POST NATAL STRESS ???

Help Support CattleToday:

cloone

Reaction score
First calf heifer calved last week and refuses to take up with calf. When calving she never got up to smell or lick the ground. Out popped calf and mother walked away refusing to bond. Put heifer and calf into small pen. She let calf suck reluctantly. Never licked calf,eventhough I put some of the slime in her mouth.Things have not improved and cow will only let calf suck when she gets meal. Once finished calf is kicked like a rag doll. What bonding suggestion do you have??

you will have to raise that calf on a bottle.that heifer dont intend to take the calf.nothing you can do to make her take it either.best thing to do is ship her.scott

Give her a day or two she may come around. If she don't take to it real soon. Put wheels under her.

Since its been a week I doubt this will work but worth a try. Put the cow in a stall with a half gate that the calf can get under. Leave them there alone. Put the heifer in the chute if you have to force her to feed the calf. After a couple of days of this she may let the calf under the halfgate to suck.

This is one the the unfortunate quirks of nature...by this time the heifer should have bonded to her calf, now its an inconvience,,,bottle feed the calf if it is worth the effort and sell the heifer, she will never be a good cow. Dave Mc

As it sounds like a pretty easy birth, I would bottle the calf and the heifer would get a one way ticket to the nearest sale barn.

My first calf heifer did the same thing - she'd only stand for nursing while I hand fed her cubes. After two weeks, I was ready to shoot her...let her out with the other cows and kept an eye on the baby...he'd follow her around, nursing whenever he got a chance. After three weeks, she started licking him and letting him nurse in the usual position. She's fine with him now (6 weeks) and he's growing quite well. I'll see how she does with the next one before I consider getting rid of her.