Poor Season

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Poor season this year only killed two deer.
Bumper acorn crop never seen anything like it in my lifetime.
Every species of oak was loaded this year.
Seen 23 bucks this year on my place and only two legal.
Guess DD and I will chasing tree rats tomorrow, might get lucky
and get a shoat to boot.

Our small (12') English White Oak had HUGE acorns this year.. we planted it about 3 years ago, it probably had 5 lbs of acorns on it.. not bad for a small tree, they were about 3/4" around and 1.5" long.

What is the deer population doing there Caustic? Are you having a down season because of to many acorns limiting movement, the higher antler restrictions or is it because of declining deer numbers. Numbers have been real low here for a few years now. I haven't even been deer hunting in two years now.

Deepsouth":17hsh420 said:
What is the deer population doing there Caustic? Are you having a down season because of to many acorns limiting movement, the higher antler restrictions or is it because of declining deer numbers. Numbers have been real low here for a few years now. I haven't even been deer hunting in two years now.

Season is down due to acorns like walking on marbles and antler restrictions.
Population looks to be stable buck doe ratio is getting out of whack with too many bucks.
The antler restriction law needs to be reworked, it is protecting the culls as illegal and left to breed the does.
I don't believe this was the original intent just a consequence of not thinking this through.

Lots of acorns here too, but that hasn't kept them out of my oats and ryegrass right behind the house--took this from my back doorway last week. (there's one that was out of frame in this shot and another right behind the top right of the backhoe rops)
Just a few weeks ago (Christmas Day, this is the very same place my family gathered to do their shooting--the deer are standing right where my son was shooting skeet in this thread)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=95968

deer22_zpsdemy2i3b.jpg

Latest posts