Best way to load wild cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

darcelina4 said:
I like to take the path of least resistance. I would park the trailer in the pen. Put the feed in the trailer. This would be the only feed in the pen. Have a couple of others with the wild one. Each day, go put feed in and rattle the trailer. When they are eating, rattle it more. The day you want to leave, do the same routine but slam the gate shut when they are eating. Sort off the keepers at the salebarn and bring them back home. Cows are food motivated. Use it to your advantage.

haven't had any real wild ones before huh? Most of the real wild ones aren't food motivated because they don't want to be around humans. They certainly aren't going into the trailer with no way to get out other than the way they came in, and if they do they aren't letting you slam the door behind them.

If they are truly wild 2 things cure it. Running them till they just can't run any more or a bullet.

Again define wild?

A well designed set of pens that are built tall and strong. The loading alley should have a curve in it so they can't see the end (the trailer) until it is their only option. Another person out of sight behind the trailer gate to slam it as soon as the cow goes in.

Try my best to get them into the my barn lot If I can get them in there it's over with cause I'll run them down the chute. If I can't get them to the lot I've got a uncle and cousin that love to rope I'll let them make short work of it

The bull i shot was a bit like this one.....ok slight exageration but not far off! He tasted terrible too!

Warning this video is graphic, most of you would know it.
https://youtu.be/WI3nl6OAZOk

Cowboys, horses, and dogs is generally the fastest and least expensive. I talked with a man a few weeks ago that had an extremely crazy cow he was trying to catch. I was ready for a good story but turned out she just wouldn't go in the pen for cubes like the rest of the herd so he had to sit in the truck for 45 minutes til she did. Some would call her crazy, I'd just call her a cow. Crazy or wild means different things to people.

The vet crew at the sale barn had a sliding scale of crazy; * - all bluff & snort, ** - they'd run past you sideways, *** - they'd run you over to get way, **** - they'd come across a pen and help you over a gate, ***** - that be nice will get you down and camp out on you.
Seen lots of ****'s. The 5's get fewer and fewer as long as market cow prices stay strong.

all i will say experience when your young is fun till you get older and you have things hurt before you open your eyes. on a serious note there are in my area a few young guys that advertise ,they are young and specialize in that sort of foolishness .

Guess we've never had a wild one, they all went where I wanted them to go.

Eventually.

Redgully said:
The bull i shot was a bit like this one.....ok slight exageration but not far off! He tasted terrible too!

Horrible to put any horse through the possibility of getting gored like that. Knowing that bull was a killer. Can well understand people refusing to go into a ring with him. Sorry, but my opinion is that he should have been shot on the second time in the ring and going after another horse like he did. I will give him a pass the first time...scared accounts for something... but not after the second. He was pure hatred towards horses.

farmerjan said:
Redgully said:

Horrible to put any horse through the possibility of getting gored like that. Knowing that bull was a killer. Can well understand people refusing to go into a ring with him. Sorry, but my opinion is that he should have been shot on the second time in the ring and going after another horse like he did. I will give him a pass the first time...scared accounts for something... but not after the second. He was pure hatred towards horses.

Yeah not a nice sport if you could call it that. The one i had i wasn't even going to try getting on a trailer. Yarded him once and he cleared 6ft with ease. But he never saw the bullet coming! Once he was down a couple more shots just to be sure!!

farmerjan said:
Redgully said:

I pretty sure he wasn't fond of the riders either.

That bull should have been given 5 star luxury and retirement with grace, what would anyone expect being tormented like that, the only real problem the bovine has is not being able to recognize the true enemy, which are the nongs on the horses, hope he got a few of them in his time.....

Any animal tormented like that for who knows how long, well, they would be weird if not turned nasty.

Can't say I feel any sorrow for anyone hurt if running the gauntlet like that, or rodeo etc, it is like crying foul if you get hurt in motor sport, only the dumbest of dumb do not know the risks, and even then, that would prob be a bit rich and a stretch....and yeah, that and stabbing bulls is not sport. It is caveman type stuff.

Latest posts