pot bellied yearling bull calf - how do I correct.......

Help Support CattleToday:

Mahoney Farms

Reaction score
hi, I know that this has been on the board before but mostly about very young calves. As stated in the subject I have a yearling bull that has become pot bellied. He is a nice looking bull but looks really extended. I feed him 15 pounds of grain a day with free hay (timothy).....I have noticed grey manure in the pasture but didn't know which animal it came from. He looks like he feels okay, but he is round....Appreciate any info, experience, and advice....jmd :cboy:

Fifteen pounds of grain and free choice hay...sounds like more of a finishing ration. We feed that much grain when finishing...IMO your bull is getting fat and getting to many groceries. We have a Hereford heifer that is hay bellied and she isn't on free choice feed, I guess that some develop a larger capacity. DMc

Susie David":svgkgqjw said:
Fifteen pounds of grain and free choice hay...sounds like more of a finishing ration. We feed that much grain when finishing...IMO your bull is getting fat and getting to many groceries. We have a Hereford heifer that is hay bellied and she isn't on free choice feed, I guess that some develop a larger capacity. DMc

SO TRUE......... :D jmd... :cboy:

Latest posts