Possible pneumonia?

Help Support CattleToday:

AdamsCreek

Reaction score
I got an older cow I noticed last week was separating herself from the rest of the bunch and not coming to the truck at feeding time. Her feet and eyes look fine but she's losing condition and has no go in her. Used to be real flighty now just stands still when I pulled the truck around her. I finally got her and her calf caught tonight. No swelling anywhere and she's drooling and slobbering and nose is running. My best guess with the temp changes and non stop rain is pneumonia but I'd like some more opinions if y'all got them. Also due to her age and temperament I'm thinking about sending her down the road. How long do I have to keep her off antibiotics before she can go to the sale barn?

Every antibiotic is different. Withdrawal times are listed on the box/bottle or in the literature, but figure in the 28 day range for meat , for many of them. Some are 7 days if I remember right. Excenel is 0 withholding for milk and maybe 3 or 5 days for meat. How old is her calf? Maybe ship them right now, but if she is looking sick, then you would be better off treating her and getting her back on her feet. Any chance with the losing condition she might have hardware? That'll run them down too.

Can't believe I forgot to just look at the box. Her calf is 3 months old. There isn't a sale close to me until Saturday morning so I gave her a dose of la300 tonight because that's all I had and wasn't real sure she was gonna make it until Saturday morning without it. I don't think she's run down enough for hardware and everything coming out the back end is still pretty dry. Thanks for the advice Jan. I always appreciate your responses.

Thank you. I try and am by no means an expert.
Since you gave her LA 300, then she will be there for probably a month. Do you have any Sulfa boluses? I would also give her the recommended amount of that. Then in 2 days, get some probiotic gel down her to get her gut tract working. Antibiotics will kill all the good and bad bacteria.
And/Or call the vet. Might be they would recommend Draxxin. It works good but is expensive. Another thing, if you are going the vet route, Multi-min would definitely not hurt her.

So..... what's her temp? That will tell you in a right hurry.

I've had a bunch of calves with pneumonia - quick thermometer under the tail, read 104.5 shot of banamine and nuflor and right as rain in 12-24 hrs.