Pot Load

Help Support CattleToday:

I always thought the typical pot load was 50,000 lbs, but maybe they can haul more than that. Someone that knows a lot more about it than me will come along eventually and give you an answer.

My trucks tare on average at 32,000. In my home state the max weight is 80,000 so I net 48,000 in state. Different states have differnet max weights.

i had a load of cattle brought to me in ks from WI and the truck driver told me that they could haul a total of 50,000lbs.that is the weight of the cattle alone.we had about 48,000.

Now my trucks and trailers that tare at 32,000# will hold 65,000# of fat cattle, The capacity is there, the weight is limiting factor however.

We can't get any of the truckers to load over about 50,300lb. This allows them to be under the 50,000 lb before they get to the first scales.

50,000 is the rule of thumb here as well. You don't need to push it to the limit because you can also be fined for having too much axle weight and still be under on your gross.

My neighbor is only allowed to ship 50K max. in a load. I think fed regs are 80K gross vehicle weight. In Nevada you are allowed to a semi truck and two trailers on the interstate. Calman should know. Maybe he will chime in..

a pot load of cattle is considered 48,000 or 50,000.a full tanker of milk is considered tobe 50,000lbs.

In Texas maximum weight is 80,000 gross. Weight of tractor/trailer will determine how much "load" you can put on the trailer. Must also be able to "axle out" on weight. Louisiana use to issue "harvest permits" which would allow farmers to haul 86,000 (usually grain) but once you crossed a state line you were illegal again. Don't know if they still do that or not.

I should have mentioned that TB, in Iowa we are allowed 88,000 gross during harvest and in my home state we are allowed 88,000 gross during the winter.

manitgotcoldhere2":16yx1myc said:
I should have mentioned that TB, in Iowa we are allowed 88,000 gross during harvest and in my home state we are allowed 88,000 gross during the winter.

Are you restricted to grains etc. or will it allow you to also haul a few more head of cattle?

manitgotcoldhere2":1m0wkodu said:

Why the extra weight in the winter?

TexasBred":1gbvav0i said:
manitgotcoldhere2":1gbvav0i said:

Are you restricted to grains etc. or will it allow you to also haul a few more head of cattle?
grains, hays, stovers, but no livestock.

VanC":2gpglyzy said:
manitgotcoldhere2":2gpglyzy said:

Why the extra weight in the winter?
Frozen dirt.

I've seen truck loads or pot loads sell at the sale barn and they are always around 48,000-50,000 lbs.

tncattle":1dq4aqqw said:
I've seen truck loads or pot loads sell at the sale barn and they are always around 48,000-50,000 lbs.
That's pretty much what everyone considers a "load" of just about anything although I've seen some grain farmers roll in grossing 115,000 or more in their own rigs. Most tractor/trailer rigs will weigh from 29,000 to 33,000 depending on brand, metal used, etc. Had a smart a$$ DPS trooper stop a potload of dairy cattle eyars ago...checked him out..he was not over gross but was over axle. Trooper told him that if he could move the cows around some and get a passing weight he would be ok.....driver just told him to write the ticket. :cry2:

Latest posts