powder river chute arrived..

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75

Reaction score
really nice! I've never used one.. have a lot of time on a preifert s04 and foremost chutes.

I got the manual XL chute. very nice all around. everything is easily controlled by the operater in one spot. cows ran right in and it held them tight. I put some pieces of rubber on the back door so it wouldn't be so loud shutting.

I'm not sure if the S04 is a better chute or not.. you can't go wrong with either one.

ran over 90 head 2 days ago..

interesting.. mine has none at all on the entry gate. i'll have to call in and ask about it. any chance you can grab me a quick pic? I tried looking online and can't find any pics.

Is this one like it?

manualvaluechute_copy.jpg

ddd75":3nxg5knm said:
nope.. this one is it.

xl-manual-with-neck-extender.jpg

^^^^^^^^This full size chute is similar design to the much smaller Powder River calf tables I've used most of my life, except 40-50 years newer :oops: :oops: :oops: My own PR calf table is red.

I observed at a neighbor's branding a couple days ago. Ran over 200 head through 2 Powder River tables before dinner. Packed up to relocate and do another 100 head after dinner.

One of the guys made an alley splitter out of old stock rack parts along with vertical sliding plywood doors on old barn door track. Comes apart to manhandle on to a flatbed or lifts on to a hydrabed. Branding stove in between the tables with 3 brands going on. Dedicated crew for each table, with one gal giving blackleg shots at both tables. The day went well :)

Dogs and Cows":3iqp269f said:
On manual head gates how does a single person move the cattle down the alley and catch the cattle? By the way...that thing is sweet!

Tim

With manual headgates, at minimum, I'd say you need two people, unless you possess super speed like the Flash or Superman. Spidey speed might work OK :lol: :lol: :lol:

The alternative is to leave the headgate closed. Bring the animal up the chute and put a bar in behind the animal. Then go around and open the headgate if you need to catch the head. Takes lots more time and patience. Working alone has its disadvantages :(

ddd75":vdshrfvj said:
interesting.. mine has none at all on the entry gate. i'll have to call in and ask about it. any chance you can grab me a quick pic? I tried looking online and can't find any pics.

I lied, sorry. Mine does NOT have rubber pads on the entry gate. Sorry about the misinformation.

lavacarancher":e5hj2yhh said:
ddd75":e5hj2yhh said:

I lied, sorry. Mine does NOT have rubber pads on the entry gate. Sorry about the misinformation.

oh ok.. they really need to add some.. that gate is pretty loud. I added thick rubber roofing on the 'banging' points and its almost near silent now.

Dogs and Cows":3ciynocr said:
On manual head gates how does a single person move the cattle down the alley and catch the cattle? By the way...that thing is sweet!

Tim

yea it'd be pretty difficult to do it yourself. I have a farm hand that helps me out. I have a working pen designed so you can get them to the chute pretty easily.

With a preifert s04 model chute you could run them by yourself but it'd still be a lot of running around. too much time to get the medicene ready and everything else AND run teh cattle. if you just had a few head to run it'd probably work.

gonna start freeze branding all my cows in the next couple weeks.. my brand arrived a couple weeks ago.. need to find some dry ice now.

greedy neighbors have stolen another cow and calf.. :deadhorse:

Latest posts