Pour on wormers

Help Support CattleToday:

deaconcreek

Reaction score
I have pregnant and lactating cows that I think have mange or lice. Is there a pour on wormer that is safe to use on them? I have looked at every label and none of them are clear about using them on pregnant cows, or lactating cows.

This is not the time of year to use a wormer like ivermectin as it kills grubs as well as lice & worms. Killing grubs at this time of year could be deadly for the cow if it was not treated for grubs in the fall. If a grub treatment was done in the fall then the use of such a medication will be fine for either open, settled, or nursing cows. Otherwise, use a medication to kill lice only like lysoff. Or wait a few weeks & the warmer weather will take care of the problem on its own (lice problems usually peak in late winter & disappear as the temperatures warm with spring/summer).

I stopped by a vet office about 3 weeks ago to ask about worming and grubs. She said from what she's been seeing it was Ok to go ahead. I don't know what effect local weather might have played in her decision.

Farminlund":24s9er32 said:
This is not the time of year to use a wormer like ivermectin as it kills grubs as well as lice & worms. Killing grubs at this time of year could be deadly for the cow if it was not treated for grubs in the fall. If a grub treatment was done in the fall then the use of such a medication will be fine for either open, settled, or nursing cows. Otherwise, use a medication to kill lice only like lysoff. Or wait a few weeks & the warmer weather will take care of the problem on its own (lice problems usually peak in late winter & disappear as the temperatures warm with spring/summer).

here is something that I need to learn -
assuming you didn't worm your cows in the fall - when could you worm them again and not have to worry about the grub issue?

mdmdogs3":c46qlpmk said:
Farminlund":c46qlpmk said:

here is something that I need to learn -
assuming you didn't worm your cows in the fall - when could you worm them again and not have to worry about the grub issue?

As long as you don;t use a wormer with a grubicide.

dun

As Dun suggests, using a wormer that does not kill grubs like Dectomax & Safe-Guard is an option for the time period the grubs are "moving" through the cattle (late fall thru early spring). Also you could worm with the ivermectin chemical once the grubs have "hatched". This time period varies by location (ie temperatures) but coincides with the beginning of the fly season, so an early summer treatment would be a safe time to worm with ivermectin.

My vet advised me not to use Ivomec with heavey breds. Shorts are OK. I don't know about the grubs. I did my cattle after we got some rain and no dead ones yet. No sickly ones either. All of mine were open cows also. I usually worm my cows only once a year. I was told they will build up an amunity (sp) the older they get. Also to only do calves because they are the most suseptable especially after rains. Seems the worms and what not are swimmers.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":1sidtde0 said:
Then I reckon I done killed 70 head today cuz they werent wormed in the fall and I ivomeced em all. I wonder if 70 gets me serial cattle killer status?

You are killing me, I haven't had a laugh like that in a while. I hope all is well.

Thank you for your comments loosecow (ie full of oscar meyer bologna) - the initial poster did not give their location, so the season for them may be still winter (ie Canada, US Rockies, & even the northeast) which would certainly pose a risk for worming if grubs were still in the cow's system. I will let you read the following as you seem not motivated to find info on your own (from a "Cattle Today" search):

"If cattle are being put through a chute, a pour on is usually the simplest way to control lice. Oil based pour ons are formulated to travel through the hair coat so the chemical spreads over the whole body of the animal. Other pour ons are systemic and absorbed into the body to kill lice, grubs and other internal parasites at the same time. Some of these must be used before winter to avoid toxic reactions due to grubs being killed while migrating through the esophagus or spinal nerve canal.

The dying grubs release substances that cause swelling and inflammation in the tissues (choking or bloat in the esophagus, or temporary paralysis if in the spinal canal), which could lead to death of the animal unless the reaction is reduced with prompt and proper treatment. Check with your veterinarian for advice on insecticides and which products might be best for your situation and climate. Cattle can be treated for grubs after heel fly season is over, no more risk of new eggs being laid, and about three months before the anticipated first appearance of grubs. Treatment for grubs in northern regions should be given before December, while treatments in warm southern states should be no later than mid October."

I think I'll refrain from commenting on any of your future posts as I find your manner not becoming of a "true" member of this community.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":s8oym945 said:
Im just saying that my vet said it was okay. He has been a vet 45 years are you disputing what he is telling me?

I do believe you missed the point. Using a grubacide is speciafic to areas, not just the pregnancy status of the cow. The heel fly cycle is at different times in different areas. What is a perfectly safe time in one locality may be dangerous in another several hundred miles north.

dun

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":1iusa7wh said:
Having said that saying "You shouldnt do it if they were not done in the fall" Is basically like saying dont do it period.

If it was done in the fall, you don;t have to worry about it in the spring because the grubs were killed when you did it in the fall.
If you didn;t use it in the fall, the grubs are alive and well, killing them then can cause problems, upto and including death.

dun

Try to understand that these boards are not just about you. Although late March early April is definately true spring for you, it may not be for others. I think it more responsible to post a cautionary input as I attempted to do rather than to say it's ok to worm now (even if no grub treatment was done in the fall). The key is whether or not the climate has warmed enough for the grubs to have left the animial before you worm with a product like ivermectin (I know that we are currently on the border line here in central VA & would wait a few more weeks if I were to recommned worming w/o a previous grub treatment).

You can post your way loosecow & I'll stick with mine

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":17j74nx1 said:
Yeah they are all doing good. They had lice to is another reason why they got wormed. The hair is already starting to come back. I dont see any scratching at all. None of the 70 died by the way. Isnt that amazing. Whoever said that ivomecin em in the spring would harm them or kill them if they werent ivomeced in the fall is full of oscar meyer bologna

What to you apply when "full of oscar meyer bologna"?

Latest posts