Poor Kid

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Found "Big Boy" this afternoon. Nice old buck. I'm guessing a 5x5. I could see the gray on his face.
Son is excited, his first deer.
Well he is just over 400 yrds out. Watch him jump our fence and head into the cow pasture. We go out after him. See him on the hill side just across from us about 250 yrds. Tell my son to put the cross hairs on his back and when he stops broad side shoot him. I watch through the binoculars see the deer turn broadside and stop. Good shot take him....................... No shot. The deer walks over the hill. I know which trail he is taking so we head over to a different spot to get another shot at him.
He is now about 275 yrds out. Watching him chasing does and wait. He gives us another broadside. Tell him to put the cross hairs just a little over the top of his shoulders and shoot. He shoots and misses. Dang.
Look at my son and he is rubbing a spot between his eyes. What had happened? Didn't listen to Mom about the kick of the gun and the scope edge got him.
Not only did he miss getting a nice buck, but now he has a "horn" between his eyes.
Didn't think my .243 kicked.
He learned.

I call it the half moon club. Dont that, when I was younger. Bled like a pig. Got a half moon scar nearly between the eyes.

No big deal, stuff happens, its part of hunting and definitely not a poor kid. He is rich in that he has a memory of you and he hunting together that he will always remember. Also brought home a good campfire story to tell his friends and children one day. I'd say he is a rich kid who has good parents that care about him. Its not bagging the game but the experience and the memories the hunt gives you. Good job. Next one will be in the truck I'm sure.

That sounds like fun :D Not the injury :( But the adventure you 2 had. 8) 8)

You still have 10 days to harvest the big guy. I'll be watching for pics. 8)

Tell your son I just joined the club this afternoon. :oops: Had to go to the doctor so I couldb't fit in a "real" afternoon hunt so with limited daylight left I stepped into a back field to check on some heifers and low and behold a nice ten point was standing at the back of the field. I missed. :oops: There must have been too much rack on him for me to hit him cause I know I could have pierced its ears had it been a doe. :oops:

Gonna give the trophy hunting another week or two then freezer meat rules are going into effect for the does. ;-)

Common Joe :) We're all pullin for Ya :p Lets score here soon,
We need a story and pics. 8) 8)

atleast he remembered to cock his gun.

yup missed my chance at the monster i've been eyeing all summer. got too excited.

and i've shot 3 times so far this season. two out of the 3 i've got myself with my scope. i shoot a 7mm 08. holy SH!T that hurts. :oops: :x im so lucky i dont bruise easy.

its so easy to say thats hunting but at the end of the day its true.

he wont forget this lesson either.

cattleluvr18":3pkpvtp7 said:

yup missed my chance at the monster i've been eyeing all summer. got too excited.

and i've shot 3 times so far this season. two out of the 3 i've got myself with my scope. i shoot a 7mm 08. holy be nice that hurts. :oops: :x im so lucky i dont bruise easy.

When I had the gun shop I had a customer that came back from his annual elk hunt with stiches over his eye every year. I had him mount the gun like he does to choot it and he had plenty of eye relief. I took him out to the range and after a couple of shots, when he quit really paying attention to how he was cheeking it he got wacked in the eye. When he really would bear down and concentrate he was crawling the stock. I put extended rings on the rifle to move the scope forward and the problem went away.

dun":5mrwivys said:
cattleluvr18":5mrwivys said:

and i've shot 3 times so far this season. two out of the 3 i've got myself with my scope. i shoot a 7mm 08. holy be nice that hurts. :oops: :x im so lucky i dont bruise easy.

When I had the gun shop I had a customer that came back from his annual elk hunt with stiches over his eye every year. I had him mount the gun like he does to choot it and he had plenty of eye relief. I took him out to the range and after a couple of shots, when he quit really paying attention to how he was cheeking it he got wacked in the eye. When he really would bear down and concentrate he was crawling the stock. I put extended rings on the rifle to move the scope forward and the problem went away.

thats the thing. im not paying attention to where my heads at, i get all excited and in a hurry just to get that thing in my scope with the crosshairs behind the shoulder, i forget how close i am to the scope.

thankful i didnt need stiches :shock:

oh well, live and learn. that goes for everyone ;-)

Gun is shooting high. Last day finally got a deer, we got a dry yearling doe. Only saw "Big Boy" twice this year. Oh well there is always next year.

I LUV, when I was teachin' my Son to shoot I gave him a .243 because I didn't think the kick was much. He was doin' pretty good until I took my eyes off of him one round and he slipped the stock under his arm. Now he's got this little scar in his right eyebrow. His Momma sure gave me heII 'cause she didn't want him huntin in the first place.

Latest posts