Load of calves

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Next year we will have have enough (mixed heifers/steers) calves from our own farm to make a trailer load and maybe two. We're in middle Tn. (Nashville area). Is it absolutely necessary to vaccinate, wean and bunk break them before selling or can you just load straight to the semi truck the day you separate from their mama's? If the latter I assume you take a hit on the price?

A dime a pound on a 48,000 pound load is pretty significant. It really depends on your market, but I would venture to say preconditioning is worthwhile. $4800 would buy a lot of feed and mortality should be low on homeraised cattle.

If you have 50-100,000 pounds of calves to sell, it would be foolish to not be 2 rounds of shots and weaned. The fact that you ask the question, raises some questions.

Bigfoot":2ts6n6yh said:
If you have 50-100,000 pounds of calves to sell, it would be foolish to not be 2 rounds of shots and weaned. The fact that you ask the question, raises some questions.

That sounds sassy mouth, as I go back and read it. Most truck drivers aren't sweet hearts. Can you load at you place? Can you hold that many calves flawlessly, until the sort and cut are made? Do you have somebody in mind, that wants soft calves?

If you'll do them right you'll put weight on them and make more per lbs too.
Get two rounds of shots, get them weaned, make sure they are cut and on feed for 45-60 days then sell them private treaty or video auction.
Doesn't TN have that green tag program?

Yes, it is critical to give shots. If you have the volume to sell multiple load lots, its certainly to your advantage in terms of a better return to give 2 rounds of shots.
I've mentioned in other posts here that when I buy calves for our stocker operations, I will buy a weaned calf and I will buy a bawler but I don't buy calves that don't have two rounds of shots. Lots of other guys do buy calves with just the shots at branding but all you have to do is look at sales results form video sales to see that the second round of shots pays for itself many many times over in terms of increased price given for the calves.
Honestly, unless you want to put the time in to getting them hard weaned and past all the break that comes at weaning time health wise, as a buyer, I'd rather just have them as a bawler with 2 rounds of shots and my crew will get them weaned.

Supa Dexta":1fb3n826 said:
What are you calling a trailer load? Could be a 16' bumper pull if he doesn't know if he'll have 1 or 2 loads.

That's what I thinking as well, until I reread it (semi truck).

Regardless, personally, I think the answer is the same whether it's three head in a two-horse trailer or a potload.

I'm referring to a potload. Weaning and two rounds of vaccinating is what I was thinking but I just wanted to confirm it. How much above sale barn prices will a potload of steers/heifers bring that are weaned & vaccinated twice?

You can look at Superior Auction results. Use the tab with lot details. Compare weaned calves to the ones that are just calves. The one thing I would be a little concerned about is a mixed load of steers and heifers. It seems to me that they always sell back a ways from loads of straight steers or heifers.

Dave":1fcnxopb said:
You can look at Superior Auction results. Use the tab with lot details. Compare weaned calves to the ones that are just calves. The one thing I would be a little concerned about is a mixed load of steers and heifers. It seems to me that they always sell back a ways from loads of straight steers or heifers.
I would agree.
While their competitors have them beat in a couple other areas, I think Superior does the best job out there of providing the tools to search sales results by about any parameters one can think of to try to find trends in the marketplace.

I have gotten into the habit of weaning as well as the 2 rounds of shots no matter how I am going to market them. Sometimes if it fits my sale schedule I sell on a preconditioned Appalachian Beef Alliance sale, may sell some private, or even in the weekly sale. If mine are done correctly I get the calves grouped, my own pen and all that has been done is announced as they come in the ring. It just offers more options to me and a better product to the buyers.
Sometimes I am the buyer for others calves and I like them to be done the same way.

In a tough market you have to use every tool in your toolbox. Weaning, shots,castrating,bunk broke,dehorned,condition,uniformity,color and load size are all tools. You have to use as many as possible to give the buyers a good quality calf to move on. That also does not give the buyer any reason to discount your calves.

None of us can see your facilities from here or place a value on your time. If you don't have facilities in place and have to start building pens and traps and such it may not be worth it. If a lot of that is in place already it makes it a lot easier. Talk to the people at your local auction and see what the difference in price will be. Its kind of basic math. See what they will bring... see what it will cost you... be sure to factor in risk, hassle, and time. Then you can make the call if its worth the additional money for the additional cost and time.

Dave":t684qqfp said:

Just make sure you look at sale results from your area, don't be fooled by a load of calves sold in Nebraska for example. They will bring 30 cents more than calves in TN.

If you want call the guys at KY-TN Livestock in Guthrie and ask them for marketing options. They will sell the calves on video or they can sell them at the barn. Market has been as good there as any barn within 100 miles of there for the last while. What direction are you from Nashville?

Ojp6":5x14x62b said:
If you want call the guys at KY-TN Livestock in Guthrie and ask them for marketing options. They will sell the calves on video or they can sell them at the barn. Market has been as good there as any barn within 100 miles of there for the last while. What direction are you from Nashville?

Old Hickory, about 9 miles slightly northeast from downtown Nashville.

Latest posts