Status
Not open for further replies.

chippie

Reaction score
:shock:

Cow Tax Proposal would threaten agriculture viability

11/14/2008
Ken Hamilton, Executive Vice President

"With the economy in bad shape and the possibility of a deep recession looming, the Environmental Protection Agency is proposing to levy new taxes—on cows and pigs," American Farm Bureau Federation Director of Regulatory Relations Rick Krause told Wyoming Farm Bureau members at their annual meeting. Krause spoke in Sheridan on Nov. 7.

"This is no laughing matter," Krause said. "The cow tax and the pig tax are parts of a larger scheme by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to regulate greenhouse gases under the Clean Air Act."

"Under the proposal, if a state charged the "presumptive minimum rate" from the EPA, the cow tax would be $175 per dairy cow, $87.50 per head for beef cattle and a little more than $20 per pig," Krause explained.

Krause explained that the U.S. Department of Agriculture says that a producer with more than 25 dairy cows, 50 beef cattle or 200 hogs would emit more than 100 tons of carbon and be subject to the permitting requirements. "These thresholds would impact 99 percent of dairy producers, over 90 percent of beef producers and 95 percent of hog producers in the United States," Krause stated.

According to Krause, the EPA has issued an Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking in preparation to regulate automobile greenhouse gas emissions under the Clean Air Act (CAA). "The regulation of automobile emissions automatically initiates other provisions of the CAA," Krause explained. "One of those provisions requires permits from anyone who emits more than 100 tons of a regulated pollutant per year and there are millions of sources that emit more than 100 tons of carbon."

The Title V permits, that are essentially a cow and pig tax, are supposed to contain provisions designed to reduce or eliminate the emissions of the regulated pollutant. "Cows and pigs methane emissions come from natural and biological processes," Krause stated.

"The economic costs to producers from the cow and pig tax would be great and could cause the cost of beef, pork and dairy prices to rise," Krause continued. "The cow and pig tax would impose severe penalties on livestock producers in the United States without effectively reducing greenhouse gas levels in the atmosphere."

The comment deadline for the cow and pig tax is Nov. 28. Visit http://www.wyfb.org to find the link for information.

And some folks thought I was crazy when I warned of this type nonsense a year or so ago. Just wait and see but you can always thank me for a tree - better yet - pay me my fee. :lol2:

ga. prime":rebhud6a said:
I still think you're crazy if you think that BS idea will ever get past this page.

Its all part of cap and trade and these green collar jobs they keep talking about. I sat thru three days discussion on the subject and believe me, its total nonsense. It will be the downfall of agriculture in this country. Nevetheless, its in the works and its just a matter of time. By the way, your governor put a lot of your tax dollars toward this end - so I guess its already past this page.

baxter78":2r9iuegr said:
ga. prime":2r9iuegr said:
I still think you're crazy if you think that BS idea will ever get past this page.

I heard that. NCBA and the rest of us cattle folks wont stand for it.

That's just cause they aren't idiots. But look at where all the voters live and how easily misled they are. This won't confront them. Its amazing how many people are buying into AlGore's fear tactics. There is already the option to pay extra for green electricity in the Atlanta area. When this becomes mandatory people are going to be upset and people are going to want to make the someone - other than themselves - pay. In their small minds this will only be fair. Forget all the other ungulates like deer, buffalo etc. Forget the marshes, swamps and bogs. Forget the compost piles in the organic gardeners gardens. Forget the volcanoes. This is different. You can't make them pay - at least not yet.

The tax is a reality in Europe. I have a friend from Holland and the farmers there pay tax on their livestock.

chippie":2zzsjays said:
The tax is a reality in Europe. I have a friend from Holland and the farmers there pay tax on their livestock.

This movement is much farther along than most realize. I for one was shocked at learning this as I thought it was a joke and would never get off the ground. Unfortunately it is not. Some Erupean countries have threatened to put tarriffs or boycotts on american products if we do not comply. So I doubt a few dirt farmers and cow wranglers aren't going to stand in the way of the interests of big business on a global market. Free trade is wonderful isn't it?

dun":2guwsq30 said:
We already pay property tax on our cows.

Does this in anyway influence your breeding schedule? At the moment, we are exempt but pay state income tax and all when they are sold.

Who counts them for tax purposes? Just wondering cause I've been trying to count my new calves. I know how many I have but I just try and get a head count to be sure none are missing. I hate to say it but I don't think I can count cause my count is never the same and never reaches the right number.

Jogeephus":3o2qi6en said:
dun":3o2qi6en said:

Does this in anyway influence your breeding schedule? At the moment, we are exempt but pay state income tax and all when they are sold.

Who counts them for tax purposes? Just wondering cause I've been trying to count my new calves. I know how many I have but I just try and get a head count to be sure none are missing. I hate to say it but I don't think I can count cause my count is never the same and never reaches the right number.

Only weaned calves and older are counted as of January 1 for each year. I think I pay more property tax on the mule then I do on all the cows combined. But we have a very low tax rate

Never heard of property tax on livestock around here. I guess if it ever comes up and I get audited, I'll have to open the gate and loan them to the neighbor for the day. When he gets audited, I'll borrow them back.

dun":6rt21via said:
Jogeephus":6rt21via said:
dun":6rt21via said:

Only weaned calves and older are counted as of January 1 for each year. I think I pay more property tax on the mule then I do on all the cows combined. But we have a very low tax rate

Thats good. If your county ever starts thinking about riding the "grant express" fight it with all your might as this could change your tax rate considerably. Ours has tripled since we got all this free money.

Jogeephus":mo014hb3 said:
And some folks thought I was crazy when I warned of this type nonsense a year or so ago. Just wait and see but you can always thank me for a tree - better yet - pay me my fee. :lol2:

All I will say is those of you that wanted Obama & the democrats in control :help: ...... now you got them.please assume the position :banana:

I do not think this will get off the ground for the same reason that farm subsides are still going on, the farm state senators hold a lot of power. I think Iowa is one of the biggest pork states so could you see the 2012 presidential candidates going there to campaign.

We pay property tax on our livestock. The pet lovers are pushing for the national pet and livestock chip identification here. If this passes a copy will go to the tax assessor no more counting until you have to pull of your left boot and stop.l This already voluntary, if the state chips your animals they have the right to come on your farm at any time to check your animals.

So I guess, if this passes,....I lease the property to some rich-wannabe-hobby-rancher type who just wants to raise beef for the write-off? I don't see it happening, the ag industry has more power than you might think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts