Post Drivers

Help Support CattleToday:

case14123

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a new Post driver and I am looking for a good one ,I wonder should you buy a hyd auger or not.
The one I hve now is 3pt and manual settings and would like 3pt hyd adjust .What brands are best and will hold up. I have looked at WheatHeart.

I have a Shaver 10 inch with manual adjustment, 3pt. My biggest complaint is the slop in the adjustment linkage, allows the driver to tilt back toward the tractor when you release the ram. My dad has an older Danuser, not as strong but doesn't tear up the posts like mine. The Wheathearts are very nice units. Really like the looks of the little arm with rollers that swings around and holds the post back to the driver. Might help posts stay straighter being driven, and save a few fingers as well. Dad's neighbor borrowed his one time, now has a thumb, pinky and three nubs on left hand. :|

I have seen the newer Shavers with the swing-around-thingy that holds the post... they look good.

I've used one like what you describe, cfpinz. And my complaints are exactly as you describe. You think you've got it set, then it moves again. We had to find a short toplink- anything to lessen the give when we drove posts.

The Wheatheart heavyhitter is the cadillac of pounders; will drive in any conditions; love the self contained pull type w/ Honda motor. Most other pounders are not even close to being in the same class........biggest problem is Wheatheart's price....they're expensive!

Scout - I went and looked at Shaver's website. I'd never seen a Shaver with an arm on it. Would like to see one in person, arm looks kinda weak. I'd thought of welding one up myself similar to the ones on the Wheatheart, with a small hydraulic cylinder to swing it. Spent a few hours using mine here today, posts go a lot straighter in muddy ground! :lol: :lol:

case- We run on a large and fairly scattered acreage and being able to pull the pounder with a truck saves a lot of time. As far as getting into tight spots it all depends on your driving skills and the limits you want to expose your worktruck to :lol: BTW we rent heavyhitters when we need them; about a 100 bucks a day but you can accomplish a lot in a day!

cfpinz":htqk6rz2 said:
Scout - I went and looked at Shaver's website. I'd never seen a Shaver with an arm on it. Would like to see one in person, arm looks kinda weak. I'd thought of welding one up myself similar to the ones on the Wheatheart, with a small hydraulic cylinder to swing it. Spent a few hours using mine here today, posts go a lot straighter in muddy ground! :lol: :lol:

When I saw it in person, I tried to flip the arm thingy around - I thought it was pretty stout. Maybe I was weak that day. :) However, I haven't seen any other brands - Shaver seems to be the popular one in our area. The arm was spring-loaded, from what I remember. I remember thinking that it'd really hurt if I got my fnger caught under it when it snapped around on the post.

I have a john Berands which is made here in australia it is one of the cheapest here but has a few good points about it.

It is three point linkage mounted and the biggest problem that i have had with this is getting enough angle on it on extrem slopes.

It has a saftey cage that stopes you putting your fingers in the way when droping the weight. when the cage is open there is a saftey latch that stoppes the weight from being dropped on you when you positioned the post.

There is no need to fit a high flow hydrolic oil return with this modle

I have used to to bang is some posts into hard ground and never needed to use an aurger frist

hope this helps

Latest posts