pour-on dewormer???

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan

Reaction score
How long should I wait from using pour-on dewormer until I give a calf a bath? I want to be sure to get the full affects of the dewormer before I start bathing/rinsing the calves on a regular basis. I guess this would also be good info for using pour-on with rain in the forecast. We used Cydectin pour-on on Tuesday. I looked on the box and on the insert but could not find anything in regards to weather or water.

Thanks.

Ryan

If you are going to be giving the calf a bath ever so often why not use injectible wormer?

I know that ivermectin has a warning about rain on its label. I think it says not to treat if rain is expected within 6 hrs. If it does not say so - I would guess (like Eprinex), it doesn't matter. I would wait a day just to be on the safe side since you seem to have that ability to control when they will be getting wet.

There are oil-based pour-ons and alcohol-based pour ons.

The latter washes off more easily.

Ryan":11qguhud said:
How long should I wait from using pour-on dewormer until I give a calf a bath? I want to be sure to get the full affects of the dewormer before I start bathing/rinsing the calves on a regular basis. I guess this would also be good info for using pour-on with rain in the forecast. We used Cydectin pour-on on Tuesday. I looked on the box and on the insert but could not find anything in regards to weather or water.

Thanks.

Ryan

Though its not labeled for oral use, we deworm our show heifers with Ivomec injectable by giving it orally.

Hi Ryan, How about calling or emailing the company, that sells that product. Sometimes, when I an unsure of a product in usage or etc . I bought some milk replacer at the local farmers supply company, the only stuff they had left.. No one there could tell me anything about it, refrigeration after single use, etc, I took it home, and called the company about it, before I opened it up. Some of them have toll free numbers, this one didn;t, but I was not on the phone long enough to rack up a big bill, I use a card that charges less than 3 cents on each minute,, but if calling from a pay phone, it charges a lot more. i mostly use it at home. I would have used their website, but I didn;t want to use too much time, and I needed to know the answer quick. i got my card at Costco. used to be Price club, back home, i renew it with a debit card. Hope this helps Merry

Hi Ryan, How about calling or emailing the company, that sells that product. Sometimes, when I an unsure of a product in usage or etc . I bought some milk replacer at the local farmers supply company, the only stuff they had left.. No one there could tell me anything about it, refrigeration after single use, etc, I took it home, and called the company about it, before I opened it up. Some of them have toll free numbers, this one didn;t, but I was not on the phone long enough to rack up a big bill, I use a card that charges less than 3 cents on each minute,, but if calling from a pay phone, it charges a lot more. i mostly use it at home. I would have used their website, but I didn;t want to use too much time, and I needed to know the answer quick. i got my card at Costco. used to be Price Club. I usually use this card at home, it costs a lot more to use it from a pay phone. I bought this card, back home, I can renew it with a debit card from my bank.i think you have to renew $20.00 minimum. which is 700 minutes. I don;t really know if this is the cheapest or not. But, I got to pinch those pennies Take care, I know i got a little off the beaten track. Merry Hope this proves helpful.

milesvb":1gtlq95q said:
Just wondering, why do you bathe/rinse calves on a regular basis?

they are all show calves. i like to bath/rinse them regularly during the haltering breaking, especially during the summer. helps them get used to me rubbing on them and messing with them.

alabama":2tg96fli said:
If you are going to be giving the calf a bath ever so often why not use injectible wormer?

they are already getting all the other shots... this is just one less shot to give them. way we've always done it i guess.

Ryan":23nttsfw said:
alabama":23nttsfw said:

they are already getting all the other shots... this is just one less shot to give them. way we've always done it i guess.

If you're not careful in the placement, Ivomec can sure leave a big knot on their neck -- sure doesn't look good in the showring does it.

Ryan":12ntx84z said:
milesvb":12ntx84z said:
Just wondering, why do you bathe/rinse calves on a regular basis?

they are all show calves. i like to bath/rinse them regularly during the haltering breaking, especially during the summer. helps them get used to me rubbing on them and messing with them.

I was hoping that was the case. ;-)

farmwife":r8b097ex said:
Ryan":r8b097ex said:
alabama":r8b097ex said:

If you're not careful in the placement, Ivomec can sure leave a big knot on their neck -- sure doesn't look good in the showring does it.

Knots are definantly one of the reasons we use the pour-on. They already get knots from the other shots.

Use Conditions
Varying weather conditions, including rainfall do not affect the efficacy of CYDECTIN Pour-On.

But I'm not sure about a shampoo and scrub

Ryan":kn7kyjbg said:
farmwife":kn7kyjbg said:
Ryan":kn7kyjbg said:
alabama":kn7kyjbg said:

Knots are definantly one of the reasons we use the pour-on. They already get knots from the other shots.

May be telling you something you already know, but we give shots to our show heifers in the fore flank just behind the front leg. If it makes a knot, it's not as big a deal.

dj":2tvy7s73 said:
Use Conditions
Varying weather conditions, including rainfall do not affect the efficacy of CYDECTIN Pour-On.

But I'm not sure about a shampoo and scrub

Thanks a bunch! I thought I had heard that, but wasnt sure. But I always wait atleast a day or two to use shampoo on them.

Thanks again to everyone.

Ryan

Hello,

The pour on type wormers are designed primarily for ranch cattle not show calves, in fact several club calf raisers wont use the pour on because it damages the hair coat and can cause some hair loss, they opt for the oral paste type wormer and have good results, if all else fails, get a fecal float test and see if you even need to worm the animal,

I was told I might have to increase the frequency of worming, however, by fecal testing a random 20% of the herd, we found we had no Liver fluke issues thus had no reason to change to an injectable and still use the Cydectin purple pour on, it has been effective for our herd and shows to be very effective in controlling our herds' parasite burden.

Michelle Pankonien":2rzewhjf said:
Hello,

The pour on type wormers are designed primarily for ranch cattle not show calves, in fact several club calf raisers wont use the pour on because it damages the hair coat and can cause some hair loss, they opt for the oral paste type wormer and have good results, if all else fails, get a fecal float test and see if you even need to worm the animal,

I was told I might have to increase the frequency of worming, however, by fecal testing a random 20% of the herd, we found we had no Liver fluke issues thus had no reason to change to an injectable and still use the Cydectin purple pour on, it has been effective for our herd and shows to be very effective in controlling our herds' parasite burden.

In my area, I don't know of many show folks that use the paste wormers, in addition, I haven't found a paste that does a good job -- I'm open for suggestions on the paste though, cause it would sure be easier.

farmwife":2dm2nagw said:
Michelle Pankonien":2dm2nagw said:
Hello,

In my area, I don't know of many show folks that use the paste wormers, in addition, I haven't found a paste that does a good job -- I'm open for suggestions on the paste though, cause it would sure be easier.
The "SafeGuard" paste does a really good job. Comes in a caulking type tube with a dispensor that you just "hook" in the side of the mouth and squeeze.

I alternate between this and the ivermectins annually.

MikeC":3tz6n4p1 said:
farmwife":3tz6n4p1 said:
Michelle Pankonien":3tz6n4p1 said:
Hello,

The "SafeGuard" paste does a really good job. Comes in a caulking type tube with a dispensor that you just "hook" in the side of the mouth and squeeze.

I alternate between this and the ivermectins annually.

I've used Safeguard, but it just doesn't control as many internal parasites as ivermectin products and it has no control for external parasites.

Latest posts