Post heat/breeding, bleeding are they open or bred?

Help Support CattleToday:

Nite Hawk

Reaction score
I have always understood that of a cow bleeds after heat/breeding
That she is still open. A vet told me that is not always the
Case, she can bleed and still be bred. What is the general
Thoughts out there on this issue??

All the bleeding means is that she ovulated. Has nothing to do with pregnancy other then they have to ovulate in order get pregnant

Well maybe I didn't quite make myself clear, I do realize only very very well that an animal must ovulate and be bred to become pregnant, However what I was wondering is---some warmblooded creatures do not bleed post ovulation as a general rule if they conceive, but I have been told with cattle , it may or may not mean they have concieved or not, It varies from who you talk to whether it means they are open or bred.
I was wondering what the general thoughts were out there in "cattle land"
Thanks...

I watch for the ovulation blood for every cow/heifer that I AI. The timing of it seems to make the difference whether or not pregnant, not whether there is blood or not. Seems if I see it within 12 hours, not a good sign; but at around 24 hours (but less than 36) has been the optimum, for me anyways.

If you are talking about the small amount of blood seen 2 to 3 days AFTER they are in heat, then it has absolutely nothing to do with pregnancy. The blood is thought to be caused by the bursting of the ovum from the ovary. And it does not happen all the time, only sometimes. So whether the cow is bred on that heat or not has nothing to do with that blood.
We AI just about everything, and I see our cows every day, twice a day. I have seen cows with blood conceive on that heat, and some not conceive on that heat. I have tried to relate it to conception, but in the hundreds I have seen, there is no pattern I can detect. Even our cows that get an embryo 7 days after standing heat have no difference on conception if they had/did not have the blood show.
I hope that answers your question...

Nite Hawk":ekaeyop5 said:
I was wondering what the general thoughts were out there in "cattle land"
Thanks...
I think you're going to drive yourself nuts worrying about it. Fifteen years of seeing an average of six thousand head of cattle in some early stage of reproduction every day for weeks at a time has taught me that the only sure sign that they're bred is a new calf on the ground.
I see mucous on pregnant cows, blood on hot cows, puss in the mucous, etc. The way to get cows pregnant is to ignore all of that and put semen into the right spot on hot cows and not look back.

Thanks for the replies,
I have gotten conflicting comments from even vets on post heat / breeding--bleeding in cows, so was wondering what the general thoughts were from out there in "cattle land"...