

Wilson_Cattle_Company":3als2b9s said:
Well, I am gunna go test drive this chevy duramax.......I still have a gut feeling I should buy a ford.

Ford would be my choice. Not dissing the others, but I have a long relatively happy relationship with Fords.

I used to work for Cummins diesel.....don't get the dodge.....our vet has a duramax that is in the shop more than the road....i got an F 350 dually and I love it to death !! that 6 liter powerstroke is quiet, plenty of power to go over seven hills (7 mountain tops in 30 miles) into west virginia with a 38 foot 4 horse head to head and only one downshift....mow that IS SOMETHING !!!! no engine problems with her yet.....

1998 Dodge Ram.200,000 miles Cummins diesel ,manual trans.I aint put nothing put oil and filters in it in 8 years.LoveIt.

Latest posts