Possible Liver fluke (Fasciola hepatica)

Help Support CattleToday:

"Worming" them is not the solution. A good preventative, but that ain't gonna fix your problem.

I've got cows that have NEVER been wormed.

Edited to add....

Guess I ain't in another country either. But still

Murray, for the most part, the typical nematode parasites (worms) that we see in cattle here in the US are not 'life-threatening'... I don't generally even consider or recommend deworming adult cattle over 2.5-3 yrs of age. But... liver flukes are a different story... if you are running cattle in an area where they are endemic... regular treatment is probably needed.
Albendazole (Valbazen) and Ivomec Plus/F(ivermectin+clorsulon) are probably the two most commonly used anthelminthics in the USA that have activity against liver flukes.

Murray, for the most part, the typical nematode parasites (worms) that we see in cattle here in the US are not 'life-threatening'... I don't generally even consider or recommend deworming adult cattle over 2.5-3 yrs of age. But... liver flukes are a different story... if you are running cattle in an area where they are endemic... regular treatment is probably needed.
Albendazole (Valbazen) and Ivomec Plus/F(ivermectin+clorsulon) are probably the two most commonly used anthelminthics in the USA that have activity against liver flukes.
Thank you for clarification.

Perhaps we will hear good news soon then!

Hi everyone so just to throw an update out there. It looks like we have the situation under control for now, we dewormed all the cattle, gave them doses of oxytetracycline 4 days apart. Used a product vigantol AD3E (Made by Bayer) and another product which is called Hematofos B12 with iron. Unfortunately we lost a total of 6 cows. The cattle that were sticks and bones are still thin, but they are putting back weight and their calves look great. We still don't know the cause but we think it could of been the following.
Used the wrong dewormer either wrong amounts or some cheap stuff that never took care of the problem.
Cheap vitamins.
Not replacing needles after every cow,calf or sires get treated.
And the last one sounds a bit crazy, the cattle started to loose body condition at a higher rate with the minerals we were given them. I haven't spoken to the representative that sells the product, unfortunately down there they won't take responsibility if something happens. But so far things are better.

Thanks to all that pitched in with their thoughts and advise and how to nip this in the bud.

Hi everyone so just to throw an update out there. It looks like we have the situation under control for now, we dewormed all the cattle, gave them doses of oxytetracycline 4 days apart. Used a product vigantol AD3E (Made by Bayer) and another product which is called Hematofos B12 with iron. Unfortunately we lost a total of 6 cows. The cattle that were sticks and bones are still thin, but they are putting back weight and their calves look great. We still don't know the cause but we think it could of been the following.
Used the wrong dewormer either wrong amounts or some cheap stuff that never took care of the problem.
Cheap vitamins.
Not replacing needles after every cow,calf or sires get treated.
And the last one sounds a bit crazy, the cattle started to loose body condition at a higher rate with the minerals we were given them. I haven't spoken to the representative that sells the product, unfortunately down there they won't take responsibility if something happens. But so far things are better.

Thanks to all that pitched in with their thoughts and advise and how to nip this in the bud.
Good to hear some news.

I hope to hear better stuff. I really enjoy seeing your animals.

Based upon picts I would say you have a real bad issue with coccidilliosis, and a parasite issue. To loose condition that quick and be that skinny. I have fought it a time or two.

Based upon picts I would say you have a real bad issue with coccidilliosis, and a parasite issue. To loose condition that quick and be that skinny. I have fought it a time or two.
We never had diarrhea or blood in the stools. But it could be that we had that or something similar. 🤷‍♂️ well never find out but they are doing so much better than before.

Latest posts