Popcorn and corn maze

Help Support CattleToday:

iowahawkeyes

Reaction score
We got my popcorn harvested yesterday. Not ideal conditions as we had snow the other day and it was still on the stalks but an ice storm was coming so we got it done. It was down bad from a bad wind storm 2 weeks ago so it was ugly. We had planted 3 kinds of popcorn: our ruby red, a blue (which really is more lavender), and a rainbow. The rainbow ended up being a 4" ear with tiny kernels that I sold more for decoration than anything, but it does pop and taste good. We'll plant a larger version of that next year. The blue yielded good as it is about 8-9" ear. I'm trying to figure out who we can market that to yet... Our red yielded good too. I planted 2 1/2 acres of it (compared to 1 last year) and that's good b/c we ran out of last years crop.

The corn maze was flat after that big wind. It's double planted and the stalk strength is not good when you do that.. I'm not sure what the yield was. I told my kids I'd give them a nickel an ear if they go pick them up.

Now there is a good coating of ice on everything and a late school start. Glad we got it done!!

This might be a dumb question but does the colored popcorn pop out white or is it colored like the kernel?

It pops bright white, I answered that question probably 100 times. Every day I would pop some up in the store and give away a bag to customers. They would be eating it and walking around and would say we sell the corn and they would not believe it. It never ceases how people don't understand where their food comes from. Kind of sad I think.

Yes, that's how big ours was this year. I know that most are much bigger, buy honestly I don't charge that much($4) and who really wants to be in a cornfield that long? It takes about a 1/2 hour in the day and can be longer at night.
It was a little smaller b/c the popcorn was planted first and the maze got the rest of the space. I don't do a "picture" but a puzzle. All my other years they were square, this year I fitted it to the space available.

Latest posts